• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Could Both Fitterer and Reich Be Safer Than We Think?

tukafan21

3 minutes ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

What are some poor roster moves he has made?

The ones that have led to being 0-5.

How is his big money RB looking? How is his journeyman of a disappointment of a former 1st round pick TE that he paid like a legit starter looking? Has anyone seen Justin Houston yet? Everyone on the forum is bitching about these WRs and they're all guys Fitts has brought here. The coach everyone is complaining about? Hired under Fitts.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

17 hours ago, WhoKnows said:

Stop it with the if they were forced. Scott and Frank had a damn love fest for Young. Frank even called it a proposal. They both got interviewed about it and I think it was Scott that said they told each other at the same time after the evaluation and both said Young. They even mentioned that Young was on top at the start and finish of their evaluation.

Here’s one of many articles that basically said everyone wanted Young from the start through the end:

https://www.si.com/nfl/panthers/.amp/gm-report/what-scott-fitterer-frank-reich-said-about-bryce-young 

The Tepper forced their hand poo is just BS. Reich has sucked as a coach so far and Fitt has sucked as a GM. Simple as that.

The most concerning thing about that article was the “one moment that really stood out about Bryce” wasn’t something he did on the field. First and foremost this is football and you pick the best football players and they fell in love with what Bryce said, not what he did on the field. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

Reich is getting at least two years (as is Bryce.)

Fitt is getting at least the vast majority of this season; if they are 1-14/0-15 and still look like a tire fire, he will be the sacrificial lamb around the holidays to let them get a jump on finding a replacement. Don't think that changes much in the big picture, though.

My preference at this point would be to give everyone a shot through 2024. This season is washed and there is no pick waiting at the end of the shid rainbow. Trade Burns if you can get a first this year, tag him if you can't, or maybe his inconsistency lets you sign him to a reasonable deal at $20-$22 AAV. Make moves on the margins in the offseason, hit on the very high R2 pick or trade back to restock a bit, see how next season goes, and if it's still crud, clean house when you have a top 5 pick (new GM, HC, and QB in alignment instead of constantly playing musical chairs with the most important jobs in the franchise.) Stop trying to microwave a fix (i.e. acquiring Teddy/Darnold/Baker, firing Rhule midseason instead of leaning into the tank, the trade for 01.01, etc.) and have some patience.

Edited by SteveSmithGaveMeAShiner

19 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

The entire fan base wants Fitterer gone and many have already given up on Reich.  To us fans, it seems obvious that Fitterer is already on borrowed time and it's only a matter of when, not if he'll be fired, with the day after the season ends being the longest he might stick around.

But I was just thinking about it, and if the fans are right and Tepper forced them to pick Bryce, particularly if both of them liked Stroud more, could that buy both of them much more leeway than we've been considering?

Yes, I know the team has a lot of problems, but when your biggest problem is the QB's play, if the owner forced the pick over what both the HC and GM wanted, it might be hard for him to then fire them all too quickly.

Particularly as if say he did fire Fitterer soon, if Tepper forced that pick over what they wanted, there is basically a 100% chance that information gets "leaked" out there, and that would make it quite difficult for Tepper to attract a quality candidate to take the GM role moving forward.  If the owner is forcing such an important decision like that over the objections of both the GM and HC, then I can't see any quality GM candidate ever considering the job.

What I don’t understand is… why keep the job if the owner is making decisions for you? Why would frank continue to coach if he wanted someone different. Then you’re back in the same position you were before. 

19 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Tepper doesn't seem like a guy with enough humility for this to be the case. If he forced the Bryce pick I think he's most likely to blame everyone else for why this kid that he himself identified isn't lighting the league up like he should be.

Yeah I think Fitterer is gone. Reich might be gone if we continue to lose.

The worry is that Tepper will slant the next GM / HC search towards someone who claims they're able to work with / build around Young.

1 hour ago, SteveSmithGaveMeAShiner said:

Reich is getting at least two years (as is Bryce.)

Fitt is getting at least the vast majority of this season; if they are 1-14/0-15 and still look like a tire fire, he will be the sacrificial lamb around the holidays to let them get a jump on finding a replacement. Don't think that changes much in the big picture, though.

My preference at this point would be to give everyone a shot through 2024. This season is washed and there is no pick waiting at the end of the shid rainbow. Trade Burns if you can get a first this year, tag him if you can't, or maybe his inconsistency lets you sign him to a reasonable deal at $20-$22 AAV. Make moves on the margins in the offseason, hit on the very high R2 pick or trade back to restock a bit, see how next season goes, and if it's still crud, clean house when you have a top 5 pick (new GM, HC, and QB in alignment instead of constantly playing musical chairs with the most important jobs in the franchise.) Stop trying to microwave a fix (i.e. acquiring Teddy/Darnold/Baker, firing Rhule midseason instead of leaning into the tank, the trade for 01.01, etc.) and have some patience.

If we go 0-17 or 1-16 or maybe even 2-15 I don’t see Reich surviving. 
Unless we really want to embrace the Browns mantra and keep a bad coach hired when he should have been fired aka Hue Jackson.

3 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

If we go 0-17 or 1-16 or maybe even 2-15 I don’t see Reich surviving.

Meh, you don't bring in a rookie QB and a new coach to dump them after a year, as bad as those outcomes would be. Chances are they get lucky a few times, bank a 4-13, and they give Reich/Young one more year to grow. If MR TEPPER is as enamored with Young as everyone claims he is, he can then dump Reich and give Bryce one or two more years with a new coach and some more talent around him. It's just so rare to see a HC with a high-pedigree rookie QB dumped that fast. 

12 minutes ago, SteveSmithGaveMeAShiner said:

Meh, you don't bring in a rookie QB and a new coach to dump them after a year, as bad as those outcomes would be. Chances are they get lucky a few times, bank a 4-13, and they give Reich/Young one more year to grow. If MR TEPPER is as enamored with Young as everyone claims he is, he can then dump Reich and give Bryce one or two more years with a new coach and some more talent around him. It's just so rare to see a HC with a high-pedigree rookie QB dumped that fast. 

I don’t consider Reich a high-pedigree. He was fired from the Chargers as OC, he was given a HC job because Pederson carried his rear and the coach the Colts wanted dropped out.  Then he was  mediocre with the Colts until they ran out of old Vets that could still play. 
I think the Reich from his final season with the Colts is the real Reich, a bad coach. 
Reich isn’t the right coach for Young. 

Edited by TLGPanthersFan

@TLGPanthersFan FWIW I referred to Bryce as high pedigree, not Reich. But it is usually a package deal: when you bring in a coach and draft a 1st round QB, they get a chance to succeed or fail together unless things get unbelievably bad. With no first until 2025, there's really no downside to keeping Reich IMO. If he really is that bad (and/or if Bryce flops), you net a top 3 2025 pick and either reset the QB/coach situation or get Bryce a better coach and quality help if you still feel he's the guy.