• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Evidence of Tepper meddling in football operations?

TeppersEgos

Late to this party but one does not need to meddle Jerry Jones-style to be a terrible owner that drags down the quality of the on-field product.

We've had one clearly terrible coaching hire and another that's trending in that direction. Fitterer is still the GM and is the person who's mostly responsible for this dumpster fire of a roster, which I contend is a much bigger issue than the coaching staff.

But Tepper's attitude at his public appearances has been the most telling aspect of his train-wreck of a tenure as the Panthers' owner. For a guy who's worth more money than most of us can even fathom, he seems awfully insecure and sensitive to criticism and expects long-time Panthers fans to be impressed by clown show BS like bringing more Kenny Chesney concerts to BofA.

None of this tells me "this guy cares about winning."

• Beer 1

On 11/6/2023 at 6:54 PM, axl-69 2.0 said:

If I pay a couple billion for something, you're goddamn straight I would meddle. Also If I owned a team they would prob suck too. 

If I owned the team, we would've drafted  Levis or Stroud. And it wouldn't have been even a consideration for Bryce other than to maybe obtain draft picks. 

Stupid is as stupid does. 

17 hours ago, CPcavedweller said:

If I owned the team, we would've drafted  Levis or Stroud. And it wouldn't have been even a consideration for Bryce other than to maybe obtain draft picks. 

Stupid is as stupid does. 

If I owned the team, I would've traded out of the '23 draft altogether to accumulate as many '24 picks as possible to control that draft. People loved Dalton's Seattle game enough to put up with him for 17 games, so he would've been an easy 1+1 deal. Then grab a few others for one year of watchable football where maybe we lose, but may as well be entertaining. I would have hired a coach who was innovative and told him to use this year as basically a long preseason to try out formations, a range of game plans, etc. I would communicate this with the fans. I'd find a way to give everyone on the roster bonuses to make up for what would be an usual year.

However, we'd probably still be better than 1-7, unpredictable to watch (so a must-watch), a big news story (for good and bad reasons), and in prime position to implement our actual plan from April 2024.

I suppose that would make me meddling too though!

• Pie 1

On 11/8/2023 at 1:53 PM, Cullenator said:

It was reported that Geraldo Rivera was going to reveal Al Capone's secret stash of money and maybe bodies on TV

It was reported that Todd Marinovich was going to redefine how QBs were made

It was reported that JFK was schtuping Marilyn Monroe

Lots of things get reported by people trying to sell papers/ads/clicks.  Doesnt make any of it true and in the world of re-twits and "first over facts" thats even more so.

Ive yet to hear on the record from anyone with verified access to the processes that Tepper is meddling.

How we doing here?

18 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

How we doing here?

Ive read that and I see two very valid interpretations

1. Tepper made the call.  He wanted Young because he believed in spite of evidence to the contrary that Young was our QB of the future.  He harassed and harangued staff until they made it happen.

Or

2. Tepper was convinced by people he pays a lot of money that Bryce was the answer to all our ills.  Once convinced, in his excitement to right the ship he pushed to get the deal done at all costs to the point that even became obnoxious.

One of those is meddling in things he needs to leave alone and the other is empowering (albeit sloppily) his employees to get done what they want.

Someone pointed out earlier in this thread that the people who know and can speak to the issue with first hand knowledge are not likely to ever go on record so we will never know with any level of certainty.

31 minutes ago, Cullenator said:

Ive read that and I see two very valid interpretations

1. Tepper made the call.  He wanted Young because he believed in spite of evidence to the contrary that Young was our QB of the future.  He harassed and harangued staff until they made it happen.

Or

2. Tepper was convinced by people he pays a lot of money that Bryce was the answer to all our ills.  Once convinced, in his excitement to right the ship he pushed to get the deal done at all costs to the point that even became obnoxious.

One of those is meddling in things he needs to leave alone and the other is empowering (albeit sloppily) his employees to get done what they want.

Someone pointed out earlier in this thread that the people who know and can speak to the issue with first hand knowledge are not likely to ever go on record so we will never know with any level of certainty.

How is the front office convinced before the combine and before the meetings and pro days?

On 11/6/2023 at 6:43 PM, TeppersEgos said:

I’m seeing a common sentiment, that Tepper is meddling in football decisions too much. What actual evidence is there of Tepper meddling in football decisions and not letting our staff do their jobs?

Please provide your evidence below, as I’m genuinely curious.

I think the offensive play calling shift originally was all Tepper. Now Frank is taking it back because Tepper is prob just as pissed as he was and threatening to fire him. 

On 11/8/2023 at 8:38 PM, PantherInTheBullCity said:

None of this tells me "this guy cares about winning."

I think he does care about winning. The problem is he has an ego the size of Texas and only wants to win if he is heavily involved in calling the shots so he can soothe his own ego down the line and brag to people about his accomplishment. But none of that has happened and likely will never happen because he does not have a damn clue what he is doing.