• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Derrick Brown is our Franchise player

GPantherfan

13 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

Bryce has played like a rookie. He hasn’t been the guy I’ve seen at Alabama. I’ve been underwhelmed and disappointed. Is that what you want to hear? These are the facts of how I feel. 

But when it comes to the CAROLINA PANTHERS. He’s not in my top 10 list of issues with this team. If I’m wrong about Bryce then that situation will fix itself in due time. But in the meantime I do believe he’s unfairly criticized here to the  point (just like when Cam was here) that we can’t even begin to have a rational discussion 

You got people here calling him Jimmy Clausen and wanting Andy Dalton to start. 

Of course he's in the top 10 issues he's our QB and a number one pick we traded a top 10 WR for. Let's not be ridiculous. That does not mean he is the only issue though.

No I do not think he's Jimmy Clausen. Though simple reality says this offense is on par with the 2010 offense. Some of that has been scheme OL and poor WR play. But unequivocally Bryce has had his role in this. He has got to start proving his arm is franchise QB worthy. Defenses are not at all concerned about that right now regardless of our circumstances.

And I do not think starting Dalton is an option. Bryce has to learn and take his lumps now and next season. There can be no waving of a white flag by sitting him. He either sinks or swims that's the way it's always been.

I want us to defeat the Bucs and I really hope Bryce outshines Baker. The alternative is extremely depressing.

• Beer 1

i don't know if he's a "franchise" player in the sense you build a team around him, but he's certainly playing better than most other players on the team right now. Really fun to watch those times 2-3 times a game where he just decides to work through childhood trauma on some poor offensive guard. 

also, have to mention that somoene on the huddle knew this was coming back in may.....

On 11/28/2023 at 9:59 AM, BrianS said:

I feel like some of us are forgetting the mistake we made with Star and KK.  We paid KK and let Star walk.  The year before we let him walk, our defense 3rd against the run, 15th against the pass and 10th in scoring.  One year later, we were 12th against the run, 15th against the pass and 19th in scoring.

Having that big dude clogging the middle makes your defense better in ways that are very difficult to quantify to a player, but easily seen when looking at the defense as a whole.

I think we're seeing the impact interior pressure has on an offense - against the Panthers right now. Sacks aren't needed when you're constantly disrupting plays with the defensive players closest to the QB at the snap. And in our case, we're hardly even slowing them down. 

The team has actually signed vet DTs and LBs the past few season and yet the only edge help we’ve signed was Reddick and the shell of Justin Houston to one year deals.

Why have we not signed a competent edge to play opposite Burns is beyond me. They keep throwing mid to late round/udfa flyers out there and nothing is sticking.

Burns has more sacks than every other edge rusher on the team combined.

But yeah….. Burns sucks and our pass rush will be fine without him.

1 hour ago, frankw said:

Of course he's in the top 10 issues he's our QB and a number one pick we traded a top 10 WR for. Let's not be ridiculous. That does not mean he is the only issue though.

No I do not think he's Jimmy Clausen. Though simple reality says this offense is on par with the 2010 offense. Some of that has been scheme OL and poor WR play. But unequivocally Bryce has had his role in this. He has got to start proving his arm is franchise QB worthy. Defenses are not at all concerned about that right now regardless of our circumstances.

And I do not think starting Dalton is an option. Bryce has to learn and take his lumps now and next season. There can be no waving of a white flag by sitting him. He either sinks or swims that's the way it's always been.

I want us to defeat the Bucs and I really hope Bryce outshines Baker. The alternative is extremely depressing.

Agree with all, but this team is not remotely on par with Clausen's Panthers. 

Gross and Kalil were pro-bowlers. That's your center and left tackle. Throw in Wharton and you have an above average oline. Steve Smith, Double Trouble, heck even Gettis and Jarrett would be an upgrade over what we have on this offense. 

I think Bryce would look alot better than Clausen did with that offensive cast, even with Frank calling plays. But I 100% agree that he has to start taking shots down field. Maybe he doesn't trust his targets anymore. He took a few early to TMJ and Mingo, but they don't have the ability to go get the ball. Marsette and Strachan desperately need more snaps - if nothing else, to add a threat of speed on the field. 

Just now, Eazy-E said:

The team has actually signed vet DTs and LBs the past few season and yet the only edge help we’ve signed was Reddick and the shell of Justin Houston to one year deals.

Why have we not signed a competent edge to play opposite Burns is beyond me. They keep throwing mid to late round/udfa flyers out there and nothing is sticking.

Burns has more sacks than every other edge rusher on the team combined.

But yeah….. Burns sucks and our pass rush will be fine without him.

Sacks is a deceiving stat. Being able to gain pressure, regardless of sacks, is far more important. Also, being able to be a force in the run game is a must if you want to be paid like an elite edge rusher. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Sacks is a deceiving stat. Being able to gain pressure, regardless of sacks, is far more important. Also, being able to be a force in the run game is a must if you want to be paid like an elite edge rusher. 

Not only is he not a force in the run game, he's often a liability that is targetted. He's undisciplined with his hand in the dirt - getting too far upfield and creating running lanes. And he's just weak at setting the edge. He does excel at running down the ball from the backside and blowing up slow developing runs though - I'll definitely give him that. 

Burns just can’t quite make the game changing type plays like J Peppers. He’s in position to make the play a ton but bats the ball down instead of pick 6. That’s the guy I pay 30 million a year. I don’t know how many times in his career he was an inches away from making a huge play but came up short. 

Edited by GPantherfan

14 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Name me a single team who’s edge rushers outside of the top guy are as bad as the Panthers.

33 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

washington, chicago and new orleans 

I’ll give you Washington because they just traded away their top two guys they spent first rounders on. Luckily they still have two top 20 picks on the interior. 

Saints had to let Davenport walk because they wanted to sign Derek Carr and needed all the cap space they could get to do so. They also developed Carl Granderson nicely which made letting Davenport walk a much easier decision. Granderson clears everyone we have outside of Burns.

The Bears knew Just adding Yannick wasn’t going to cut it so they traded for Sweat.

The fuging 49ers are stacked and still traded for Chase Young (Yes I understand they’re doing what ever they can to win now)

What have the Panthers done to help opposite Burns?

Edited by Eazy-E