• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

List of NFL coaches fired after one season (2011-present)

TheBigKat

Chose the most current era

• Hue Jackson, Las Vegas Raiders, 2011
  • Mike Mularkey, Jacksonville Jaguars, 2012
  • Rob Chudzinkski, Cleveland Browns, 2013
  • Jim Tomsula, San Francisco 49ers, 2015
  • Chip Kelly, San Francisco 49ers, 2016
  • Steve Wilks, Arizona Cardinals, 2018
  • Freddie Kitchens, Cleveland Browns, 2019
  • Urban Meyer, Jacksonville Jaguars, 2021
  • David Culley, Houston Texans, 2021
  • Nathaniel Hackett, Denver Broncos, 2022
  • Lovie Smith, Houston Texans, 2022

this isn’t some ‘taboo’ matter. If the coach stinks, you have to move on, admit your mistake. The worst thing we can do is another off cycle GM/coach fire. If we’re getting rid of Fitterer this offseason then it’s prudent to can Reich as well. Hire a football president who picks a GM who hires a coach (Evero would be a candidate to hire) and we go from there

this geriatric all star coaching tree (Reich, Capers, Caldwell) the game has passed them by

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, DIO84 said:

Unless you're in some scandal, or some outrageous situation, a coach should NEVER be fired after one season.  It's beyond stupid, I've always said, and still say, that they should be given 3 years.  

Was probably fair advice 20 years ago but think that had passed. An average coach yes, after 3 years they can become the guy but if you have an awful coach and you know after 1 season, you have to pull the trigger. I’m not saying Frank is that yet

• Pie 1

It's too early to say if Frank should be fired although I'm certainly leaning that direction. I'm of the opinion that if you're the coach of the team with the worst record in the NFL, you should always be fired. Doesn't matter if it's your 1st year or if you won the Superbowl the year before. If you are the coach of the worst team in the NFL, you should be fired. 

• Pie 2

Frank would have to go damn near winless to get fired. I could see him getting axed if he’s at like 0-12 or something. But I think he would be replaced by somebody on the staff the rest of the year and next year to keep from having to rebuild the staff again.

I do have this theory though that Tepper wouldn’t put Evero in as the guy. Even though he’s the obviously choice, I got this feeling he would pick somebody like Chris Tabor, Josh McCown, or Jim Caldwell or Staley causing everyone to be in mass confusion.

4 minutes ago, Dorian Gray said:

Firing him and promoting Evero would have a similar impact of Wilks over Rhule, I think. We'll wait too long to do it... If we do it at all (we won't).

I don’t know that he would even take it and taint his HC record. He could probably just wait until the end of year and get a job with a different team, build his own staff, and not have a dumbass GM to deal with.

41 minutes ago, DIO84 said:

Unless you're in some scandal, or some outrageous situation, a coach should NEVER be fired after one season.  It's beyond stupid, I've always said, and still say, that they should be given 3 years.  

Look at that list of coaches fired after one season. Which one was a mistake?