• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Scott Fitterer - the athletic

mrcompletely11

4 hours ago, jayboogieman said:

The real funny part about the Huddle and Fitterer is that a lot of posters on here that are now bashing him were so excited to have a "real GM" during his first draft where he traded back so much. People were ecstatic about how he "worked" the draft adding more lower picks while a few of us were saying passing up higher caliber players for more low talent players was a mistake.

Before he had a track record of bad decision it was exciting have a new GM who made moves. 

• Pie 2

I feel fittterererer just has done what rhule, tepper and other coaches wanted. Sometimes you need to be able to say "No". I dont think he was able or could. 

I wanted to give fitttererererrer some time after he gained some control after rhule. But the facts are the roster has the least talent out of the 32 teams.  That is one rough deal to overlook. 

He did trade greg little, daley, and robbie anderson when no one on earth believed it was possible. Again just far too many negatives to positives. Those are tiny positives too...

Edited by Basbear

5 minutes ago, Basbear said:

I feel fittterererer just has done what rhule, tepper and other coaches wanted. Sometimes you need to be able to say "No". I dont think he was able or could. 

I wanted to give fitttererererrer some time after he gained some control after rhule. But the facts are the roster has the least talent out of the 32 teams.  That is one rough deal to overlook. 

He did trade greg little, daley, and robbie anderson when no one on earth believed it was possible. Again just far too many negatives to positives. Those are tiny positives too...

Yep. Getting a 7th round pick for a player you gave 16M for 6 games was a real coup. 

3 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Yep. Getting a 7th round pick for a player you gave 16M for 6 games was a real coup. 

I swear anderson was signed for like 1yr 6 mill and then came the 2 yr 30 some million deal. It may have been a 2 year deal the first time and that was a bargain at the time. Robbie held out for a new deal and got it. Then rhule was fired and he became a cancer. 

I also think he got a 6th and 7th for him after the cancer deal. Still minor but everyone thought he was tooo toxic for any other team to touch. 

9 minutes ago, Basbear said:

I swear anderson was signed for like 1yr 6 mill and then came the 2 yr 30 some million deal. It may have been a 2 year deal the first time and that was a bargain at the time. Robbie held out for a new deal and got it. Then rhule was fired and he became a cancer. 

I also think he got a 6th and 7th for him after the cancer deal. Still minor but everyone thought he was tooo toxic for any other team to touch. 

RA signed a 2/20M deal in 2020. Had a good first season. Then, for no reason, they gave him an 2/29.5M extension AFTER drafting TMJ. With 20M guaranteed. He sucked all of 2021, then flamed out in 2022. Getting a near useless draft pick for a guy you wasted all that on is not a good thing for anyone. Here are the details. 

Anderson joined Carolina in 2020 on a two year, $20 million contract during free agency. Anderson had a softer than expected market so the Panthers took a chance and for one season it worked out with Anderson putting up a career best 1,096 yards and 95 receptions. 

Even though it was not a one year “prove it” deal the Panthers treated it as such and quickly extended Anderson after the season to a new contract worth $14.75 million a season. This would be a disaster for the team as Anderson only had 519 yards in 2021. Rather than paying the original $8 million salary and then letting him walk after a poor season, the new extension saw the team pay $12.5 million in 2021 and then an additional $12.31 million this year. For that extra $16.31 million in cash and cap the Panthers got 6 additional games, 13 receptions, 206 yards, and a touchdown of production.

• Beer 1

30 minutes ago, Toomers said:

RA signed a 2/20M deal in 2020. Had a good first season. Then, for no reason, they gave him an 2/29.5M extension AFTER drafting TMJ. With 20M guaranteed. He sucked all of 2021, then flamed out in 2022. Getting a near useless draft pick for a guy you wasted all that on is not a good thing for anyone. Here are the details. 

Anderson joined Carolina in 2020 on a two year, $20 million contract during free agency. Anderson had a softer than expected market so the Panthers took a chance and for one season it worked out with Anderson putting up a career best 1,096 yards and 95 receptions. 

Even though it was not a one year “prove it” deal the Panthers treated it as such and quickly extended Anderson after the season to a new contract worth $14.75 million a season. This would be a disaster for the team as Anderson only had 519 yards in 2021. Rather than paying the original $8 million salary and then letting him walk after a poor season, the new extension saw the team pay $12.5 million in 2021 and then an additional $12.31 million this year. For that extra $16.31 million in cash and cap the Panthers got 6 additional games, 13 receptions, 206 yards, and a touchdown of production.

Yea that was a great deal that first year and then came that extension after robbie was crying. I agree the panthers should have held firm. Again rhule was the boss and that was one of his choosen ones......

One great year followed by a disaster year that somehow fitt got a 6th and 7th for a ultra toxic guy. He did nothing for zona and been off and on phins PS this year. 

