• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2021 and 2022 drafts

AU-panther

1 hour ago, Bear Hands said:

With Ekwonu trending down and Horn not finding the field, it’s beyond bad. 

In addition, don’t forget two of those guys in 2022 were via trades so we gave up additional draft capital for 2 guys not even on the team anymore.

It would be nice if just 1 or 2 of the 4th to late rounders was a pleasant surprise but they have all been pretty much nada.

Scott Fitterer is setting a special place in Panthers history with how low he is setting the bar. I am not sure how it would be possible to be worse at drafting than him.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

39 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Scott Fitterer is setting a special place in Panthers history with how low he is setting the bar. I am not sure how it would be possible to be worse at drafting than him.

This is why it’s absurd to think a fan couldn’t do as well.  You could literally throw darts and do as well. 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

This goes back to the "Was Jeff Otah a bust" argument. The reality is he was a bust but it was due to injuries.

Horn is a bust so far. There isn't any question at all about that.

We just have to hope that turns around. If not, that draft will look REALLY bad in hindsight.

Yeah. Injuries can make someone a bust just as much, if not more than anything else can.

I'm not sure Horn will be able to pull a Thomas Davis and overcome his injuries though. The desire might not be there and unlike in Davis' day, the current Panthers probably don't give him the chance to once his contract ends.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Those lines about not much difference between talent after the top 15 picks or so and then trading back so much should have been huge red flags for Fitterer. That said, there were a few of us that wasn't happy about all the trading back even when most others were praising the moves and how Fitterer was a real GM.

• Beer 1

People forget things fast here... 

Horn vs Surtain was a 1a / 1b argument which basically came down to style. Horn's injuries are unlucky. 

Even when it was the Horn draft, people here WOULD HAVE BEEN PISSED if we drafted a LB as the entire league was moving away from LB's being high draft picks. 

The 2022 LT discussion didnt include Cross at the top of the draft, it was Ickey vs Neal. 

I know a lot of people LOVE to rehash the draft as time goes on, but they need to remember the discussion at the time.

52 minutes ago, CanadianCat said:

People forget things fast here... 

Horn vs Surtain was a 1a / 1b argument which basically came down to style. Horn's injuries are unlucky. 

Even when it was the Horn draft, people here WOULD HAVE BEEN PISSED if we drafted a LB as the entire league was moving away from LB's being high draft picks. 

The 2022 LT discussion didnt include Cross at the top of the draft, it was Ickey vs Neal. 

I know a lot of people LOVE to rehash the draft as time goes on, but they need to remember the discussion at the time.

Agree on Horn and Ickey, nothing wrong with those picks. But I still feel strongly that we would draft way better just using Dane Brugler draft guide. It is an absolute embarrassment to have a huge full time staff this bad. It feels like everyone is completely overthinking and over analyzing the whole thing.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, AU-panther said:

This is why it’s absurd to think a fan couldn’t do as well.  You could literally throw darts and do as well. 

Marty Hurney was a sports writer, turned NFL PR guy, turned admin guy, turned NFL GM. 

NFL has all sorts of dudes making decisions that are the brainiacs some pimp. 

3 hours ago, jayboogieman said:

Yeah. Injuries can make someone a bust just as much, if not more than anything else can.

I'm not sure Horn will be able to pull a Thomas Davis and overcome his injuries though. The desire might not be there and unlike in Davis' day, the current Panthers probably don't give him the chance to once his contract ends.

horn is 100% dawg. sucks about his injury happens. i think theres a decent chance the 5th is picked up. 

20 minutes ago, Basbear said:

horn is 100% dawg. sucks about his injury happens. i think theres a decent chance the 5th is picked up. 

Yeah, I wouldn't doubt they pick up the option. I meant beyond that cheap year, he probably doesn't get a chance with the Panthers to prove he can stay healthy. The analytics Tepper is so fond of would say it's not worth paying him tens of millions more when he doesn't play even half a season.

5 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I think we had a friendly 2021 bet. I thought it would be in the top five best, but after injuries to christ and repeated ones to horn its lost the juice. Tremble and hubbard are the current best at their spots, allll bet this is the least talented team.....which does fall on the GM. I think rhule was at the wheel for his time and tepper was dead set on adding a QB.  

Even without those two elements, its very hard to defend given the current state. Ive looked over the roster and been meaning to do a thread.......summary- no hope.

• Beer 1

22 hours ago, AU-panther said:

There is actually a lot of logic in that.  Teams have a habit, and often one that gets them in trouble, in thinking they are so right about a prospect being good or bad.  Fact is there is some luck in it.

Both Fields and Bryce were gamble, Bryce was alot more of a gamble.

For example we could have stayed put, and took whatever QB fell to us and saved out picks.

Right now, how many people would prefer to have Levis (and DJ)  and our #1 pick next year instead of Young? 

Better chance of finding and developing a QB:  Levis + Williams or Maye + Moore or Bryce Young?

Any player you pick is a gamble.  Of course, when you trade picks to move up, its a much bigger gamble.  

6 hours ago, jayboogieman said:

Those lines about not much difference between talent after the top 15 picks or so and then trading back so much should have been huge red flags for Fitterer. That said, there were a few of us that wasn't happy about all the trading back even when most others were praising the moves and how Fitterer was a real GM.

Oh I know. The quality over quantity argument missed me entirely. 

• Beer 1