• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Can anyone tell me why we went to zone blocking?

DaveThePanther2008

I read the other day that we are running a zone blocking scheme (Maybe I misread it).  It is obviously not working.  Why are we running this type of scheme considering our offensive line was much better running the ball with a normal approach last year. 

Sanders drivers me crazy as he is always pitter pattying when he approaches the line.  I guess he's waiting for the zone blocking to work and find a hole.  It's not working.  Why isn't Hubbard being used more often?  He at least pounds the hole better. 

I don't think it's Campen but I do believe it is Brown and Reich's scheme.  It just doesn't make sense that our line looks so bad compared to last year.  Got it Corbett is out but damn. 

Thoughts.

• Pie 1

One day, this coaching staff will wake up and realize they can’t turn plow horses into racehorses 

…add to it, with four freakin TE’s, maybe, just maybe, one could be in the backfield to block vs the constant trips right or left 

countless times, I’ve watched Sanders run straight into the pile when the other side of the line was wide open 

oh yeah, Chubba, not used…Blackshear not active and Herbert not active   Blackshear has burst…it is a total mystery to me.

I’ll tell you this, Young isn’t going to survive without a run game

….think he could have taken that hit to the head Dalton did? I don’t.  And Andy shouldn’t have to either…  Nfl needs to be like college and start ejecting for that foul 

Edited by raleigh-panther
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2

19 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

One day, this coaching staff will wake up and realize they can’t turn plow horses into racehorses 

…add to it, with four freakin TE’s, maybe, just maybe, one could be in the backfield to block vs the constant trips right or left 

countless times, I’ve watched Sanders run straight into the pile when the other side of the line was wide open 

oh yeah, Chubba, not used…Blackshear not active and Herbert not active   Blackshear has burst…it is a total mystery to me.

I’ll tell you this, Young isn’t going to survive without a run game

….think he could have taken that hit to the head Dalton did? I don’t.  And Andy shouldn’t have to either…  Nfl needs to be like college and start ejecting for that foul 

Blackshear is probably the only back on this roster who might conceivably have success in whatever run scheme reich is using. But yet he cant even get a jersey on game day. The hallmark of a bad coach is refusing to deviate and adapt when it’s clear that your personnel don’t fit your scheme. So far reich’s stubbornness is on par with Fox but without the success that Fox still had at times. 

• Pie 2

Offensive line built for power running pass blocks for 40-50 times a game and the LT jumps on the first possession of every game

Running backs built for stretch plays and  off-tackle runs go up the gut every run play, spin or hop once and lose a yard

Wide receivers with no speed or separation sent on slow-developing pass routes before sitting down with a DB in front of them

Quarterbacks built for quick passes expected to find WRs when they’re not there and extend plays when 5 OL can’t block 3 DL

It’s an awful mix of terrible team building, pathetic coaching and poor decision-making. Add injuries and this is the perfect playbook to go winless in a season.

• Pie 8
  • Beer 1

Yeah so we ran zone blocking some last year too but it was a little different. 

McAdoo’s playbook was really centered around vertical runs between the tackles. This consisted of Whams, Traps, Gap-Backer responsibilities, and ISOs. He did mixed in some zone running from time to time. But most of the time he was playing vertical to set up a quick PA read for Darnold or PJ.

The run portion of a west coast offense (especially within the spread) utilizes the zone run to create a path to the outside or allows an athletic back to find his own path through the zone lanes that the linemen create. This really helps build your RPO and screen game.

You can run more complicated concepts, I actually seen Frank run a couple traps and some Whams against NO. So it’s in the playbook.

Short answer, it’s just because Frank wanted that kind of offense.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1