• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

season is over, are there ANY bryce believers left on this board?

And just remember that Bryce's best game was when his #1 receiver made plays that 95% of #1 receivers would make 95% of the time. Though I'm pretty sure he had a few drops early in that game too.

The receiving Corp was a collection of 3s and 4s that no defense respected or feared as threats. Couple that with an oline that went on long streaks of horrible play with a couple of decent moments sprinkled in here and there, and not sure what I should/could have expected from the QB. He's not the type of athlete to force his will. He seems like the type of QB that takes what you give him. Brees was essentially that guy too. But he did it at a very high level and he had a playcaller that could scheme his butt off. Bad human being but a great play caller/schemer.

1 minute ago, Ghostofdelhomme said:

My original statement was he is the worst Qb in the modern era. Not the worst stats although he is up there is not in the pole position. You aren’t going to throw 17 ints with <10 air yards. Common sense. Wins, production, stats all factor in.

And I showed QB’s that were worst by every metric.. Sooooooooo

48 minutes ago, d-dave said:

I know some of y'all just want to trash Bryce because CJ Stroud looks to be the guy and you think we missed.  I get it!  

You don't give up as much as we did for Bryce and cut him after a year.  Look, he did plenty wrong, which is what you expect as a rookie.  But the rest of the offense looked like crap plenty.  Bryce gets another shot next year, regardless of what the fans think because of all the investment put into drafting him.

Now if we don't see improvement in 2024, then by all mean, toss him.  But this team was poorly built, despite being told we were one player away from making noise.  It's going to depend on the next coach and staff.

Sorry, but we're all going to have to wait and see.

This franchise - and this forum - has had this delusion that we've been one guy away and this started all the way back when we brought in Teddy. Enough. If a guy like Mayfield looked like putrid garbage only to look miles better on two separate teams afterwards, I think that's more of a damnation on just how much our QBs are not set up for success. Our line is atrocious, our offensive schemes are utterly predicatble and our receiver corps couldn't scare a little kid on Halloween, let alone a professional NFL defense. I'm not sure what purpose all this hatred toward one guy is going to accomplish because without addressing all the other fundamental problems, then the only thing that changes if/when we put someone else under center is the guy we're going to trash. 

• Beer 1

34 minutes ago, Verge said:

This is an insane overreaction for a rookie quarterback tbh. He showed plenty of flashes and to act otherwise is silly. He gets at least one to two more years. I don't think any of Young's weapons would start on another team except Thielen who would be a WR2-3, certainly not the best weapon on the team. Offensive line was a mess, play calling was a mess early on. You have to give him time to develop and surround him with some talent. I know it's bad when you mirror it to Stroud, but you have to realize the talent gap between the two teams is pretty wide. 

It is only the people who championed Bryce in college and the draft who see “plenty of flashes”. It feels like a case of wanting to see something so bad you see it even if it is not there. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion. 

Obviously my handle shows who I’m a Homer for, but a stop-gap veteran QB like Tyrod Taylor would probably be good for the Panthers the next 2 years.

An upgrade from Dalton, fringe starter, can win you some games if he’s healthy…and no long term threat to your #1 overall.

If not Tyrod, one of these starters playing lately like Minshew, Fitzpatrick, Brissette, etc.  We have to be able to bench Bryce when it’s needed and still win games.  Hell Mason Rudolph is winning games that matter.

• Pie 2

17 minutes ago, recceice said:

Every QB needs something they can depend on.. You can’t be bad at Oline, Surrendering cast of play makers and bad Play caller and think your QB will be good..

Seems ridiculous to me that anyone thinks a QB is supposed to make guys block effectively, get open, catch the ball, then run with it afterwards. 

Maybe I'm different. I just look at QBs as players. Important players. But just players. An elite team can win with average QB play. A bad team will lose with an elite QB.

• Beer 1

36 minutes ago, recceice said:

That’s cool.. Your Opinion.. I’m sorry that I can understand that most rookies won’t be able to overcome these obstacles and you don’t… 

You forgot where most don't remain in the league though. There are WAY more rookie QBs who ride the bench or leave the league than have a rough first season then become stars. WAY more. But we've already said you're the Panters #1 fan. I don't know why you keep responding to people.

Sacked 62 times this season--roughly 4 per game.  With 509 passing attempts, that is 1 sack per about 8  attempts. If you consider how often he was forced into a throwaway or bad pass, then it is difficult to imagine how any QB could succeed in this environment.  His WRs were rarely open and for most of the season, he had 40% of his OL on IR.  His TEs were not much help.  Furthermore, the Panthers were the 8th most penalized team in the NFL; The Panthers were undisciplined and made many unforced errors, especially the OL.  What about his weaponry?  Chark dropped 4 passes on 66 targets.  (To put that into perspective, last season Justin Jefferson, often the focus of the defense, dropped 5 passes on 184 targets).  Adam Theilen was targeted 137 times and had 6 drops.  Mingo had 85 targets and five drops.  TMJ was targeted 33 times and had 2 drops.  Remember, they are not getting open, but when they do, they drop the ball much too often.

Defenses could stunt and blitz all they wanted.  The running game did not set up the passing game--the Panthers were predictable.  They could not run the ball behind Jensen, Jackson, Mays--so they ran the ball wider with more success.  Once that was shut down, the teams could blitz A gaps or they could drop 8 in a wide zone, taking away the flats.  Since DTs could penetrate through Jensen/Mays/Jackson, throwing drag routes was difficult, which would have been the solution under normal circumstances.

My point?  I am skeptical and afraid, but I will be damned if I am going to give up on Bryce when he was given this mess.  Tom Brady in his prime would have struggled here.  Not an exaggeration.  On TV, you see the QB, the hesitation, and the panic.  They said the same things about Tua in Miami, if you remember.  Too early to tell, but I bet you $100 if Bryce went to a team like SF, Seattle, or even Denver, he would be successful.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1