• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Official Trade Deadline & Speculation Thread

Bear Hands

5 minutes ago, Frank9999 said:

Why the heck do you guys want to get rid of TMJ so bad id rather just see if he can show something this year 

I've felt that way these past couple years, but this season he has ran some sloppy/wrong routes and given up on some plays.  That's not a good recipe for developing a young QB.

• Pie 2

9 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Sure, but he also had a HOF throwing him the ball, he's done jack squat since Ben retired and was openly showing horribly effort and attitude on the field this year.

TMJ's 9 catch for 56 yard game this year was better than anything Claypool did with the Bears.

They both suck, but if Claypool can get something in a trade, so can TMJ

You don’t have to tell me his faults. I’ve watched his whole career. I, and every Steeler fan, had a party when the Bears gave a 2nd for him. But he has been productive in the NFL. Something TMJ has never been. And the Big Ben he played wasn’t a HOFer or even close. 

10 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

Chase Claypool put up a rookie year that eclipsed Marshall's entire career production. Hell, he put up a sophomore campaign that did the same and was on pace for similar production when the Bears traded for him. Obviously they didn't plan on trading the 32nd overall pick for what they got out of him. But the fact remains Claypool has shown WAY more production than Marshall ever has.

I'm not sure why you're so gung-ho to do a Marshall and a 7th round pick for a 6th round pick swap deal? If we did that with the Bengals, it'd basically be akin to moving up like 10 spots in the draft order. Might as well see if he shows anything in these last 10 games if that's all the return is going to be.

All fair, but I think teams view players who backslide as much as Claypool did in a worse way than those who just haven't tapped into their potential like with a TMJ, especially when you add in the attitude and effort issues Claypool has shown these last 2 seasons.

Add in how much he fell off a cliff once he didn't have a HOF QB throwing him the ball (yes Ben wasn't the best in his final years, but it was more bad mistakes, he still got his WRs the ball), and it makes it seem like his first 2 years of production was more the QB and offense than him.

7 minutes ago, Aussie Tank said:

We better be players in FA next year. We should of been players for Ezra Cleveland and a WR before the deadline 

Would love to see us go after Paul George so he can mentor Brandon Miller. Kid already looks like a young PG.

Also can we start looking at potential HC's to replace Steve Clifford please!

9 minutes ago, Aussie Tank said:

We better be players in FA next year. We should of been players for Ezra Cleveland and a WR before the deadline 

Unless we're able to re-sign Burns before FA starts and/or find a way to clear up a bunch of cap room before it starts, then I can't see how we'll be making any splash signings.

Think we're supposed to have a little over $40 million in cap space, but if we have to tag Burns, think we have to keep that space open even before he signs it, and that number should come in around 22-25 million for his tag next year.

Not sure we can really make a splash with 15 million in space, have too many holes that need to be filled to use it all in one place.

Another reason I was hoping to trade Burns now, so we just had all that cap room to go after big name FA's on day 1.

The inaction of Fitterer this trade deadline speaks volumes about him. He's likely gone. Just speculating here, but I'm pretty sure Tepper had something to do with it. Probably told Fitt to not get rid of more assets.

Ironically he could have had Chase young for a 3rd...Maybe even Adams or Jeudy for a day 3 pick...but nah. Let's keep what we have and not try to improve the team with ACTUAL players that would do so.

3 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Unless we're able to re-sign Burns before FA starts and/or find a way to clear up a bunch of cap room before it starts, then I can't see how we'll be making any splash signings.

Think we're supposed to have a little over $40 million in cap space, but if we have to tag Burns, think we have to keep that space open even before he signs it, and that number should come in around 22-25 million for his tag next year.

Not sure we can really make a splash with 15 million in space, have too many holes that need to be filled to use it all in one place.

Another reason I was hoping to trade Burns now, so we just had all that cap room to go after big name FA's on day 1.

Hearing ya I wanted Burns traded I just can’t see this side getting enough talent without lucking into a superstar rookie later in the draft and I can’t imagine that happening. 

• Pie 1

24 minutes ago, Camp Fodder said:

Not if we don’t upgrade left tackle

I don't really think it's so much that we need an "upgrade" as we need a different type of blocker.

Ickey isn't really built for a zone blocking, WCO type scheme. That typically involves a lighter, more agile type of LT.

Heck, if he were still healthy It might have been as simple as flip-flopping a Ekwonu and Christensen.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

The inaction of Fitterer this trade deadline speaks volumes about him. He's likely gone. Just speculating here, but I'm pretty sure Tepper had something to do with it. Probably told Fitt to not get rid of more assets.

Wouldn't bet on it, but that'd be a dumbsh-t call if he did, basically saying "I don't like this roster but I'm not letting you make any moves to try and improve it".

I think it's more likely they just decided against trading away anything more. That's consistent with what Dan Morgan said in his presser a short time ago.

And given how much we gave up to get Young already, there's some logic to that.