• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How much smarter is the GM then the fans

TheBigKat

38 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

Really?  I may be wrong but that's definitely not my recollection of the consensus for the 2021 draft lol.  I remember most people being opposed to drafting a LB in the Top 10 because they saw Micah Parsons as an off-the-ball linebacker, not the elite pass-rusher he is today.  I don't know that there was a "consensus" Huddle crush for the 2021 draft, but if anything, the plurality seemed to be gunning for Justin Fields which would have also been a bad pick in hindsight.  There were definitely some who wanted Parsons, but it was a small minority from what I remember.

I agree.  That's hindsight kicking in.  There was the corner debate of Horn vs Surtain and outside of that squabble, Fields probably had the biggest following behind him in real time.  Taking a swing at the QB  but a lot couldn't get on board after the front office signed Sam Darnold. 

there was a little Parson talk but it was small and largely squashed with needing to move on from the classic Hurney LB/RB play.  But largely acknowledged to be the safest play.   

It's easy to pan but not gonna lie, it's a fun exercise to see who it would be if we went with our dudes..

2021: Rashawn Slater - I never bought the guard-only talk.  He filled the biggest need we had for years and we ignored it.  

2022: Garrett Wilson - I was a huge stan of his, I mean, the dude is gonna be a star.  Just had the itch with him.   Not the type of WR you pass on IMO.  Hate that he's stuck in as bad of an offense as ours right now.

There were also lots of DBs and various defensive talent in R2-5 in those drafts.  If we would have just filled the damn LT hole with Slater, we could have set ourselves up the following year for a top-tier weapon like Wilson.  People are always looking at the QB spot but we missed out on filling obvious needs in order to comfortably draft a star weapon.  Everything has been a year late.  And you know, a stud weapon is still the biggest void on this crap team.

Imagine ANY QB with Slater & Moton flanking the ends, DJ Moore and Garrett Wilson on the outside, and CMC as his RB.  It was RIGHT there for us, and we had to get cute.  

• Beer 1

11 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

It's easy to pan but not gonna lie, it's a fun exercise to see who it would be if we went with our dudes..

2021: Rashawn Slater - I never bought the guard-only talk.  He filled the biggest need we had for years and we ignored it.  

2022: Garrett Wilson - I was a huge stan of his, I mean, the dude is gonna be a star.  Just had the itch with him.   Not the type of WR you pass on IMO.  Hate that he's stuck in as bad of an offense as ours right now.

There were also lots of DBs and various defensive talent in R2-5 in those drafts.  If we would have just filled the damn LT hole with Slater, we could have set ourselves up the following year for a top-tier weapon like Wilson.  People are always looking at the QB spot but we missed out on filling obvious needs in order to comfortably draft a star weapon.  Everything has been a year late.  And you know, a stud weapon is still the biggest void on this crap team.

Imagine ANY QB with Slater & Moton flanking the ends, DJ Moore and Garrett Wilson on the outside, and CMC as his RB.  It was RIGHT there for us, and we had to get cute.  

Not picking slater was damn near criminal all things considered

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

21 hours ago, travisura said:

There's a lot of hubris on this board regarding how well they'd do at the GM job. It's not an easy one, and I would not trust one single poster on this board to do a good job in that role.

*Obligatory disclaimer that this statement doesn't mean I don't want Fitts fired, because I know how y'all love to misconstrue arguments*

If the dumbest Huddler was the GM at very worst we'd have one additional loss. And we might even have a 1st round pick next year.

• Pie 3

5 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Not picking slater was damn near criminal all things considered

That 2021 draft bugs the crap out of me.  It left a bad taste in my mouth then, still does.  We had so many picks too (11) and it's only amounted to Horn, Brady C, Chubba and Tremble.  And those guys are still big IFs still/likely won't be around much longer. 

Horn likely won't get a 5th yr picked up, Brady is an average swing-lineman, Tremble is a TE2 (I like him though), and Chubba is an uninspiring RB.  Expendable.

Not to mention, already half of the 2022 draft class is gone (Corral, Smith, Barnes)  

So, twe've got, at MOST, marginal impact from 7 of 17 drafted players in 2021-2022.  That is dogsh*t.  Reality will be maybe half of those guys stick as contributors another year or so, so it's really going to have been a 4 for 17 hit rate.  Nice work Panthers.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, travisura said:

Oh, it could be so much worse than just being 0-10. You're giving the Huddle way too much credit here.

The moves since Tepper bought the team is sub respectable Huddle any way you look at it.

1-9, no #1 pick, not much good in the coaching staff, not much good in the front office, busting QB, little talent on the roster and a completedisconecr in the roster building to coaches scheme. That sounds a lot like the worst of the Huddle to me.

21 hours ago, TheBigKat said:

I’m not going to go through all the rounds but most people scoff at how GMs are SOOOOO much smarter than fans but are they really? 

Let’s look at some key Fitterer picks / signings

2021- Horn, the consensus on here was Micah Parsons. One has the durability of Swiss cheese, the other is a transcendent LB of this current era

2022- Ekwonu- I think the board was in consensus for this pick, just not playing the right position

2023- Young- the consensus was Stroud

trading CMC- I think both fans and GM in agreement

Burns- almost everyone on this board was in agreement on trading Burns, that never happened

resigning Bozeman- board and GM in agreement

resigning Thomas- nobody on this board thought resigning Ian Thomas was a good idea

signing Sanders- board was 50/50 on this, I personally didn’t like the contract given to Sanders

all I’m saying is Scott Fitterer isn’t that savant that’s way better then what some of the elders on this board could do if they were GM of the Panthers

Re: Horn, Slater was right up there with Parsons, if not having more support due to the state of the OL at the time. If Slater had been taken then Carolina would have bene freed up to take someone like Olave, Kenyon Green, trade down (would have made sense in this draft), etc. 

2 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Re: Horn, Slater was right up there with Parsons, if not having more support due to the state of the OL at the time. If Slater had been taken then Carolina would have bene freed up to take someone like Olave, Kenyon Green, trade down (would have made sense in this draft), etc. 

I am still not sure how the fug a scouting dept could totally whiff on parsons?   A fug up like that needs to be questioned. 

• Beer 1