• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Montez Sweat new deal

jb2288

19 minutes ago, onmyown said:

Yea the panthers can do no wrong.

Fun fact, they already offered him fair market value. And a deal didn’t get done. So wrong on both accounts.

Wrong.  

Not so fun fact, what they offered him was less than two pass rushers whom recently signed extensions worth more than what was offered to Burns, yet Burns has better production. 

Next?

Edited by pantherclaw

3 hours ago, *FreeFua* said:

I’d take Crosby over Burns and he’s at 23.5. 

Sweat 24.5.

Burns has no business asking for anything more than 25.5

Burns cares what they guaranteed $ is. 

72 million is really the relevant number 

26 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

Wrong.  

Not so fun fact, what they offered him was less than two pass rushers whom recently signed extensions worth more than what was offered to Burns, yet Burns has better production. 

Next?

Is it documented/rumored anywhere what they have actually offered Burns? 

For those saying Sweat is better than Burns, I'm sure a valid argument can be made. But Burns has 2 pro bowl selections to Sweat's zero, playing the same position in the same conference. So there's definitely the perception in the league that Burns is the better player and it's accolades like pro bowl selections that carry more weight at the negotiating table than PFF ratings. So unfortunately I think the starting point at negotiations has to be at least a little higher than Sweat's deal.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, CRA said:

Is it documented/rumored anywhere what they have actually offered Burns? 

Yes original offer was in the 24m range (similar to crosby) then they lowered the guaranteed and went up to 27m. 

He wants both the high salary and the high guarantees 

Edited by carpanfan96

9 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

For those saying Sweat is better than Burns, I'm sure a valid argument can be made. But Burns has 2 pro bowl selections to Sweat's zero, playing the same position in the same conference. So there's definitely the perception in the league that Burns is the better player and it's accolades like pro bowl selections that carry more weight at the negotiating table than PFF ratings. So unfortunately I think the starting point at negotiations has to be at least a little higher than Sweat's deal.

The existence of guys like Hassan Reddick is what makes paying Burns stomach churning.    Reddick is a better overall player and pass rusher.

Burns is largely just bringing a sporadic pass rush and little else.  I mean it’s great when it’s on.  But when it’s not Burns is nothing really to talk about.   I can’t think of a single highly paid edge rusher that I would say that about.  Not the top 10ish guys. 

• Pie 2

10 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

Yes original offer was in the 24m range (similar to crosby) then they lowered the guaranteed and went up to 27m. 

He wants both the high salary and the high guarantees 

The guaranteed $ is essentially the negotiation.  If they don’t leak that then we really don’t have a clue yet what they offered him though 

1 hour ago, Navy_football said:

As a matter of fact... Last week when Houston stopped the Panthers on the goal line and they were coming out from the 1 yard line, guess who they ran right at to give themselves some playing room? Yep. And gained 6 yards just like that, taking away the threat of a safety. When offenses target you as a weakness, you are not that guy. 

I agree bro!!!

I’ve never seen such a polarizing Panthers player.

Makes pro bowls. Opponent’s OC has to constantly scheme for him. Other teams lining up to trade and pay for Burns. 

We’re happy trading him away for picks so we can draft busts and then use the money for free agents like Miles Sanders and Hayden Hurst. 

On 11/4/2023 at 1:08 PM, jb2288 said:

https://x.com/rapsheet/status/1720849272806002917?s=46&t=ID24LbHaAiOwVOmMGHXcTA

On mobile so sorry for tweet not working  

Burns is gonna bend us over. $30M is looking cheap 

Is there something we don’t know about Sweat vs Burns? Sweat seems to be in the Burns league as far as pressures. Some think he’s better against the run. 

But the Commanders only got a 2nd round pick for him…..then the Bears signed him for $100 mil? To me those two things don’t align. Wouldn’t someone getting a $100 mil contract be worth more than a second round pick? 

In the Burns aspect of all of this…If the Bears called and offered a single second round pick then that’s not a serious inquiry. We’d all be up in arms if Fitt traded him for that value. 

2 minutes ago, unicar15 said:

Is there something we don’t know about Sweat vs Burns? Sweat seems to be in the Burns league as far as pressures. Some think he’s better against the run. 

But the Commanders only got a 2nd round pick for him…..then the Bears signed him for $100 mil? To me those two things don’t align. Wouldn’t someone getting a $100 mil contract be worth more than a second round pick? 

In the Burns aspect of all of this…If the Bears called and offered a single second round pick then that’s not a serious inquiry. We’d all be up in arms if Fitt traded him for that value. 

I don't think the Commanders got enough for him and I would've traded Young and signed Sweat, but that Bears' 2nd is likely going to be among the 1st five picks on the round so it's as close to a 1st as you're gonna get without actually getting a 1st.

18 hours ago, falconlynx said:

I’ve never seen such a polarizing Panthers player.

Makes pro bowls. Opponent’s OC has to constantly scheme for him. Other teams lining up to trade and pay for Burns. 

We’re happy trading him away for picks so we can draft busts and then use the money for free agents like Miles Sanders and Hayden Hurst. 

He still is not worth what he wants. Also it doesn't appear to matter if OCs scheme for him or not because he never makes an impact on game day, ever.

Edited by TLGPanthersFan