• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

We prob made the wrong pick BUT

Frank9999

I still believe Bryce can have a good career in the NFL. CJ is prob special though. 

Carolina has bigger issues than Bryce. This team is in shambles on the OLINE they do not have the personnel to fit the scheme they are running. Bryce is literally rushed to make decisions every time the ball is snapped to him. 

I stick to my claim that this falls on Scott Fitterer. Tepper should send a message to the fan base by firing him today.

2 hours ago, Dixieland said:

We should have chosen Levis with the 9th pick and not trade up (or trade down in ideal world).

Sometimes I will refuse to post for fear of getting flamed or causing dissension on the forum. Now that we’ve made our bed I can speak my peace. I and (several others I must add) thought trading up was a bad idea. The cost is expensive even  if you succeed. If you fail it can set a franchise back for years. I would have been cool with letting Levi’s fall to us at 9. I never understood why he was so despised in the first place. We would have kept our picks and had a QB who could at least push the ball downfield. But, if we had done that half of this board would have had a mental meltdown. I also would have been cool taking Howell in the 3rd or 4th round in 2022 and using all of the 2023 picks to build a solid cast around him.

A bad franchise should never give away multiple high choices in multiple seasons and pin their hopes on any rookie QB. If a team is competitive and has a solid roster on both sides of the ball you can afford to take a swing for the fences (Like the 49ers did with Lance…which was a huge mistake in hindsight). A good team like  SF was able to overcome Lance decision because they were good without him. The Chiefs were a playoff team the year before they moved up to draft Mahomes. Had he been a bust they still had a good, if not great QB, in Alex Smith.

Picking a QB in the the top 5 is not a a sure fire bet to win…or even get to…a SB

• Beer 5

23 minutes ago, frankw said:

The Commanders are as big of a dumpster fire as us they've given up 44 sacks compared to our 29 and still Howell is 4th in the league in passing yards per game and 7th in the league in touchdowns.

Enough with the excuses.

Question for you (or anyone else who wants to chime in). Do you think Howell's improving game play is due to his innate talent, the coaching (Eric Bienemy) or a combination of both?

I think its both. Howell has the physical tools to be a top 10 QB in the NFL. I also think Bienemy has been a big part of his development. The Chiefs have lost a lot at WR in recent years. But, I think that offense has lost some juice without Eric. I'm glad to see Sam play well, but I can't help but think he wouldn't be as good in Carolina drafted him in the 3rd round instead of Matt Corrall. Then again, it's been said that Reich likes big QB's. Maybe our offense would look better if Sam was throwing the ball instead of Bryce.

Thoughts?

48 minutes ago, frankw said:

The Commanders are as big of a dumpster fire as us they've given up 44 sacks compared to our 29 and still Howell is 4th in the league in passing yards per game and 7th in the league in touchdowns.

Enough with the excuses.

Didn’t he just throw 5ints the other week?

also helps when you have Terry McLaurin to throw to.  Oh, and Dotson as you number 2 and Curtis Samuel as your number 3

12 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

Question for you (or anyone else who wants to chime in). Do you think Howell's improving game play is due to his innate talent, the coaching (Eric Bienemy) or a combination of both?

I think its both. Howell has the physical tools to be a top 10 QB in the NFL. I also think Bienemy has been a big part of his development. The Chiefs have lost a lot at WR in recent years. But, I think that offense has lost some juice without Eric. I'm glad to see Sam play well, but I can't help but think he wouldn't be as good in Carolina drafted him in the 3rd round instead of Matt Corrall. Then again, it's been said that Reich likes big QB's. Maybe our offense would look better if Sam was throwing the ball instead of Bryce.

Thoughts?

All homerism aside we are fitting our offense to Bryce Young's phsyical limitations and it shows. Howell is a young QB who has turned it over a lot but he doesn't have those same limitations and he has deep ball ability. I've said all along I'm giving Bryce until the end of the season to show me something but we can't change who he is physically so my gut says we traded up to 1 to draft a game manager type of QB at best. It's a rough time to be a Panthers fan.

4 minutes ago, ncfan said:

also helps when you have Terry McLaurin to throw to.  Oh, and Dotson as you number 2 and Curtis Samuel as your number 3

He's a young QB turnovers are going to happen. But he's still moving the ball downfield and scoring touchdowns. I could live with BY turning the ball over if he weren't still hovering around bottom of the league in key statistics. It's not good no matter who else you want to blame man. You're going to have to begin acknowledging reality. Good luck.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

5 minutes ago, ncfan said:

I'm sympathetic to Bryce playing behind a bad OL and with subpar receivers, but he's also a guy that was thought so highly of that he was the #1 overall pick. Howell is a 5th rounder who's also essentially a rookie (he played in 1 game last season) and is averaging 7.0 YPA with 14 TDs to 9 INTs while playing behind an arguably worse OL. Bryce is averaging 5.5 YPA, 8 TDs, 7 INTs (with two more lost fumbles as well). You can argue all you want about supporting cast but I would hope that the guy who was taken 1 could put up comparable stats to the guy taken 144th.

• Pie 2

Here's what I'm still not getting about Bryce.

What "elite" skill does he possess that will set him apart from other QBs? He's small, has a subpar arm, doesn't break tackles, can't even run him under center because of his height, average speed, etc. Literally his only thing he had over CJ was his "processing" speed, which oddly enough can get better in the NFL. You know what can't be learned though? Size, height, arm strength, etc. which is what CJ had over Bryce.

I'm just trying to get a gauge at Bryce's ceiling, because I just don't see it. He doesn't have the arm strength to CONSISTENTLY make NFL throws, and we can't even run him under center because of his size. Where's the potential, I'm legitimately curious.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 4