3 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Yea that was a great deal that first year and then came that extension after robbie was crying. I agree the panthers should have held firm. Again rhule was the boss and that was one of his choosen ones......

One great year followed by a disaster year that somehow fitt got a 6th and 7th for an ultra toxic guy. He did nothing for zona and been off and on phins PS this year. 

What was Fitts job then? Did Ruhle set the terms of the contract? Or was it Tepper this time? It gets hard to tell when Fitt was a cuckold peeking through the bedroom door and when he was saving the franchise with 6th-7th round picks that still have come up yet 2 years later. 

• Pie 1

28 minutes ago, Toomers said:

What was Fitts job then? Did Ruhle set the terms of the contract? Or was it Tepper this time? It gets hard to tell when Fitt was a cuckold peeking through the bedroom door and when he was saving the franchise with 6th-7th round picks that still have come up yet 2 years later. 

Fittererers job was to follow what rhule wanted.

I get what your saying and its true- no one on the outside knows truly what fittererererers role in all the draft picks, trades, and contracts. He cannot take only the bad when a trade is poo, same for the good. 

I was just pointing out how he was able to gain picks form 3 players that had negative values/ getting cut. The baker, cj henderson, and Shenault trades were my favorite low risk high pay off types too. Sure baker didnt work out, but only a 5th was used. Id say its a minor win for the other two, given each had super low salaries while playing snaps. 

A lot to read. As far as Fitterer, we can all have different reasons. Plenty to go around.

I don’t doubt his job was tough between the manic Tepper, obsessed with settling his QB situation with one move (And then another, and another).  One slice of that, add a piece of Rhule bread on the other side, and Fitterer there in the middle-a real poo sandwich

Cut Fitterer loose? Sure, it is a disaster. Next. 

It’s gonna be that loop, whoever replaces him, ad infinitum, unless you actually think we can attract a winning coach with Bryce Young conditionally attached. 

The article I preferred to Person’s, was https://theathletic.com/5149666/2023/12/20/nfl-gms-front-offices-best-worst-rosters/?source=user_shared_article

5 Best 5 Worst type of piece, Fitterer apparently isn’t fooling anybody.

As far as JR: JR meddled his ass off rest assured. Personally, I felt like that whole Peppers thing; tagged twice and lost anyway, was linked with Jake’s big extension which was the ripest contract to go into looking for Peppers tag relief. And that really hurt things for a while. 

However that was, whatever it was, here is the Major thing with Tepper vs JR, and meddling, and a lot of the rest of it:

JR played in the league. I am gonna say that ten times… He understood football. 

JR was qualified to meddle when it comes right down to it. Tepper is not in that class. Not that meddling is great but it can be if it is the right meddling. You know, it might be good if someone with some football smarts meddled with Fitterer. 

I wanted Burns traded at the time and I went crazy in the Burns trade deadline thread. The Huddle was about 50/50 on Burns. The counter argument at the time from popular huddlers was that we might not be able to replace Burns in the draft, so don't trade him. 

I didn't want Sam Darnold at the time, and I was in shock at how much we gave up for him. At the time no other team in the NFL was interested in Sam Darnold, let alone trading a 2nd and 4th for him. Sam was on his way to being released and ending up as a backup QB until Fitt jumped in with a crazy deal. We got fleeced, and picked up his 5th year option. The huddle mostly didn't want Sam, but the hope was that Rhule's system would make Sam a good QB.

Rather than trade CMC for draft capital to move up for a QB, I wanted to trade Burns or other defensive players for draft capital. We could have kept CMC and DJ Moore, and still moved up for a QB. Or even better, don't trade up to #1 overall, just move up some so that you get one of the top 3 QBs. Why were we dead set on the least physically gifted QB in the draft? Just seemed odd. Keep your best offensive players, and then at least it's not torture to watch the team this season. Instead, we have a decent defense, and the offense is unwatchable to the point where BOA is empty. And our good defense has produced 2 wins so far. What does it matter if the defense is good? It's painfully boring to watch this team, and that's coming from someone who follows the team year round.

Fitt is a total moron. I've hated him for a long time now. He makes exactly the absolute worst decisions possible over and over again. Unnecessarily gutting our offense to move up in the draft for a game managing QB is unacceptable. Not trading Burns was idiotic. Getting fleeced for Sam, a proven loser, was soul crushing. Sam killed my love of football, and it cost us a 2nd and 4th to do it. Unreal. 2 firsts and a 3rd for Burns was an outstanding deal. Fitt turned his nose up, said Burns was the cornerstone of our defense, and now he can't make a fair deal to sign him. Depressing.

Fitt has ALWAYS done the exact opposite of what I want. Enough. No mas. Throw in the towel. I'd take any GM over Fitt at this point. I used to say on here "I don't understand Fitt's plan. I don't know what he's doing." HE DOESN'T HAVE A PLAN. We're ruined and it's going to take a long time to repair this damage.

Edited by pantherj
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1