• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce critics - let's be honest

NAS

5 hours ago, NAS said:

If you look at my post history I was a CJ Stroud guy, so miss me with being a Bryce fanboy or coddler.    However, I think the kid can be a really good QB if he gets put into a better situation.   I don't know if he will be great, or have the same ceiling as AR or Stroud,  but I think we should lookin in the mirror and self reflect by asking ourselves a few questions:

1. Is it Bryce Young's fault that Panthers traded up to pick him at #1? 

Your anger should be directed at the FO not the rookie QB who is trying to develop in an extremely difficult situation.

2. If Bryce was 6'2" instead of 5'10" and had the same identical performances, would you feel the same away about his progress as a rookie QB? 

Be honest.  You would probably give him a much longer leash but you're playing into the optics of him being small as the reason for not performing better.  

3.  If Ian Thomas catches the TD on the ball that hit him in the hands, or Bryce has even decent offensive line protection, Panthers win the game yesterday and Bryce wins with over 100 QB rating and Panthers are 1-3 instead of 0-4.    Would you still be saying he's a bust?  

I'm just saying, 3 games into his career, this is a major overreaction.  Trevor Lawrence was terrible most of his rookie year, but people didn't call him a bust because he's tall,  Jaguars didn't trade up to get him, and he had a terrible coach.  Bryce should at least get a chance to play out his rookie year and support him along the way.

I don't mind having Bryce as our QB. He needs to sit and watch the game before him. He was thrown to the lions. Instead, he was claim to be the savior we needed and deemed to start from day one. Preseason showed us he was not ready to go, and the coaching staffed failed in not telling Tepper he was not ready to go as the number one QB. He looked like Corral did the previous preseason, but he was given a pass and due to an injury, he sat out last year because he was a 3rd round pick. We needed to be truthful with ourselves and many said he would be okay due to his study habits and his high football IQ. Well time to sit him and let him go to school while Andy leads this team. We aren't winners this year and no matter how hard we want it. We should face the fact most wins might come in the 2nd half of the year.

• Pie 1

In a vacuum, I maintain that Bryce is classic rookie and looks like one. Am I disappointed in the losses so far? Yep. Disappointed in the turnovers? Yep. Wish he could just throw the go-get-it balls more? Yep, yep, and yep. But he's still a rookie in the classic sense of the word.

The hard part is out of the vacuum when the context is taken with Stroud, who indeed looks to be the goods at least for now--we'll see what happens when more coaches have film on him though later in the year. 

The Huddle should be honest that if Stroud, AR, and Bryce were all performing similarly, or if the alleged "S2 Stroud" was showing more than the "UGA game Stroud" a lot fewer people would be apoplectic about him, but that's not the case so here we are.

We seem to all forget that he was the consensus #1 pick (except for Chris Simms) all year. No asterisks. Was it Bama bias? Maybe. Or, was it anti-OSU-QB bias when it came to Stroud not being consensus #1? Maybe. So even if was a "Tepper pick", it was a pick that 30 other franchises would have taken given the chance--which many tried to have with Chicago.

As a hypothetical, people who are already "over him" should ask themselves if they would trade him ASAP. The only places he could go are probably the Rams or Broncos...maybe Minnesota since Cousins is clearly done there. Murphy's law, he'd be traded to the Rams who'd move on from Stafford soon and become Brees 2.0 with McVay. Or be traded to Denver right now with Payton and Jeudy to throw to...and become Brees 2.0 there. I'm not sold on Minny's coaching staff, but having Jefferson and Addison as receivers could be something.

Just imagine this place if he were to light it up the day he's out of a Panthers uniform...

• Pie 2

6 hours ago, Racist Cat Lady said:

I think if Frank can dial up some plays that give Bryce the opportunity to throw longer than 15 yards that would quiet a lot of critics.  I believe so much of these problems falls on coaching.  The game management miscues alone are that of a rookie head coach, it’s unacceptable.
  On a side note, offense as a whole seemed much better in the hurry up.  

The impression I got from Reich's presser is that they did draw up some deeper routes, but they abandoned them for some reason. Sounded like BY changed the Play. Am I wrong?

6 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

1. No.

2. Yes. It's not about height for me. The arm talent is obviously lacking and he already looks gun shy to throw downfield.

3. If we want to play whataboutism what about if the defender would've caught that gift of a 99 yard pick six?

Show me a WR open down field that Bryce missed. You won’t and can’t. 

16 minutes ago, BrisbanePanther said:

Just imagine this place if he were to light it up the day he's out of a Panthers uniform...

and you know he would just like CMC is now staying healthy and even Baker Mayfield looks like he can play again

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Lurk21 said:

Look at this play and tell me Bryce didn't have a chance to pass it deep for a TD. Yes the play calling could improve  but no way you can say he is taking shots that are there. He had Chark 2 separate times but wouldn't let it go  too. 

https://x.com/SeifertESPN/status/1708842144146784613?s=20

Guys don't get anymore wide open than that in the redzone in the NFL.

• Pie 1

21 minutes ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

The best he looked all day yesterday was the non-completion and then hurry up to get another play snapped before the Vikings could challenge it.  Just a thought.

he had a throw to miles in the flat that was over the shoulder miles didnt even have to stop running.