• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Never forget how Scott Two Chinn handled the Lamar Jackson opportunity

TheBigKat

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

Why would they? They would have to clear up so much cap just to watch the offer get matched and the QB value go way up. Several teams messed up their cap bidding for Watson. 

That's a risk I'm willing to take for a MVP caliber QB who wins 80% of his games. If you trying to turn your franchise around go get a franchise changing QB.

Ravens weren't going to match a Watson contract. They are notoriously cheap they don't role like that. That franchise will continue with or without Lamar.

13 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

That's a risk I'm willing to take for a MVP caliber QB who wins 80% of his games. If you trying to turn your franchise around go get a franchise changing QB.

Ravens weren't going to match a Watson contract. They are notoriously cheap they don't role like that. That franchise will continue with or without Lamar.

It’s not a risk. There was a 0% chance of the Ravens letting him go. 

21 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Yeah we can agree to disagree on this one. We just have different opinions on this situation.

My issue wasn't even with the Ravens. They clearly wanted to sign Lamar for something less than the Watson deal. My issue was with the other teams who didn't even make an offer. Hell offer the Watson contract see if they match! That's all I was saying.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe I am. In order to make the offer, you need the cap space available. How many teams realistically had 55m plus per season available to make a fully guaranteed offer? And if you didn't have that money available and had to restructure contracts, look at what we did for Watson, and you knew that the Ravens could just match it, all you've done is hurt yourself to accomplish nothing. It's not like teams didn't want LJ. It's not just about the offer. It's what you have to do to your own situation to even make the offer.  

21 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

They already did. Jacksons contract is larger than Watsons in every way.

Edited by csx

5 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe I am. In order to make the offer, you need the cap space available. How many teams realistically had 55m plus per season available to make a fully guaranteed offer? And if you didn't have that money available and had to restructure contracts, look at what we did for Watson, and you knew that the Ravens could just match it, all you've done is hurt yourself to accomplish nothing. It's not like teams didn't want LJ. It's not just about the offer. It's what you have to do to your own situation to even make the offer.  

But you can negotiate prior to the offer.  We will never know but I personally think it was a coordinated plan by the other franchises to not offer him a huge guaranteed deal because of the fall out from haslam trade/deal 

10 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

But you can negotiate prior to the offer.  We will never know but I personally think it was a coordinated plan by the other franchises to not offer him a huge guaranteed deal because of the fall out from haslam trade/deal 

Maybe, maybe not. What good would negotiating with the Ravens have done once the tag was applied? The price was 2 1sts. Contract or not, it was just a terrible position to be in for another team. 

With the asking price as high as it was prior to the tag, I'm not sure anyone could reasonably expect the Ravens to accept 2 1sts and just let him walk without matching the sheet. From a business perspective, it wouldn't make much sense. 

Edited by SmokinwithWilly
  • Pie 1

1 minute ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

It's not like the Panthers could have offered 2 1sts and a fully guaranteed contract to the Ravens and they had to accept. They could match it and the offer is dead. The odds of the  Ravens letting Lamar walk were ju

Maybe, maybe not. What good would negotiating with the Ravens have done once the tag was applied? The price was 2 1sts. Contract or not, it was just a terrible position to be in for another team. 

With the asking price as high as it was prior to the tag, I'm not sure anyone could reasonably expect the Ravens to accept 2 1sts and just let him walk without matching the sheet. From a business perspective, it wouldn't make much sense. 

But the fact that no team even tried this go around is fishy.  I mean for fugs sake tepper was seemingly all in on watson and he didnt even sniff around on this.  Seems weird.  Ravens could have always matched but seems odd to let another team dictate terms for your star qb.

All in all we will never know but I would have a slightly higher opinion of Fitt if he leaked that he at least inquired.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Martin said:

I agree with Hill, McCaffrey and Lamar being the clear top 3. Their teams are depending on them and they could be dropped in on any team and would immediately raise the level of play on those teams. And that is what the MVP should be about. 

