• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Some outside perspective on Bryce

thebdawg

6 hours ago, Soul Rebel said:

Yet another example of the issues with Carolina is not Bryce nor the selection, moving forward. 

OL inconsistency, no support at WR/RB until last week, vanilla playcalling and scheming, injuries all around that have exposed our depth and awful day 2 & 3 drafting.

9 will be just fine.

All of this could have been addressed had we not given up so much to get to #1. And because of what we gave up, it will likely never be addressed while Young is here.

I'm not worried at all about Bryce's mistakes and turnovers. He's a rookie and I'm sure he will turn it around. What I am worried about is the fact that he hasn't made one impressive throw and can't throw downfield literally at all. His arm talent was a major question mark going in and he's done absolutely nothing to show that was wrong.

He screams game manager to me. He will fix the mistakes and we'll be stuck on the fence for years with a Mac Jones / Kenny Pickett type guy who doesn't seem bad enough to move on from but will never be good enough to win with. Exactly why you don't make the safe pick when you're picking a QB in the 1st round. Even worse when you give up the haul we did to do it.

We'd honestly be better off if he kept turning the ball over 3 times a game again so we can move on sooner.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

24 minutes ago, IndyPanther said:

All of this could have been addressed had we not given up so much to get to #1. And because of what we gave up, it will likely never be addressed while Young is here.

I'm not worried at all about Bryce's mistakes and turnovers. He's a rookie and I'm sure he will turn it around. What I am worried about is the fact that he hasn't made one impressive throw and can't throw downfield literally at all. His arm talent was a major question mark going in and he's done absolutely nothing to show that was wrong.

He screams game manager to me. He will fix the mistakes and we'll be stuck on the fence for years with a Mac Jones / Kenny Pickett type guy who doesn't seem bad enough to move on from but will never be good enough to win with. Exactly why you don't make the safe pick when you're picking a QB in the 1st round. Even worse when you give up the haul we did to do it.

We'd honestly be better off if he kept turning the ball over 3 times a game again so we can move on sooner.

Not even 5 games into a rookies career, of which he’s shown clear progress week by week, and you’re hoping he plays so badly that we have to move on ASAP? 

I’ve seen some awful takes here but JFC, literally why even be a fan at that point.

also, after the next draft we will have first round picks again, it’s not like we’re going to be going *years* without firsts.  

Edited by Coheed

9 minutes ago, Coheed said:

Not even 5 games into a rookies career, of which he’s shown clear progress week by week, and you’re hoping he plays so badly that we have to move on ASAP? 

I’ve seen some awful takes here but JFC, literally why even be a fan at that point.

also, after the next draft we will have first round picks again, it’s not like we’re going to be going *years* without firsts.  

His entire progress has been going from multiple turnovers a game to not. He hasn't shown anything to be impressed by in any of the games.

I'd love for him to turn into an MVP QB. But he does not have the arm talent to do so, as has been shown in these 5 games and his entire college career. And we'd be better off moving on than having a game manager.

6 hours ago, Soul Rebel said:

Yet another example of the issues with Carolina is not Bryce nor the selection, moving forward. 

OL inconsistency, no support at WR/RB until last week, vanilla playcalling and scheming, injuries all around that have exposed our depth and awful day 2 & 3 drafting.

9 will be just fine.

If they can keep him alive. Eventually he’s not gonna bounce up after one of these huge hits he takes regularly 

10 minutes ago, IndyPanther said:

His entire progress has been going from multiple turnovers a game to not. He hasn't shown anything to be impressed by in any of the games.

I'd love for him to turn into an MVP QB. But he does not have the arm talent to do so, as has been shown in these 5 games and his entire college career. And we'd be better off moving on than having a game manager.

If that’s the *only* progress you’re seeing then that’s some selective vision. Neither you nor I have any idea how Bryce is going to turn out but I’m at least willing to give him some time. 

55 minutes ago, IndyPanther said:

That trade will make it impossible to ever see him reach the value it took to get him here even if he gets past Teddy level production in his play. This team is set up to draft another QB without needing to trade up in 2025 already. It's a chicken or egg scenario, is he good or is he being ruined? It doesn't matter because that trade started the snowball that already got out of hand. Moore looks good, Burns isn't worth a 1st maybe now yet we need a new Moore. They would have to hit on so many things in the draft ,free agency and trades that it's such a long shot even before you take into account that the people in charge absolutely couldn't pull it off because they have been failing miserably in those areas. Some fans are already talking 4 to 5 years for it to all come together...

Young never had a chance here and he probably won't get a decent one until this team dumps him and he goes on a prove it deal with someone else. I have never like his play or been impressed with his work, here or before, but that doesn't change any of this. He is doomed here unless he get a miracle like a McDaniels and we look 2 years away from any meaningful change because the GM who made that trade is still employed and helping the Owner and all we have seen if the OC is calling plays for his first time ever (or close enough) at 0-6.

