• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The State of the Panthers

Mr. Scot

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

Everyone needs a break. If you leave, I'll see you when you get back. I told Scot the same thing, and he's already back😀.

Not exactly, truly just long enough to respond to a couple of people. Meant for it to be in the other thread, but hey... 😕

I will address one other thing though.

7 hours ago, Evil Hurney said:

😳 What kind of offense are you proposing here?

No, that was most assuredly not intentional, but it figures 😆

• Pie 1

Fitt's get out of jail free card in the past has been "oh that wasn't Fitt's idea, that was Rhule's." So Fitt should have been fired for the Sam Darnold franchise destroying blunder, but fans said Rhule picked Sam and twisted Fitt's arm. Then Rhule made Fitt offer way to much for Sam (no other team was even making offers), and then Rhule made Fitt sign the fifth year option. This is the type of imaginary fan protection recieved by Fitt for some reason. 

So then Fitt unloads a HoF level RB, and our biggest receiving threat for draft ammo for Young. Couldn't he have traded defensive players for draft ammo. Of course he could have, but he chose not to do so. Now Fitt is locked into this Young decision. If Young flops, then Fitt is going to be fired. He should have already been fired and run out of town and banned from returning to Charlotte for life for the Sam Darnold disaster, but we're somehow blaming Rhule for that. Fine. Fitt is getting blammed for Young if he doesn't pan out. I don't want to hear that Frank is to blame. I don't want to hear that Tepper's wife insisted on drafting Young. Finally Fitt is going to take responsibility.

• Flames 2

I can't get aboard the patience for Fitt train. The fact he felt we were just a QB away from competing shows how poorly he understands and evaluates as a GM. It's been an ongoing thing ever since he was hired, throwing assets after the big score, trying to win with a lotto ticket over and over again. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt with Rhule being here, but it seems that both were equally incompetent.

The team is in a worse spot talent wise than we were when he was hired, and we weren't in a good spot then either. It'd be one thing if our team looked competitive and we were losing close games due to bad luck/injuries but we are getting run over week in and week out. We need a hard reset. Clean house top to bottom, GM to scouting to coaching.

There's no reason the team should be as bad as they are this year, and unless some SIGNIFICANT improvement happens over the next few weeks through the bye, no one should be safe. 

Also, wishing for the best for you and your wife. It absolutely sucks having to watch a loved one suffer/be sick. 

• Pie 5

11 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I can't get aboard the patience for Fitt train. The fact he felt we were just a QB away from competing shows how poorly he understands and evaluates as a GM. It's been an ongoing thing ever since he was hired, throwing assets after the big score, trying to win with a lotto ticket over and over again. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt with Rhule being here, but it seems that both were equally incompetent.

The team is in a worse spot talent wise than we were when he was hired, and we weren't in a good spot then either. It'd be one thing if our team looked competitive and we were losing close games due to bad luck/injuries but we are getting run over week in and week out. We need a hard reset. Clean house top to bottom, GM to scouting to coaching.

There's no reason the team should be as bad as they are this year, and unless some SIGNIFICANT improvement happens over the next few weeks through the bye, no one should be safe. 

Also, wishing for the best for you and your wife. It absolutely sucks having to watch a loved one suffer/be sick. 

Logged on to check a couple of private messages, but also wanted respond to this...

I expected having patience for Fitterer to be an unpopular sentiment (said so) but I base it in a few things:

- I don't think it's fair to evaluate him based on the Rhule years because of the power structure

- I've long said that you have to assess coaching and GM combinations more so than individuals, and this is only year one of this particular combo

- Minus one or two potential exceptions, i see a lot to like in the current front office structure that Fitterer has built

But here's the biggest point...

I don't trust David Tepper to know who to fire any more than I trust him to know who to hire. 

The guy who dumped Ron Rivera while keeping Marty Hurney only to let Hurney and Steve Drummond (basically two PR guys making football decisions) replace him with Matt Rhule has done absolutely nothing to earn anyone's trust.

That's why I wouldn't want to see any decision made without a consultant like Kevin Colbert or someone similarly qualified advising the decision.

Bring somebody like that in and I'd sign on to pretty much whatever suggestion they make.

Letting Tepper do anything at all on his own prior to that is just too big a risk. We could easily end up throwing the baby out with the bathwater and starting a new chapter of the same story.

Fitt was never a good hire and he turned out to be exactly what he was called out for and hid behind Rhule and Tepper. Maybe he is just a yes man or maybe he is wildly incompetent, either way he is not good and there is no solid justification for keeping him vs a long list of reasons to move away from him at any time. 

It shouldn't take 2 or 3 years to see positives from a rookie QB and there are a lot of bad play being blamed for the quality at that position. 

Fan how you want and believe what you want but that goes for everyone. There just is not much good to talk about and there isn't a change yet in the current direction so here we are. Everyone knew that after Rhule and Wilks they just had to be solid yet they have fallen on their faces completely. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Logged on to check a couple of private messages, but also wanted respond to this...

I expected having patience for Fitterer to be an unpopular sentiment (said so) but I base it in a few things:

- I don't think it's fair to evaluate him based on the Rhule years because of the power structure

- I've long said that you have to assess coaching and GM combinations more so than individuals, and this is only year one of this particular combo

- Minus one or two potential exceptions, i see a lot to like in the current front office structure that Fitterer has built

But here's the biggest point...

I don't trust David Tepper to know who to fire any more than I trust him to know who to hire. 

The guy who dumped Ron Rivera while keeping Marty Hurney only to let Hurney and Steve Drummond (basically two PR guys making football decisions) replace him with Matt Rhule has done absolutely nothing to earn anyone's trust.

That's why I wouldn't want to see any decision made without a consultant like Kevin Colbert or someone similarly qualified advising the decision.

Bring somebody like that in and I'd sign on to pretty much whatever suggestion they make.

Letting Tepper do anything at all on his own prior to that is just too big a risk. We could easily end up throwing the baby out with the bathwater and starting a new chapter of the same story.

The combo of Fitt and Reich is winless thus far. If things don't vastly improve then I don't want to end up like the 16-18 browns with Hue Jackson and Sashi Brown at HC/GM where ownership sat on their hands for 3 years even though it was painfully obvious things weren't working. 

1 hour ago, Ricky Spanish said:

It's hard to know where Tepper ends and Fitterer begins when it comes to the draft. There are rumblings in the media and former players that Tepper wanted to trade up for Young and that he thought we were a QB away. Now having said that, Fitterer did a piss poor job of building this team. Between the two of them this franchise is in complete shambles and I think you are going to see a exodus of good players go to better teams because of how things are being handled here. I do not expect Burns to be on this team next year. I also do not expect good free agents to sign with us, unless we offer way more money than other teams, but even still they may not sign. The only way to get this team back on track is through the draft, but we have given away most of our better picks. 

This is the kinda slop you get when you don't hire a coach and GM at the same time with close to the same philosophy...especially when you know its a rebuild... fire this coach bring in a new...fire this gm bring in a new.... There just never seemed to be a thought out plan after rivera from the guy (or gal) who makes all the decisions. 

Relevant comment...

I'm not sure I see it on the defensive side as much because I had thought previously that we were better suited to a 3-4 than a 4-3 personnel wise.

But with the injuries on the defensive side and the issues we've seen with the run defense, It might be worth reexamining.

• Pie 1