• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How would you rank all the Panthers QBs that have started a game?

X-Clown

1 hour ago, CRA said:

Same tier QB. And yeah, and if you rank them you put the dude with a winning record over  the course of 3 years when he was called upon ahead of Sam Darnold.

I weigh the starts more heavily than total career numbers.  They are both bad backup caliber QBs. You insert PJ into a game that is already lost and I don’t really care about those bad numbers.  He is a bad gunslinger.  What you want PJ to do down double digits inserted late? Play smart?  That’s pointless IMO.  Go down in a blaze of horrific glory.  Which he often did lol.  Think he had 3 picks late in one of those games.  

Agree to disagree I guess. I’m not a big fan of the win as a Qb stat mindset, more of a function of the team and competiton, especially with a very small sample size. 

• Beer 2

14 minutes ago, X-Clown said:

So yours is more of a favorite players list. I mean I respect Vinny because he came off the couch to play and he probably shouldn’t have but to say he contributed more than Steve Beuerlein just doesn’t seem right.

TBF... Beurlein was before my time. I went to my first game in 01. 2002 was the first season I really watched as a fan. And then Jake radicalized me in 03 coming off the bench at halftime against Tampa(?) slinging bombs to Smitty and Moose.

I might be underrating Stevie.

But, until we win a Super Bowl, (read: until Tepper gets eaten by my proletariat comrades and we as a people seize the means of Panthers football) Cam and Jake will forever be 1a and 1b on the Mt Rushmore of this franchise.

• Pie 1

For their actual play while here (not in the context of their careers):

1. Cam

2. Jake

3. Steve 

4. Kyle Allen

5. Teddy B

6. Matt Moore

Kerry Collins -- had an okay career elsewhere, but sucked here, and had a bunch of issues.  He's like 7 or 8 for me.  In the Darnold ranks.  

Kyle Allen fizzled out career wise, but he played really well with CMC.  I think he showed more potential than Moore when here, and took more risks on the field than Teddy.  

Something crazy in looking at stats -- Bryce has already passed Jimmy Clausen on our all time passing yards list, so I guess he's got that going for him (insert caddyshack meme)

Not a good list haha

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

For their actual play while here (not in the context of their careers):

1. Cam

2. Jake

3. Steve 

4. Kyle Allen

5. Teddy B

6. Matt Moore

Kerry Collins -- had an okay career elsewhere, but sucked here, and had a bunch of issues.  He's like 7 or 8 for me.  In the Darnold ranks.  

Kyle Allen fizzled out career wise, but he played really well with CMC.  I think he showed more potential than Moore when here, and took more risks on the field than Teddy.  

Something crazy in looking at stats -- Bryce has already passed Jimmy Clausen on our all time passing yards list, so I guess he's got that going for him (insert caddyshack meme)

Not a good list haha

I only put Collins at 4 because of the 1996 season when we went to the NFC championship and he made the pro bowl.

1 minute ago, X-Clown said:

I only put Collins at 4 because of the 1996 season when we went to the NFC championship and he made the pro bowl.

Yeah that's fair.  I think it's easy to put him up there.  

It's crazy to think about how things have changed league wise.  The NFCC year, he was like 14 TDs, 9 INTs, 56% completion.  He played through the modernization of the modern passing game all the way until Cam's rookie year.

Crazy to look back at those QBs stats

https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/category/passing/1996/REG/all/passingtouchdowns/DESC

• Pie 1

Great/good:

1) Cam Newton
2) Jake Delhomme
3) Steve Beuerlein

This list really speaks for itself, these are the only three quarterbacks we've had that were good. Two of them went to a Super Bowl and had years of sustained success. The other, Steve Beuerlein, was a one-season wonder but that one season was one of the most electric offenses in NFL history at the time. Total flash in the pan but one worth remembering.

Average:
4) Kerry Collins

He made the playoffs and had a career winning record with us, so that's saying something. Respectable career, pretty mediocre here.

Below-average:
5) Rodney Peete
6) Sam Darnold
7) Matt Moore

8 PJ Walker
9) Kyle Allen
10) Andy Dalton

None of these guys were good here. However, they did at least provide periods of time with somewhat decent QB play. Peete had a winning record as a starter in 2002, and Darnold opened 2021 and closed 2022 strong. Matt Moore showed promise in 2009, and Kyle Allen looked okay in 2021. Walker at least gave some exciting moments. Dalton looked okay.

