• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brian Burns

5 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

We clearly thought we were a more complete team than we are. Switching to a 3-4 plus a whole new offensive scheme means we really have to retool our roster. Use that $30 million on several players plus get more players out of the draft picks. It’s nothing against Burns if we were making a playoff push I’d be ok with paying him but we have so many holes and positions that need upgrading. 

I'm not disagreeing with your logic. I'm saying the 30 million isn't something we cant afford. My argument is we dont have a lot of money tied up anywhere. paying burns would be easy right now because we dont have any superstars or pro bowlers. we dont have 500 million tied up in a qb like say the Bengals or chiefs.

The cap is also rising significantly so 30 million today would look like a deal tomorrow. and i doubt burns commands what bosa did maybe 25-28 mil.

• Pie 1

59 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

I mean thats fine to say. It could also be said he was at his best with reddick across from him to take some of the double teams away. That doesnt exist now. As far as Pass rusher pure speed pass rushers I would say hes top 3. He lacks a power move but being elite at anything is better than the panthers have right now.

I meant the poor FO is correctable. Not sure what the point of the rest is, as it seems to agree that Burns is a complementary piece. Those pieces aren't worth top dollar.

Edited by KSpan

5 minutes ago, KSpan said:

I meant the poor FO is correctable. Not sure what the point of the rest is, as it seems to agree that Burns is a complementary piece. Those pieces aren't worth top dollar.

Pass rushers who are elite demand top dollar. If a guy gets double digit sacks every year i think thats the bar for elite? that commands top dollar does it not?

40 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

I'm not disagreeing with your logic. I'm saying the 30 million isn't something we cant afford. My argument is we dont have a lot of money tied up anywhere. paying burns would be easy right now because we dont have any superstars or pro bowlers. we dont have 500 million tied up in a qb like say the Bengals or chiefs.

The cap is also rising significantly so 30 million today would look like a deal tomorrow. and i doubt burns commands what bosa did maybe 25-28 mil.

We’re not in the position to pay a DE that money. As much as the FO won’t admit it, we are rebuilding. Start with your young QB we’ve invested so much into and overpay for another guard and WR to protect your investment. Build the D through draft and free agency 

44 minutes ago, Fright said:

Similar.. with the same complaints from fans. “Disappears” “takes plays off” “plays poorly against the run” etc

Burns is nowhere near Peppers, who made huge splash plays and would simply take over games at times. Peppers would be, at times, the best player on not just the defense but the entire field. Burns is never that.

2 minutes ago, jb2288 said:

We’re not in the position to pay a DE that money. As much as the FO won’t admit it, we are rebuilding. Start with your young QB we’ve invested so much into and overpay for another guard and WR to protect your investment. Build the D through draft and free agency 

Warein the perfect position to pay anyone because we dont have any star or qb under contract long term. We are in the bottom of the league as far as talent so paying burns wouldnt stop you from having additional cap for whatever else you were planning on doing. Cap isnt really a issue right now.

Just now, micnificent28 said:

Warein the perfect position to pay anyone because we dont have any star or qb under contract long term. We are in the bottom of the league as far as talent so paying burns wouldnt stop you from having additional cap for whatever else you were planning on doing. Cap isnt really an issue right now.

Just because you say it doesn’t make it true lol

if we want a legit #1 WR to come to this dump of a coaching staff we’re gonna have to consider ponying up $25M. Couple that with a Brown extension which I really hope we do, you wouldn’t suddenly be able to throw $30M at Burns.

I’m not even saying he isn’t worth it in a vacuum, but when you add the context of having to build around your massive investment into QB it is a legit discussion. Plus it’s not only the cap savings, but the draft capital you’d get (which hopefully Fitt is gone for by then) 

21 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Burns is nowhere near Peppers, who made huge splash plays and would simply take over games at times. Peppers would be, at times, the best player on not just the defense but the entire field. Burns is never that.

Nowhere near? Might want to check their first 4 year stats… might surprise you how similar they are. Peppers also had the luxury of playing alongside Jenkins and Mike Rucker… but again.. the reasons fans want to get rid of Burns is EXACTLY the same reason fans wanted Peppers gone.

57 minutes ago, Fright said:

Nowhere near? Might want to check their first 4 year stats… might surprise you how similar they are. Peppers also had the luxury of playing alongside Jenkins and Mike Rucker… but again.. the reasons fans want to get rid of Burns is EXACTLY the same reason fans wanted Peppers gone.

Stats do not tell the story at all. Please tell me when Burns has blocked field goals, taken an interception 100 yards the other way, picked a fumble out of the air and returned it for a TD... just a handful of his impact plays that go beyond the stat sheet. Burns is very good, but it is flat out incorrect to say he's on Peppers' level  even year-for-year in their careers.