I think the 49ers guys split votes, ultimately. 

"Why bother, the Ravens were just gonna match anyways. It wasn't worth Scott Fitterererers very important and very valuable time!"

What you think youre doing:

Awesome Hat Trick GIF by Audible

In reality:

Fail Season 2 GIF by The Lonely Island

Even if all it would've done is drive up the price of QBs league wide, name me one thing Scott Fitterer did all offseason more productive than that.

tenor.gif.104c934fa4e5652ea1fe4a7c5e0031d6.gif

Hurting all 32 teams > just hurting us!

23 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

But the fact that no team even tried this go around is fishy.  I mean for fugs sake tepper was seemingly all in on watson and he didnt even sniff around on this.  Seems weird.  Ravens could have always matched but seems odd to let another team dictate terms for your star qb.

All in all we will never know but I would have a slightly higher opinion of Fitt if he leaked that he at least inquired.

I have no idea what Fitts did or didn't do and I'm damn sure not a fan of his. My only thought is that someone at the top of the organization looked at what happened with all the restructuring to go for Watson and decided it wasn't worth it when the likelihood of actually getting LJ was nil. That's my hope anyway. 

Like I said before, if the asking price in trade hadn't been so ridiculously high before the tag, another team might have taken a shot at getting LJ. But with that price, I just don't think there was a legitimate chance of ever getting LJ, even if it was a fully guaranteed contract. 

6 hours ago, TheBigKat said:

You give up two firsts and you give him a fully guaranteed deal, it was an easy offer but the owners colluded 

Yep. 

12 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

First is that no team really wanted to give up the draft capital as well as give out the huge contract for someone who wasn't able to finish the previous two seasons.  

Second and more importantly, it was a poorly kept secret in the league that the Ravens were going to match any deal made to Lamar.  Because of that, nobody wanted to waste their time negotiating a difficult contract with Lamar, just for the Ravens to match it and then not get Lamar.

First: plenty of teams were in on Deshaun Watson who hadn’t played in basically two years. Rodgers was falling apart when the jets traded for him. 

second: so? Force their hand. If you really believe the ravens are going to match you lose nothing by making them do so. The panthers weren’t tied to a starter. There was no downside in attempting this. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

It's Tyreek Hill at the moment, IMO.

The 49ers had McCaffery but missed Williams and Deebo and lost games. It's goofy to include RB's in the MVP discussion anymore and especially on the 49ers. 

Lamar would be far better here than Bryce, that's not a question at all. Even under the pressure Bryce gets, Lamar would be scrambling ans making plays with his feet that Bryce isn't capable of. That's why he is so hard to defend(same as Cam, Vick, etc), you HAVE to account for his rushing ability AND his throwing ability. If you cheat one or the other, they are going to hurt you.

McCaffrey has like 400 more yards and 9 more TDs. In a game where Purdy sucked ass, McCaffrey still dominated. Hill is great but he benefits from scheme and teammates just like McCaffrey. The significant gap in production propels Christian ahead.

1 hour ago, Martin said:

I agree with Hill, McCaffrey and Lamar being the clear top 3. Their teams are depending on them and they could be dropped in on any team and would immediately raise the level of play on those teams. And that is what the MVP should be about. 

There are at least 5 teams that Lamar could be "dropped in on" and would not improve that team whatsoever. Chiefs, Bills, Bengals (assuming healthy Burrow), Eagles, Dolphins. Some others are arguable too, I don't think Lamar improves the Cowboys or Lions at all, he wouldn't fit in the 49ers scheme as well as Purdy, etc.

• Poo 1

10 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

Yep. 

First: plenty of teams were in on Deshaun Watson who hadn’t played in basically two years. Rodgers was falling apart when the jets traded for him. 

second: so? Force their hand. If you really believe the ravens are going to match you lose nothing by making them do so. The panthers weren’t tied to a starter. There was no downside in attempting this. 

It really didnt make any sense to not even talk to him.

Cmac

moore

jackson

that poo was realistically in play, then fitt came along