• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Smith on the firings

Jackie Lee

13 hours ago, hepcat said:

If it was Brown’s offense and playbook, he would have called the plays from the beginning and he would have been the one getting fired for the anemic offense instead of Frank. It was the same trash offense Frank Reich ran in Indianapolis. 

Yes, it was the same trash offense. I don't know how anyone would argue against that point. 

Brown may have had some say, but I doubt that that B.S. was his, mostly his, or his alone. 

According to Google, the Rams run a "West Coast variant that's heavily based on the wide zone run." I don't think Reich actually knows what that is. 

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

Yes, it was the same trash offense. I don't know how anyone would argue against that point. 

Brown may have had some say, but I doubt that that B.S. was his, mostly his, or his alone. 

According to Google, the Rams run a "West Coast variant that's heavily based on the wide zone run." I don't think Reich actually knows what that is. 

Brown himself said he wrote the playbook "from the ground up" before the season ever started. Why would he lie?

Now, was it influenced? Yes.  Brown listed both Reich and McVay as influences on what he wrote, though Reich's likely would have been greater.

As far as specifics, my guess would be the lack of pre-snap motion would have been Reich's preference. Likewise, the heavy use of shotgun and certain personnel groupings. On the flipside, as I recall some analysts didn't see many of the mesh concepts and triangle read patterns that were common for Reich before.

You know the more I think about it the more I actually buy the conspiracy that Reich really wanted Stroud or Richardson all along, and maybe to prove his point stubbornly refused to change his offense to suit Bryce's needs despite evidence that he needed to. 

Here's my evidence:

1- Tepper admitted that for a long time the Panthers actually planned to trade to 2 to get Stroud, aka during the hiring process of Reich this was likely 'the plan'

2-Despite trading up to one, Stroud was the overwhelming favorite to go to the Panthers for *months* it took up until a week or two before draft week once the leaks started the Bryce became the favorite. Now Vegas does NOT intentionally lose money. Plus there are a ton of reporters who say the talk around the league was that Reich loved Stroud

3- Now here's where it gets tricky. I think they traded up to one and never really thought about it until it finally happened. Well when it did Fitterer, Tepper and likely a lot of other people in the building had Bryce as QB 1 which was not a preposterous take at all. But I think Reich never *really* got on board. He said all the right things because he realized the ship was already in motion but I think he still really wanted Stroud

4- Cut to this year, Bryce is obviously struggling in our offense while Stroud looks incredible. This is obviously not all Bryce's fault and there are multiple systemic issues that would make it impossible for damn near anyone to overcome but I think it secrely made Reich a little annoyed. So instead of changing himself for Bryce he said you know what fug you guys. I wanted Stroud, that's what I signed on for and then you made me draft a guy I didn't want, no I won't change. 

Cut to starting1-10 with the worst offense I've ever seen...

Here's a final thought: Everyone talks about how impatient Tepper is but it could be argued he kept Hurney, Rivera and Rhule all one year too long. Reich he definitely didn't wait too long, why? Because Reich basically wanted to get fired. 

• Pie 2

18 hours ago, CRA said:

Well they all seem to be in agreement and quoting defensive coordinators that Frank Reich has been painfully predictable and the entire league knows what we are doing.   And unless you have a roster of all pros you will simply lose in the NFL if that is what you are.   

Is this what they said when the hire was made?

23 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Brown himself said he wrote the playbook "from the ground up" before the season ever started. Why would he lie?

Now, was it influenced? Yes.  Brown listed both Reich and McVay as influences on what he wrote, though Reich's likely would have been greater.

As far as specifics, my guess would be the lack of pre-snap motion would have been Reich's preference. Likewise, the heavy use of shotgun and certain personnel groupings. On the flipside, as I recall some analysts didn't see many of the mesh concepts and triangle read patterns that were common for Reich before.

And that's what I was so excited to see when someone mentioned it after the hiring. Actually scheming guys open instead of, run the route and beat your defender. Steve Smith is the last receiver this team has had that could do that consistently. And that wasn't route running as much as, being faster than the defender and/or outjumping them for the ball at the point of attack. 

37 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Even if I concede that he wrote the playbook, honestly plays are similar, if not the same in many instances, across the league. That being said, having plays is half the battle (or less), it's actually Knowing when to call them that counts. Of course you should also be trying to run the plays which best fit the strengths of your personnel, and players have to successfully execute the plays as well. 

Edited by top dawg

35 minutes ago, SOJA said:

You know the more I think about it the more I actually buy the conspiracy that Reich really wanted Stroud or Richardson all along, and maybe to prove his point stubbornly refused to change his offense to suit Bryce's needs despite evidence that he needed to. 

Here's my evidence:

1- Tepper admitted that for a long time the Panthers actually planned to trade to 2 to get Stroud, aka during the hiring process of Reich this was likely 'the plan'

2-Despite trading up to one, Stroud was the overwhelming favorite to go to the Panthers for *months* it took up until a week or two before draft week once the leaks started the Bryce became the favorite. Now Vegas does NOT intentionally lose money. Plus there are a ton of reporters who say the talk around the league was that Reich loved Stroud

3- Now here's where it gets tricky. I think they traded up to one and never really thought about it until it finally happened. Well when it did Fitterer, Tepper and likely a lot of other people in the building had Bryce as QB 1 which was not a preposterous take at all. But I think Reich never *really* got on board. He said all the right things because he realized the ship was already in motion but I think he still really wanted Stroud

4- Cut to this year, Bryce is obviously struggling in our offense while Stroud looks incredible. This is obviously not all Bryce's fault and there are multiple systemic issues that would make it impossible for damn near anyone to overcome but I think it secrely made Reich a little annoyed. So instead of changing himself for Bryce he said you know what fug you guys. I wanted Stroud, that's what I signed on for and then you made me draft a guy I didn't want, no I won't change. 

Cut to starting1-10 with the worst offense I've ever seen...

Here's a final thought: Everyone talks about how impatient Tepper is but it could be argued he kept Hurney, Rivera and Rhule all one year too long. Reich he definitely didn't wait too long, why? Because Reich basically wanted to get fired. 

Reich, game after game let guys fly around Icky to destroy Young. He saw what was going on and did NOTHING to plan around it. It was a power play against Tepper. Tepper knew that unless he fired Frank, then Frank would continue to let Young get destroyed. Do you think Frank would ever let that happen to Stroud? 

Just wait and see how much protection Bryce gets from his blind side the rest of the season.  

This take will be validated. You heard it here first. 

It’s criminal what Frank did. 

Young wasn’t my guy, but right now he’s our guy and that’s just wrong. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

Even if I concede that he wrote the playbook, honestly plays are similar, if not the same in many instances, across the league. That being said, having plays is half the battle (or less), it's actually Knowing when to call them that counts. Of course you should also be trying to run the plays which best fit the strengths of your personnel, and players have to successfully execute the plays as well. 

Neither Reich nor Brown did that consistently.

I've grown to believe that Brown may not have been ready to be an OC.

That doesn't excuse Reich, mind you.

7 hours ago, Gapanthersfan said:

Reich, game after game let guys fly around Icky to destroy Young. He saw what was going on and did NOTHING to plan around it. It was a power play against Tepper. Tepper knew that unless he fired Frank, then Frank would continue to let Young get destroyed. Do you think Frank would ever let that happen to Stroud? 

Just wait and see how much protection Bryce gets from his blind side the rest of the season.  

This take will be validated. You heard it here first. 

It’s criminal what Frank did. 

Young wasn’t my guy, but right now he’s our guy and that’s just wrong. 

couldn't agree more