• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Smith Sr. Wants You All To Relax

TheCasillas

Just now, ForJimmy said:

Bryce Young has a lot of folks to prove right and a lot of folks to prove wrong. Hopefully he starts pushing the ball downfield and makes defenses respect his arm 🫡

• Pie 4

Just now, frankw said:

Bryce Young has a lot of folks to prove right and a lot of folks to prove wrong. Hopefully he starts pushing the ball downfield and makes defenses respect his arm 🫡

I’m all for the wait and see approach. The positioning any analyst that doesn’t agree with a certain viewpoint in a negative light seems just lazy IMO. 

4 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I’m all for the wait and see approach. The positioning any analyst that doesn’t agree with a certain viewpoint in a negative light seems just lazy IMO. 

Well in fairness a good bit of social media sports journalism is bottom of the barrel slop nowadays people taking a stance for clicks and whatnot. Can't blame some folks for looking at some of it in a negative light. And in sports fans will be quick to praise one take while blasting another if it fits their perceived bias. We're all guilty of that it's pretty common behavior now. Let's just hope we begin to see the light soon because the longer this drags out the worse it's going to get for all of us.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We just need to start to see some signs that he has the physical tools. Because right now we're stuck trying to convince ourselves that very ordinary NFL throws are super specialty give ourselves something to cling to.

I agree the offense needs to push the ball downfield more but a lot of that is play calling as well. What kind of physical tools are you wanting to see? I mean he isn’t going throw a rocket like AR, but keeping plays alive and making the right reads are going to be where he needs to shine and has shown he can do it a couple plays. We just need more consistency in Young, our running game, our OL, hell pretty much our entire offense. 

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, frankw said:

Well in fairness a good bit of social media sports journalism is bottom of the barrel slop nowadays people taking a stance for clicks and whatnot. Can't blame some folks for looking at some of it in a negative light. And in sports fans will be quick to praise one take while blasting another if it fits their perceived bias. We're all guilty of that it's pretty common behavior now. Let's just hope we begin to see the light soon because the longer this drags out the worse it's going to get for all of us.

Agreed. More importantly @TheSpecialJuan is back!!

• Flames 2

11 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

why does he have the training wheels on?

Training camp was wasted by Bryce not getting reps. This entire preseason was not treated with the urgency it should have been. The entire spiel of “it’s just preseason” attitude carried over in the season. Bryce may never reach the lofty goals of being a superstar. However, he has enough skill to be as good as many of the current starting quarterbacks. Reich calling the plays for Bryce is not working. Counting preseason this team has lost 7 straight games. It will be next to impossible to find any offensive line help in season as many teams have similar needs, but that is where the focus should be. I feel Bryce has been damaged by lofty expectations that he may never reach with his skill set. 

5 hours ago, KSpan said:

If that were really the case then I'd like to think they'd be taking away his ability to do so.

Not me because Bryce has to learn to not only trust the play calling and their ability to see and figure out defenses from experience but to also take their experience and combine it with his own, with trusting himself. Comparison is the best way. Mistakes will be made and that's a good thing. His processing needs tweaking and it will take time. That's what Frank means when he says Bryce needs to feel comfortable in his own skin; he's not there yet. It'd be the same whether it's Reich or Brown calling plays. At some point soon the light bulb will turn on, I believe in the kid.

I don't know if anyone remembers but Chudzinski gave Cam one play and did not let him make audibles at the LoS. So what was Cam left with when the play broke down? Making the play himself, either running around the backfield to avoid sacks or scrambling down the field for yards. I don't know if that is suitable for Bryce.

6 hours ago, GRWatcher said:

Not me because Bryce has to learn to not only trust the play calling and their ability to see and figure out defenses from experience but to also take their experience and combine it with his own, with trusting himself. Comparison is the best way. Mistakes will be made and that's a good thing. His processing needs tweaking and it will take time. That's what Frank means when he says Bryce needs to feel comfortable in his own skin; he's not there yet. It'd be the same whether it's Reich or Brown calling plays. At some point soon the light bulb will turn on, I believe in the kid.

I don't know if anyone remembers but Chudzinski gave Cam one play and did not let him make audibles at the LoS. So what was Cam left with when the play broke down? Making the play himself, either running around the backfield to avoid sacks or scrambling down the field for yards. I don't know if that is suitable for Bryce.

I think the one thing we don’t have enough information on is that Bryce seems to “kill” a lot of plays. Is he making the right calls or is he being fooled by the defense. 

• Beer 1

15 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

I think the one thing we don’t have enough information on is that Bryce seems to “kill” a lot of plays. Is he making the right calls or is he being fooled by the defense. 

I have counted 3 checks at the line that Bryce came away with his head down. The body language tells me that he knew he checked out wrong. The vikings brought a lot of exotic blitz schemes. There was one play they had 8 players in standing positions at the line... not a single down lineman....

• Pie 2

I definitely think Bryce is in his own head right now. We always knew that his success was ultimately going to come down to outsmarting the defense, not making chicken salad out of chicken poo with physical talent. Pre-snap reads, audibles, etc. But he's still an NFL Rookie and he might just be trying to do too much mentally right now. It's up to the staff to help him reel that in.

• Pie 3