• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

It's an organizational problem

LinvilleGorge

40 minutes ago, CRA said:

Trevor had a winning record, won the division, and went to postseason in his first year with Doug.  Finished top 10 in yards. 

Trevor has a winning record this year with Doug, leads the division and would be in the playoffs if they started today.  Currently top 10 in yards. 

How has a 2nd and 3rd year player not been executing?  Also completing 67% of his passes his 2 years with Doug. 

I'm talking about this year. He's way better than Bryce, i'm not saying he isn't and I'd trade for him in a heart beat. Trevor has struggled to execute late, I don't see why that's offensive to you.  I'm just saying the Jags system with Peterson is light years better than Brown/Reich's horrid system, even if the QB numbers aren't high this year

10 minutes ago, CRA said:

I personally think so.  I think he brings a different level of street cred with the players.  And I think he is a better defensive coach in general than Frank is an offensive one.   I also think Fox and Ron had more motivational fire to them than Frank. 

I'd rank Fox and Rivera both ahead of Frank Reich as NFL coaches.   I mean, it's the same general tier though.  I always called Frank an offensive Fox/Ron.  I think they are better.  

I don't think we have done better since we fired Ron Rivera.  Ron isn't a good NFL HC.  But it's still way easier to find worse. 

Any cred Rivera and Del Rio has as defensive coaches died an ugly death this year. 

4 minutes ago, amcoolio said:

I'm talking about this year. He's way better than Bryce, i'm not saying he isn't and I'd trade for him in a heart beat. Trevor has struggled to execute late, I don't see why that's offensive to you.  I'm just saying the Jags system with Peterson is light years better than Brown/Reich's horrid system, even if the QB numbers aren't high this year

it's not offensive, it's just odd how people keep this repeated theme of referencing Trevor Lawrence over and over in Bryce threads. 

this year 8-4, division lead, 67.9 completion, top 10 in passing yards, etc.  On pace for back to back postseason runs with Doug.   He is only in his 3rd year.  Just seems like an odd theme going around.  

• Pie 1

12 hours ago, CRA said:

I still think the football component is just a toy aspect for the billionaire and his wife.  It's their bonus fun. And they are enjoying themselves with their Madden-like management. They invested in a sports franchise to diversify and grow their wealth.  That was and is the reason they are here.  Which it has done in the short time he has owned the team.   In fact, it is mind boggling how good these investments are for the mega rich.  It makes that Frank/Rhule money flushed down the drain mere play money in reality. 

Can blame them?

19 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Our best runs of "success" under Tepper was his first year of ownership when he said he would focus on the business side of the house in year one before "putting his stamp" on the football side of the house and Wilks' interim run when Tepper had likely written off the current season and was simply focusing on the future. He should realize that the less he meddles in the present time the better the results are on the field.

How would he react if a football coach or football front office person came strutting into his office telling him all about how they'd run a hedge fund? He'd laugh in their face and tell them to GTFO and stay in their lane which is exactly what he needs to tell himself on football matters.

Tepper had barely owned the team for 3 months when the 2018 season started. He didn’t have time to mess sh*t up yet. 

• Pie 1

7 hours ago, Call Me James said:

It might be a Tepper problem, but I’m not going to let folks who have championed his move at every turn pretend they weren’t wrong as well.

Even if it was Tepper(it was) his yes men(Fitterer, Morgan, Nicole, etc) got to go. We need people in this organization that will actually stand up to him. My fear is that he will just fire people those people though. I have a feeling that’s why McCown and Deuce were fired.

4 hours ago, Selltheteamtepper said:

Even if it was Tepper(it was) his yes men(Fitterer, Morgan, Nicole, etc) got to go. We need people in this organization that will actually stand up to him. My fear is that he will just fire people those people though. I have a feeling that’s why McCown and Deuce were fired.

I strongly believe McCown was fired either because he wanted CJ and did hide it or because he didn't coach Bryce up on the flaws that everyone can see.

• Pie 1

I pointed this out day 1 with Tepper because I was very familiar with his business practices & philosophy. 

He is not about winning by accumulating the best for top dollar. He wins by bidding up his competition & locking them in to financial destruction of their business over the long term.

He will want to change the game & how business is done by winning teams.

The roster will be built through the draft for key pieces & vet players like Thielen who can be had for bargain contracts & good production while developing the drafted players who will not be benched in favor of the vet.

The biggest obstacle is finding a HC who will completely buy in to this model & not have complete power over his staff, roster, or game day plans.

I don't think Tepper profits off this strategy like he did in business. The only way he makes this work is a coaching by committee approach. He must do what Al Davis did & hire his HCs from college assistants/coordinators & eventually from players of the team under the Tepper philosophy who choose to coach for his team as assistants.

I'd recommend that if this is how Tepper chooses to carry out his long term plan, he should employ a partnership of a winning NFL HC & GM to run the front office.

This means the former HC & GM must have a successful working relationship from the past. Jim Caldwell & Scott Fitterer combo won't get it done.

You could go with a single HC with GM experience who has proven he can build a winning roster & have him take both roles.

So, Tepper will need an older coach/GM who will move away from the field & into the owners box. They must have an assistant HC who is loyal to his philosophy & will elevate to HC. Also, they must marry themselves to Young while selecting their defensive leader on the field.

The obvious answer is Belichick. He focuses his effort more on GM over HC while hiring Bill O'Brien to deal with a majority of the HC responsibilities. Belichick moves to front office in 2 to 3 years & O'Brien becomes HC. Young is the QB for the foreseeable future.

I could see Belichick & Saban teaming up to run the front office when they leave the field soon if Tepper gets what he wants.

I think this is where Tepper is taking the organization. I don't like it because I doubt Belichick's ability to spot offensive talent. I believe he lucked into Tom Brady with a member of his staff spotting him through Stan Parrish.

It will be entertaining to see how this plays out. Could Belichick & Saban be future minority owners of the Carolina Panthers?

• Pie 1