• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers interview requests

Mr. Scot

19 minutes ago, nctommy said:

I am sure they will ask for more permissions for coach and GM and who knows who will actually interview but the list is compiled quickly.  Maybe the recently hired group worked quickly or do you think these are the names Tepper came up with himself?

The GM list is pretty wide spread, missing Agnew and Peters so far.. I'd wager this is the search firm's initial list.  I honestly think both lists are from the firm. Tepper usually obsesses over 1 person.

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, Steelo said:

HC is gonna take longer to hire than GM because of the hiring rules in place.  He'll have a GM in time to will wittle the list down for 2nd interviews and go from there.

Yeah from what I remember and older articles it looks like GMs are hired about mid month (15th-20th) and HCs are hired the the last week or so. Reich was hired on the 26th so we could see a GM in a week or so and HC in 2-3 weeks.

• Pie 2

Just now, ProcessBlue2 said:

Yeah from what I remember and older articles it looks like GMs are hired about mid month (15th-20th) and HCs are hired the the last week or so. Reich was hired on the 26th so we could see a GM in a week or so and HC in 2-3 weeks.

Yeah you don't have much restriction with GM candidates.  The team they are leaving can decline to let them leave right away, but that only matters if they are still in the playoffs or superbowl.

There's def more coming, missing another minority or female candidate for the coaching search. Need 2 external for either HC or GM so I'm thinking we're looking at between 10-15 names for either spot.  That's an exhaustive list imo. Still doesn't account for people declining interviews so I guess better to cast the net and interview what comes in.  if we're going up against only 4 other openings for HC... 5 once the patriots figure out what they are doing then I like our odds at getting an HC that we want.

My real worry.. I guess is the GM spot. I know who I'd like to hire, they aren't yet on this list.  There are names I like on the list though.

• Pie 1

seems like a cap administrator type of GM would be more of an ideal fit for a  team that is already successful & needs to be good at negotiating contract extensions in order to make that happen

a team like the Carolina Panthers who have the worse roster in the entire NFL &  needs to upgrade the quality of  players on both sides of the ball through the draft & some via free agency thus needing a great talent evaluator for GM.

...just saying this seems so much like the complete opposite of what we truly need in a GM...

right or I am missing something ?

Edited by bandu

20 minutes ago, bandu said:

seems like a cap administrator type of GM would be more of an ideal fit for a  team that is already successful & needs to be good at negotiating contract extensions in order to make that happen

a team like the Carolina Panthers who have the worse roster in the entire NFL &  needs to upgrade the quality of  players on both sides of the ball through the draft & some via free agency thus needing a great talent evaluator for GM.

...just saying this seems so much like the complete opposite of what we truly need in a GM...

right or I am missing something ?

I think you are right, and that’s why we need Harbaugh who could help in those areas as well. Sorry, I’m spam ping Harbaugh stuff, but they really need to do whatever it takes to get him. 

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

I think you are right, and that’s why we need Harbaugh who could help in those areas as well. Sorry, I’m spam ping Harbaugh stuff, but they really need to do whatever it takes to get him. 

yeah I agree Harbaugh is my #1 choice as well  as he would be an ideal fit at HC  for a young QB who is struggling

Edited by bandu
  • Pie 3

I don’t mind an analytics driven GM. The GM doesn’t have to be the elite scout. His/her role is to build the best personnel department, put the best processes in place etc. Ensure fundamentally sound decisions are done.

In my opinion, life long scouts are much more prone to get “seduced” by perceived strengths and overthinking it. I don’t think an analytics driven GM would have picked Bryce. He would have been too much of an outlier with few measurable strengths. An analytics GM wouldn’t have panicked, traded up and drafted DJ Johnson.

Just my take.

• Pie 3