On a side note, the Texas game will a great measuring stick for Bryce. Some of the stuff floating around here will either stick or fall away after that game. 

Edited by Waldo
  • Pie 2

1 minute ago, Waldo said:

That trade will make it impossible to ever see him reach the value it took to get him here even if he gets past Teddy level production in his play. This team is set up to draft another QB without needing to trade up in 2025 already. It's a chicken or egg scenario, is he good or is he being ruined? It doesn't matter because that trade started the snowball that already got out of hand. Moore looks good, Burns isn't worth a 1st maybe now yet we need a new Moore. They would have to hit on so many things in the draft ,free agency and trades that it's such a long shot even before you take into account that the people in charge absolutely couldn't pull it off because they have been failing miserably in those areas. Some fans are already talking 4 to 5 years for it to all come together...

Young never had a chance here and he probably won't get a decent one until this team dumps him and he goes on a prove it deal with someone else. I have never like his play or been impressed with his work, here or before, but that doesn't change any of what. He is doomed here unless he get a miracle like a McDaniels and we look 2 years away from any meaningful change because the GM who made that trade is still employed and helping the Owner and all we have seen if the OC is calling plays for his first time ever (or close enough) at 0-6.

On a side note, the Texas game will a great measuring stick for Bryce. Some of the stuff floating around here will either stick or fall away after that game. 

mods pin this post please

• Beer 1

17 minutes ago, IndyPanther said:

I think the way you see Bryce is how a lot of others see him as well. I myself was questioning what happened to his arm talent until the Miami game.

But he showcased some arm strength I hadn’t seen until this past Sunday. The throw to Thielen while being hit, off platform, 25 yards on a rope over the middle to Thielen didn’t impress you? He also had a 15 yard comeback to Mingo from the far hash that was a laser. The Thielen touchdown was seriously impressive too, as he threw that ball with touch AND velocity.

There were also a couple instances of him throwing completely covered guys open. Game managers don’t take that kind of risk or have that kind of confidence in their arm. Go watch the QB school analysis on him from this week, might help change the way you see him a little.

1 minute ago, thebdawg said:

I think the way you see Bryce is how a lot of others see him as well. I myself was questioning what happened to his arm talent until the Miami game.

But he showcased some arm strength I hadn’t seen until this past Sunday. The throw to Thielen while being hit, off platform, 25 yards on a rope over the middle to Thielen didn’t impress you? He also had a 15 yard comeback to Mingo from the far hash that was a laser. The Thielen touchdown was seriously impressive too, as he threw that ball with touch AND velocity.

There were also a couple instances of him throwing completely covered guys open. Game managers don’t take that kind of risk or have that kind of confidence in their arm. Go watch the QB school analysis on him from this week, might help change the way you see him a little.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/bryce-young-panthers-improvement-october/

Here is a good breakdown of some of the good things from that Miami game that show some progression in his game.  Hopefully this continues and he keeps getting better each week.

• Pie 1

The problem isn't that Bryce will be fine or that he'll be a good QB in this league.

It's that we gave up so much that anything less than being an elite top 10 QB in this league, it will never be worth the trade we made.

You can't give up 2 Firsts, 2 Seconds, and DJ Moore for an average NFL QB, that's just not okay.

His ceiling feels like what Jared Goff is right now, someone they were given 2 First round picks to take on, not traded away to get.

Edited by tukafan21
  • Pie 7
  • Beer 1

He has made some very nice throws. Also stare downs galore, holding the ball too long, not knowing he can't depend on being mobile to escape and get a deep ball off, see that stuff too. 

It doesn't answer, yet, how we are supposed to successfully function on offense inside a 20x53 yard box. Y'all remember trying to hide Cam's weak arm? That is what this will be like at best unless they stretch the field. edit: I did not enjoy watching that kind of football and am afraid that is all we are going to get.

Edited by stratocatter
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, IndyPanther said:

Agreed. Was about to respond with a similar narrative. I dont care to hear about all these analysis who say bryce will be fine and blame everybody else. They probably were high on him pre draft,  so this is expected. Nobody wants to be wrong about a player. 

• Pie 3

5 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

The problem isn't that Bryce will be fine or that he'll be a good QB in this league.

It's that we gave up so much that anything less than being an elite top 10 QB in this league, it will never be worth the trade we made.

You can't give up 2 Firsts, 2 Seconds, and DJ Moore for an average NFL QB, that's just not okay.

His ceiling feels like what Jared Goff is right now, someone they were given 2 First round picks to take on, not traded away to get.

You don't think current Goff is a top 10 QB in the league right now?  He is in the top 5 in most statistics and has a NFL best record of 5-1.  Which 10 do you have above him?