• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

It’s 9:13 am and nobodies fired yet?

Doc Holiday

During games I'm of the "someone needs to be fired ASAP" mindset. After a night's sleep, I realize it doesn't really make sense at this point in the season. Might as well just ride it out, I think everyone deep down knows they are done, but might as well do some "work" to collect those paychecks and blow out the entire operation after week 18. 

The only thing I can see happening is firing Fitt and Tepper engaging a consultant/former exec to help him identify potential GM candidates who could then start developing their own HC lists. But I think you'll see an entirely new front office and staff here next season.

Edited by UNCrules2187
  • Pie 1

What's the point of firing someone? To send a message? I'm pretty sure everyone in the building knows they need to do better. Firing because you are [insert negative emotion of choice] is the exact thing a caricature of Tepper would do right now.

The only reason to fire someone at this point is if they are doing (or not doing) something that is hurting Bryce's development.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Evil Hurney said:

What's the point of firing someone? To send a message? I'm pretty sure everyone in the building knows they need to do better. Firing because you are [insert negative emotion of choice] is the exact thing a caricature of Tepper would do right now.

The only reason to fire someone at this point is if they are doing (or not doing) something that is hurting Bryce's development.

To appease the masses.

Does it actually accomplish anything positive? Not really.

Now if no changes are made or progress is seen by the end of the season, then it might be time to talk.

8 minutes ago, Evil Hurney said:

At this point you fire the Frank so he doesn’t completely wreck Bryce Young.  Lot to damage being done. That’s it.  That’s all it does but that matters.    Then you let Evero or Tabor run a basic run heavy scheme that doesn’t have Bryce in the gun passing like it’s Madden every snap…behind a bad OL and no WRs.  Frank is 100% David Carring the investment 

• Pie 1

36 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I can understand all of that.  Every GM thinks they are making the right move when they make it, but when it's not the right move it falls on them unfortunately.  The results are what they are.  

In an ideal Coach/GM relationship, The coach tells the GM the kind of players he needs (maybe even naming specific guys) and the GM goes out and gets them.

Lots of different ways that can go wrong of course, but that's the way it's supposed to work.

And at least based on what's known of the guys we have in place, that's what everybody was expecting.

The question is where did it go wrong...

Edited by Mr. Scot

1 hour ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

I'm just looking for that breaking news on ESPN.

The Carolina Panthers have fired HC and GM and hired Jim Harbaugh.

That would be my dream scenario.

Good luck.....they would be at one another's throats in no time.

Just now, jtm said:

Reich and Fitt are gone for sure and who knows if it will happen during or after the season.  Evero will be the next coach and not just on an interim basis.  Dan Morgan will be the GM.  This is my prediction.  

evero turned down the interim denver last year.  No way in hell he puts his rep on the line for tepper

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

In an ideal Coach/GM relationship, The coach tells the GM the kind of players he needs (maybe even naming specific guys) and the GM goes out and gets them.

Lots of different ways that can go wrong of course, but that's the way it's supposed to work.

And at least based on what's known of the guys we have in place, that's what everybody was expecting.

The question is where did it go wrong...

It was bad with Rhule and people can argue Rhule had roster control, but Fitt was still having some sort of input.  Now we try the traditional way with Fitt having roster control and it looks worse...  At some point it leads back to him.  

• Pie 2

Just now, ForJimmy said:

It was bad with Rhule and people can argue Rhule had roster control, but Fitt was still having some sort of input.  Now we try the traditional way with Fitt having roster control and it looks worse...  At some point it leads back to him.  

scot will never admit for some reason, its bizarre.  Fitt fuging sucks and I could give you 10 examples at least as to why

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

scot will never admit for some reason, its bizarre.  Fitt fuging sucks and I could give you 10 examples at least as to why

Mr Scot thinks Fitt is the adult in the room instead of looking at everything and seeing Fitt has always been part of the problem. Mr Scot is also afraid of Tepper picking someone worse. Sadly, Tepper can pick worse people. But honestly, things can't get much worse than they are.

Just now, ForJimmy said:

It's still valid to point out that this was the first year of a rebuild.

(yes I know they said otherwise, but it still is; even Steve Smith acknowledged that last night)

Here's the thing though...

The GM doesn't determine the coaching schemes. He ideally gets players that are suited for those schemes, but he doesn't pick what schemes to use or what players to start.

So now that we have a mismatch between personnel and scheme, how did that come about?

Did Fitterer pick the wrong guys? Maybe, but that's kind of hard to say given that we know he took a lot of input from the coaching staff on both the draft and free agents (Miles Sanders, for example).

You also have a head coach who came in stating that he believed in tooling the scheme to the players, not the other way around.

That's why I say you have to see where the problem really is before deciding just to fire somebody because if you fire the wrong guy, you've only made it worse.