• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Leadership

Harbingers

This may already have its own thread. I’m not keeping tract of the the TB 2.0 right now…

But.

Should never have gotten rid of Wilkes. Tepper obviously fears others leaders. That’s not how you win sports. 

Also though his wardrobe is still, “wtf?” I’m digging this intellectual Cam. 

Edited by Harbingers
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

That last Wilks game was brutal. The D also got worse as his interim stint went on. It was a better culture for sure tho. I get keeping Wilks anyways but he would have been 1 and done given the rest of the issues and setup they have going on. Wilks won in the end, he got a great job that gives him a chance to showcase his ability. 

Rhule destroyed the culture completely and now it's the Teppers Show by default. That is to say it's a negative culture that produced this year's abomination of an attempt to win. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Waldo said:

That last Wilks game was brutal. The D also got worse as his interim stint went on. It was a better culture for sure tho. I get keeping Wilks anyways but he would have been 1 and done given the rest of the issues and setup they have going on. Wilks won in the end, he got a great job that gives him a chance to showcase his ability. 

Rhule destroyed the culture completely and now it's the Teppers Show by default. That is to say it's a negative culture that produced this year's abomination of an attempt to win. 

It getting worse doesn’t predicate the future though. Imagine if he could have brought in his own staff plus Evero and started building the roster from the ground up, rather than top down. 

13 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

It getting worse doesn’t predicate the future though. Imagine if he could have brought in his own staff plus Evero and started building the roster from the ground up, rather than top down. 

He was fine not building his staff in Arizona and Tepper put his wants into it this year also. I have no idea how Evero would have meshed with a defensive HC over him either. 

As far as the roster, Wilks is the coach that had Rosen drafted for him. There is zero reason to believe Fritterer would have changed much, that seems to be some of the issues Frank had here. 

It's wishful thinking really. Would some stuff have changed? Sure. Enough? I seriously doubt it. Wilks doesn't fix the ownership or front office issues, it already sent him to a 1 year HC stint. I think Johnson and Steichen had the best shots to make this team work given their specialties and even then it's hard to believe either one could overcome the mess here. I was fine with keeping Wilks but I thought and still think he would have been 1 and done given his ability and the situation.

Edited by Waldo

14 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Likewise, getting better in the short term doesn't predict the future.  I would rather swing for the fences trying to find a really great coach than settle for "just ok".  That's one thing that kinda bothered me about Frank - I'm not sure that he was "that guy".  The staff he assembled seemed to make sense - lots of young talent - but clearly something was wrong with the chemistry.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

33 minutes ago, Waldo said:

For all their short comings and there were a lot John Fox built a culture here and Rivera embraced it. 16 years of building something although no where near perfect we could be proud of and Rhule Fitterer and Tepper destroyed it in 3 years

• Beer 2

18 minutes ago, RJK said:

They need to clear out that locker room top to bottom. They’re totally fine with getting whipped and collecting checks. Need more dawgs and less choir boys 

Preach. That’s why I’m talking myself more and more into a coach with a defensive background. Mayo, Anarumo, a real culture setter

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, toldozer said:

For all their short comings and there were a lot John Fox built a culture here and Rivera embraced it. 16 years of building something although no where near perfect we could be proud of and Rhule Fitterer and Tepper destroyed it in 3 years

Rhule targeted it to the point of trying to get rid of 'Keep Pounding' and ended up turning it into 'Get Pounded' by accident. He burned it down and left ashes. Wilks set up a solid one from the ashes in a short time and then Tepper decided to not care about the football stuff he doesn't understand. 

45 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

IIRC, he was intent on keeping Holcomb as DC so Evero wouldn't likely have been here

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, X-Clown said:

IIRC, he was intent on keeping Holcomb as DC so Evero wouldn't likely have been here

Good chance may have kept a good portion of the staff intact.

With a coach like Wilks, you really need savant X's and O's guys at the coordinator spots because that's not his forté.

I don't know that Holcomb fits that bill.

Wilks had a chance to be the coach, and his defense utterly failed in embarrassing fashion in a must win game for the division crown. He made no adjustments after halftime either.

I second Mayo. I have long believed that the head coach needs to be a leader of men, a great decision maker and a great personal motivator, not an "offense or defense guy".  Hell Luke Kuechly would be a great head coach, but he's not ready for that commitment yet

53 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

It was reported that Holcomb would be our DC if Wilks was hired, ugh. 
Holcomb sucked and was one of the reason I was glad Wilks wasn’t the hire. 

• Beer 2