• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How does it feel Christian McCaffrey is getting buzz as MVP frontrunner?

CamWhoaaCam

I think CMC is a very good player who quit on the Panthers.  Just my .02 cents.

I can understand why he quit (the team sucked, Rhule, etc.), but don't necessarily agree with how it all played out.  I understand he was injured, but we've all seen guys play through the back end of recovery of an ankle injury and not sit out the rest of the season.  CMC is no Thomas Davis.

He got what he wanted though, he's with Shanahan and his boo on the West Coast.

• Pie 1

23 minutes ago, Rocky Davis said:

I think CMC is a very good player who quit on the Panthers.  Just my .02 cents.

I can understand why he quit (the team sucked, Rhule, etc.), but don't necessarily agree with how it all played out.  I understand he was injured, but we've all seen guys play through the back end of recovery of an ankle injury and not sit out the rest of the season.  CMC is no Thomas Davis.

He got what he wanted though, he's with Shanahan and his boo on the West Coast.

I think it was more of the team shutting him down than him sitting out.

There was nothing to gain in playing him in meaningless late season games.

On 10/3/2023 at 6:44 PM, frankw said:

It will be interesting to see how that "give the ball to CMC" formula goes in the postseason when they run into the Eagles again.

People want to use his success with Shanahan and all that talent they have there on both sides of the ball as a reason why we should have kept having him eat up a huge chunk of our salary cap without a franchise quarterback because they value feels over actually winning.

You shouldn't be doing anything at this point except for eating crow. You were one of the main posters on here claiming he should be traded. It totally makes sense to pay him 16 million a year considering he's one of top players in the league regardless of position. He's not "just a RB". The panthers made a bad decision trading him, and you were on board with it.  Bottomline.

Not sure why you refer to the NFC championship game against the Eagles. Despite losing their QB at the beginning of the game, McCaffrey still had a really good game with over 100 total scrimmage yards and a TD.

1 hour ago, USC/panthers_11 said:

You shouldn't be doing anything at this point except for eating crow. You were one of the main posters on here claiming he should be traded. It totally makes sense to pay him 16 million a year considering he's one of top players in the league regardless of position. He's not "just a RB". The panthers made a bad decision trading him, and you were on board with it.  Bottomline.

Not sure why you refer to the NFC championship game against the Eagles. Despite losing their QB at the beginning of the game, McCaffrey still had a really good game with over 100 total scrimmage yards and a TD.

You can't make him the face of your franchise my guy. We traded up a ton to draft ours this year and we're still waiting to see something to justify it. You are going nowhere without a QB. And you also need a legit coach. The full package. The 49ers have that and a stout defense built with picks they used from being terrible for several seasons. We do not have that.

But his team got blown out. You sound like one of those silver linings fans that loved his "banner year" where he set records but we only won 5 games. If that is what you like hey more power to you. That's not how you build a contender and that was never going to work for us here. I'm sorry if you are having a hard time reconciling with that man. But that's life.

59 minutes ago, frankw said:

You can't make him the face of your franchise my guy. We traded up a ton to draft ours this year and we're still waiting to see something to justify it. You are going nowhere without a QB. And you also need a legit coach. The full package. The 49ers have that and a stout defense built with picks they used from being terrible for several seasons. We do not have that.

But his team got blown out. You sound like one of those silver linings fans that loved his "banner year" where he set records but we only won 5 games. If that is what you like hey more power to you. That's not how you build a contender and that was never going to work for us here. I'm sorry if you are having a hard time reconciling with that man. But that's life.

We could've kept him and still drafted a QB, and the QB would be on a rookie contract for 4 to 5 years.  We could've easily afforded McCaffrey during that time. 

The 49ers got blown out in that game because Purdy got injured in the early stages of the game, and there was a significant drop-off when the backup game in. If I remember correctly, he couldn't even complete a forward pass. Why are you using this has an example?

Again, you wanted McCaffrey gone, and he is one of the best players in the league regardless of position and could potentially be HOF player. You don't get rid of guys like that, bottomline. 

13 minutes ago, USC/panthers_11 said:

We could've kept him and still drafted a QB, and the QB would be on a rookie contract for 4 to 5 years.  We could've easily afforded McCaffrey during that time. 

The 49ers got blown out in that game because Purdy got injured in the early stages of the game, and there was a significant drop-off when the backup game in. If I remember correctly, he couldn't even complete a forward pass. Why are you using this has an example?

Again, you wanted McCaffrey gone, and he is one of the best players in the league regardless of position and could potentially be HOF player. You don't get rid of guys like that, bottomline. 

My friend McCaffrey would not be performing the way he is behind this oline. Not even close at all. We have many needs. We saw many times how it went when we tried to make him the focal point of our offense and almost every time we lost. It just didn't work here. You've got to let it go. Good luck.

Edited by frankw