• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Can Bryce Young throw deep?

Loyalty4Life

6 minutes ago, Newtcase said:

So the most direct answer is he isn't attempting to throw shots very often.  He's only attempted 7 passes beyond 20 air yards and he's only completed two of those.  

I know all you apologist want to blame coaching, play calling and our receivers for his lack of deep shots.  So when its pointed out to you that Dalton went of 5 of 7 on such throws in week 3 with the same staff, line, and receivers you all just act like Seattle is a high school defense.  While still conveniently dismissing that Minnesota was a shitty defense that we played at home as well.  

Beyond that, great resources have looked at the 7 deep shots Bryce has taken and concluded that he isn't even giving his receivers a chance. I could make clips, but it's already there, again by sources more reputable than me.

You're just a lazy apologist with no real excuse for why Bryce can't complete a downfield pass so you defend your defenseless position by shifting the burden of proof to someone else knowing they don't want to waste their time arguing with your ignorant ass.

Mic drop and you're blocked.

That's a mic drop.  For real?

I've given you numerous example of proof that he CAN do it.  He has the sheer physical ability to throw a football that far.  Hey, there's a fact.  We seen him do it a lot in college which is a very fair comparison to show if he CAN do it.  Look, another supporting fact.  I'm also pretty sure he's thrown and completed more than 2 of 7 passes over 20 air yards in the NFL.  I'll go take my lazy ass and find out for you.

Now, if you'd have come out at the start saying he is not throwing deep when given the chance and opportunity and then followed that up with some type of logical reasoning we'd actually have a discussion. 

Is it that he can't see a receiver breaking open?  Is he staring down shorter routes constantly?  Is he bailing out of the pocket to early?

What other factors could possibly contribute to the fact that he HASN'T throw many deep shots?

Your language comprehension and understanding of concepts is suspect at best as I also looked at "great resources" except I can name mine and explain the context of what they actually said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJCp_CrZQhI

In this video he does say that Chark beat his guy so Bryce Young needs to give his WR a chance.  You've got to give your receiver a better chance to catch the ball.

But then he actually goes on to explain my favorite word.  The why.  

He says Bryce is basically doing a chunk and duck.  In that he's not standing in the pocket to take the shot which many time you have to do in the NFL.  He's already shown he can take a hit.  That he's chunking it up and turning to protect himself from the hit and when you do that it causes accuracy problems.  He also says that this behavior stems from when QB's are getting hit a lot. 

He continues and points how that would it have helped if the line had been able to pick up that stunt and pressure.

That is the one "great resource" that has said he needs to give his receivers a chance.  I agree with him on that throw in that instance but also see what factors played a part.  He's also hated on the Panthers WR is just about every single video he's done about Bryce as well as how awful our scheme is and how it's putting Bryce in a horrible position.  So, your great resource has to be wrong about one of those things according to your facts.

Not a single "great resource" has said anything so stupid and factually incorrect as Bryce CAN NOT throw deep balls.

I picked up your microphone and I'm keeping it.  So, thank you.  

• Beer 2
  • Flames 1

23 minutes ago, Newtcase said:

So the most direct answer is he isn't attempting to throw shots very often.  He's only attempted 7 passes beyond 20 air yards and he's only completed two of those.  

I know all you apologist want to blame coaching, play calling and our receivers for his lack of deep shots.  So when its pointed out to you that Dalton went of 5 of 7 on such throws in week 3 with the same staff, line, and receivers you all just act like Seattle is a high school defense.  While still conveniently dismissing that Minnesota was a shitty defense that we played at home as well.  

Beyond that, great resources have looked at the 7 deep shots Bryce has taken and concluded that he isn't even giving his receivers a chance. I could make clips, but it's already there, again by sources more reputable than me.

You're just a lazy apologist with no real excuse for why Bryce can't complete a downfield pass so you defend your defenseless position by shifting the burden of proof to someone else knowing they don't want to waste their time arguing with your ignorant ass.

Mic drop and you're blocked.

Even a couple of analysts said that it looked like Reich gave Dalton a different playbook than Bryce. 

More than a few have said that Reich needs to take the training wheels off Young.

I think that we'll get a lot of answers as to who is right and who is wrong by season's end. But questions will begin to be answered once Brown opens up his playbook.

22 minutes ago, frankw said:

I needed these laughs. I appreciate you top dawg.

Hey Frankie Wankie you’re being very confrontational, tone it down a notch. Go watch Bryce’s 15 yard comeback dart from the far hash, it’s so beautiful it will calm you right down 

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

Even a couple of analysts said that it looked like Reich gave Dalton a different playbook than Bryce. 

More than a few have said that Reich needs to take the training wheels off Young.

I think that we'll get a lot of answers as to who is right and who is wrong by season's end. But questions will begin to be answered once Brown opens up his playbook.