Bad:
11) Derek Anderson

12) Teddy Bridgewater
13)
Vinny Testaverte
14) David Carr
15) Frank Reich

These guys were bad quarterbacks. Anderson was a good backup but never a good starter. Teddy ran the most miserable offense I've seen as a Panthers fan. Testaverte was old. Carr... let's not talk about him. Reich was really bad for his few games, but he wasn't the issue with the 1995 team entirely.

Terrible tier
16) Bryce Young
17) Baker Mayfield
18) Taylor Heinicke

These guys didn't just look bad, there was barely anything redeemable. Young looks like an UDFA. Mayfield just did not work with the most batted passes of all time. Heinicke looked utterly unfit for the league.

Garbage tier
19) Brian St. Pierre
20) Chris Weinke
21) Matt Lytle
22) Jimmy Clausen
23) Randy Fasani
24)
Will Grier

The worst of the worst. St. Pierre being so high is actually funny and says just how bad these other guys were. It's really hard to rank such a complete tier of garbage but Grier is probably the worst QB I've seen on this team.

• Pie 2

4 hours ago, X-Clown said:

Moore and Darnold have more wins, Teddy has more yards. Honestly those four were the hardest to rank off the whole list. Like their best stretch of football they were good enough game managers, but crumbled once there was more pressure out on their shoulders. 

Moore had 7 Wins Allen 7 I'll give you Darnold at 8....  Bridgewater 4

The yards are neck and neck for TB and KA 

Difference IMO is Allen put up 5 more TDs than next.... but it's a sewer of bad options 

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, Stumpy said:

1 Cam Newton

2 Jake Delhomme

3 Vinny Testaverde

4 Steve Beuerlein

5 Matt Moore

6 Kerry Collins

7 Teddy Bridgewater

8 Rodney Peete

9 PJ Walker

10 Taylor Heinicke

11 Derek Anderson

12 Randy Fasani

13 Chris Weinke (great teammate/backup)

14 David Carr (front flip = +5 spots)

15 Kyle Allen

16 Brian St. Pierre (🖕from Foxy to JR)

17 Andy Dalton

18 Sam Darnold

19 Matt Lytle (who?!?)

20 Baker Mayfield

21 Jimmy Clausen (got us Cam = +1)

22 Bryce Young

23 Will Grier

24 Frank Reich (coaching career included)

25 2025 1st overall pick (you know we'll fug it up)

How do you Vinny over Steve B? His 5 tds? Vs the guy who holds the panthers single season td pass record???

• Pie 2

1. Cam easily 

2. Steve Beuerlien

3. Matt Moore  

4. Jake Delhomme 

5. Sam Darnold 

6. Kyle Allen

7. PJ Walker

I know putting Moore over Jake will rub people the wrong way but he was outplaying Delhomme in the 07 season when he got his first bit of action. Jake was lightening in a bottle and had an incredible connection with Smith. But he had his flaws that his arm let him get away with until Tommy John. 

Moore was a story of a what if player. Had he been given a longer leash or drafted higher so he could develop he could have been a solid starter for a number of years. He had the right tools but John Fox was too loyal to Jake and emotional rah rah guys.

Edited by OneBadCat

1 hour ago, OneBadCat said:

1. Cam easily 

2. Steve Beuerlien

3. Matt Moore  

4. Jake Delhomme 

5. Sam Darnold 

6. Kyle Allen

7. PJ Walker

I know putting Moore over Jake will rub people the wrong way but he was outplaying Delhomme in the 07 season when he got his first bit of action. Jake was lightening in a bottle and had an incredible connection with Smith. But he had his flaws that his arm let him get away with until Tommy John. 

Moore was a story of a what if player. Had he been given a longer leash or drafted higher so he could develop he could have been a solid starter for a number of years. He had the right tools but John Fox was too loyal to Jake and emotional rah rah guys.

Delhomme blew out his elbow in 2007 which was Moore’s rookie year. You could certainly argue Moore outplayed Jake in 2009, but by that point he was in meltdown mode to the point that he had to go to the browns to stay in the league. Jake was never the most physically gifted guy, but I don’t see how you can argue that a Super Bowl appearance and an NFC championship game with 22 game winning drives and 17 4th quarter comes backs is somehow not better than a guy who had more picks than TDs as a panther.