• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If Bryce busts, was that the worst trade in the history of the NFL?

Captroop

9 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

bryce isnt a bust and spending time going through a hypothetical that may not come true is waste of time. He has played 3 NFL games. I dont know why you want to endure the suffering of something that isnt true. This is topic for 2 years from now.... if it does become true.

People aren’t happy and want to burn someone at the stake over a game. It is what it is…

If we're playing hypotheticals, it wouldn't even be close to the worst even if Bryce colossaly busts. It's not even in the running just for the last couple years. Trey Lance, Russell Wilson, probably throw in DeShaun Watson unless he completely turns things around. You can even consider a trade like Jamal Adams with 2 1sts for one of the least valuable positions in football who has barely stayed on the field and got a record setting contract l. At least it's defensible to give a lot for the 1st pick for a team desperate to find a qb. 

The Wilson and Watson ones are important because they hamper their franchises for years with their albatross contracts. Bryce is dirt cheap and we could reboot easily by 2025 if needed. We basically traded an extra 1st and DJ Moore who was getting $20 million per year and not moving the needle with our overall putridness. I honestly think Bryce could definitely pan out and it's stupid to write off a rookie qb after 3 games who has been hampered by some of the worst oline play in the league, the least athletic receiving core and bad playcalling. But I humored you with this response. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, PappyMay said:

If it’s our pick the bears take Williams with I would say it has to be up there.  At this point I’m just hoping to get to 4-5 wins so it’s not. 

I'm not buying that either.  If we stayed put and didn't make that trade we would have zero chance at Caleb Williams.  So it's not like we missed on him because of the Young trade.  

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

😄not even close.

The Saints trading an entire draft + a 1st & 3rd the next year to draft a RB is FAR worse.

But they got multiple 1,000 yard seasons, a playoff run AND they got 2 first round picks BACK for Ricky Williams. I don't see how that trade can even be in the conversations for worst of all time.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

Partially yes overall more so because they picked the wrong person. Can't get to caught up in the we would have had a top 3 or whatever pick in the draft because without that trade they are probably rolling with Dalton or another vet QB again and maybe end up with to many wins again for a top pick.  Sadly we here now and have to let this play out with nothing to go by right now but hope 😔

• Pie 1

36 minutes ago, Daniel Mullaly said:

I’m just drained by the thought that if Bryce doesn’t pan out, the Panthers are a couple more years away from being relevant. And it’s been years already. 

Hopefully they blow up the team properly and start hoarding picks. I don’t know why Tepper gave Rhule a 7 year contract but they didn’t really tear down the team. 

• Beer 1

37 minutes ago, Captroop said:

I know it's only 3 games, so we can't know at this point, hence the "if." This is purely a thought experiment.

I'm genuinely trying to think of a worse one, and I can't do it. Two firsts (and at this point looking increasingly like 2 top-3 picks), a second, and DJ Moore. That amount of capital doesn't seem like the kind of thing you take a flyer on. That's the certainty of taking a perennial All Pro, with a 10+ year career.

If Bryce just doesn't pan out, have the Carolina Panthers earned the ignominy of making the worst trade in the history of the NFL?

Please find a counter-argument. Please.

A pick swap means we only gave up one first since we got their first. I dunno why this is lost on so many people unless it's just an exercise in hyperbole. 

Trey Lance is the most recent in regards to a bad trade up, it's simply masked due to what we lack...competent offensive play-calling...

I am not convinced Brock Purdy is ''that'' guy -- Tent Williams, Deebo, Aiyuk, CMC, Kittle are all number one options on the same team. 

Add in a competent run scheme that existed BEFORE they inserted CMC with guys like Mostert, Tevin Coleman, etc. 

Our issue right now is the insistence on running this basic, outdated, flat offense. 

• Beer 2
  • Flames 1

Just now, SetfreexX said:

A pick swap means we only gave up one first since we got their first. I dunno why this is lost on so many people unless it's just an exercise in hyperbole. 

Trey Lance is the most recent in regards to a bad trade up, it's simply masked due to what we lack...competent offensive play-calling...

I am not convinced Brock Purdy is ''that'' guy -- Tent Williams, Deebo, Aiyuk, CMC, Kittle are all number one options on the same team. 

Add in a competent run scheme that existed BEFORE they inserted CMC with guys like Mostert, Tevin Coleman, etc. 

Our issue right now is the insistence on running this basic, outdated, flat offense. 

I highlighted why I don't think it's as high in terms of being a bad trade, because the stakes were lower. They have a team brimming with talent. They could afford to take a swing on trying to hit on a franchise-changing QB.

We have had a dearth of talent for years, traded away one of the few playmakers we had, and gave ourselves less capital to try to build with. We DEPENDED on Bryce hitting, where I don't think the '9ers did with Lance.

I think the state of the team also needs to be factored in on a trade.

55 minutes ago, Captroop said:

I know it's only 3 games, so we can't know at this point, hence the "if." This is purely a thought experiment.

I'm genuinely trying to think of a worse one, and I can't do it. Two firsts (and at this point looking increasingly like 2 top-3 picks), a second, and DJ Moore. That amount of capital doesn't seem like the kind of thing you take a flyer on. That's the certainty of taking a perennial All Pro, with a 10+ year career.

If Bryce just doesn't pan out, have the Carolina Panthers earned the ignominy of making the worst trade in the history of the NFL?

Please find a counter-argument. Please.

Lol na worst trade is def the herschel walker trade or russell wilson trade

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1