There were also reports of Dalton requesting more deep balls. I think part of the “training wheels” for Young is simply trying to avoid him becoming the next David Carr cautionary tale behind this horrendous OL. It makes sense that they would allow Dalton to take more risks, and he got hit A LOT that game for his troubles which nobody is bringing up.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

Agreed.  It’s hard to really assess the truth in this though as Bryce has options on multiple depths on nearly every play.  He also has changed the play at the line A LOT.  We cannot know if it’s really on Bryce or play calling.  We can know the play calling is more expansive than Bryce’s production though, because we’ve actually seen that.  Again this is reality vs conjecture.  I’m really only interested in discussing what we can KNOW by OBSERVATION.  Anything else is a theory at best, often put out by talking heads who get paid to entertain us with theory crafting.

I do completely agree only time can reveal the whole truth.  Until said truth reveals itself I’ll be discussing actual events with level headed people interested in doing the same.

1 minute ago, WUnderhill said:

There were also reports of Dalton requesting more deep balls. I think part of the “training wheels” for Young is simply trying to avoid him becoming the next David Carr cautionary tale behind this horrendous OL. It makes sense that they would allow Dalton to take more risks, and he got hit A LOT that game for his troubles which nobody is bringing up.

Good point, I'd forgotten that.

3 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

Dalton is a compass for Bryce, that’s his only purpose.  Showing the kid what he should be doing.  If Bryce gets hurt his purpose changes.  I don’t think it’s a leap of faith that a veteran staff asked a veteran player to show the kid what was possible.  As far as the lip service to the media, c’mon dude.  Coach speak ain’t new, of course Reich is going to give the softest possible landing for Bryce.  What do you expect him to say? Dalton is just better?  

• Pie 3

5 hours ago, Loyalty4Life said:

That's a mic drop.  For real?

I've given you numerous example of proof that he CAN do it.  He has the sheer physical ability to throw a football that far.  Hey, there's a fact.  We seen him do it a lot in college which is a very fair comparison to show if he CAN do it.  Look, another supporting fact.  I'm also pretty sure he's thrown and completed more than 2 of 7 passes over 20 air yards in the NFL.  I'll go take my lazy ass and find out for you.

Now, if you'd have come out at the start saying he is not throwing deep when given the chance and opportunity and then followed that up with some type of logical reasoning we'd actually have a discussion. 

Is it that he can't see a receiver breaking open?  Is he staring down shorter routes constantly?  Is he bailing out of the pocket to early?

What other factors could possibly contribute to the fact that he HASN'T throw many deep shots?

Your language comprehension and understanding of concepts is suspect at best as I also looked at "great resources" except I can name mine and explain the context of what they actually said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJCp_CrZQhI

In this video he does say that Chark beat his guy so Bryce Young needs to give his WR a chance.  You've got to give your receiver a better chance to catch the ball.

But then he actually goes on to explain my favorite word.  The why.  

He says Bryce is basically doing a chunk and duck.  In that he's not standing in the pocket to take the shot which many time you have to do in the NFL.  He's already shown he can take a hit.  That he's chunking it up and turning to protect himself from the hit and when you do that it causes accuracy problems.  He also says that this behavior stems from when QB's are getting hit a lot. 

He continues and points how that would it have helped if the line had been able to pick up that stunt and pressure.

That is the one "great resource" that has said he needs to give his receivers a chance.  I agree with him on that throw in that instance but also see what factors played a part.  He's also hated on the Panthers WR is just about every single video he's done about Bryce as well as how awful our scheme is and how it's putting Bryce in a horrible position.  So, your great resource has to be wrong about one of those things according to your facts.

Not a single "great resource" has said anything so stupid and factually incorrect as Bryce CAN NOT throw deep balls.

I picked up your microphone and I'm keeping it.  So, thank you.  

As far as the 2 of 7 comment, that is true as far as plays that stood, and several of the passes were right at/around the 20 yard mark. That said, he did do better beyond 15 last week.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/bryce-young/YOU124763/season

I remember a Steeler camp in the 70s when a new crop of rookies came in including a hailed brilliant WR from USC by the name of Lynn Swann. 

First day out on the field he was standing by Terry Bradshaw and saw him throw a 60 year bomb on target to a WR at full speed and looked at Bradshaw with his mouth agape being astonished by the speed, distance and accuracy of the play and Terry just looked back at him and said, "Welcome to the NFL son". 

Edited by PghPanther
  • Beer 1

I know it makes some people grumble, but I like to use Joe Burrow as a basis of comparison for Bryce because I think Burrow is also a player without any elite physical qualities (other than being tall) who has risen to prominence as an elite QB once his FO started to help him with some talent.  So let's take a look at Burrow's passing charts at the start of his rookie season.  I've crunched the numbers and Burrow did not complete his first deep pass (25+ yards) until his sixth game of his rookie season.  In fact, he was a truly impressive 0 for 17 on deep passes until that point.

Just an interesting little fun fact.  I know I know, "look at all those 300 yard passing games!!" - but this is a thread specifically about deep passes which is the element I'm comparing here.

image.thumb.png.c3aef250bee67f605c16eca0a6c888c6.png

• Pie 2