• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers interview requests

Mr. Scot

11 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm not in the habit of making any clams about my own knowledge. I'm comfortable and confident in what I believe, but I'm not my own source and have never claimed to be.

To be clear, the story in The Athletic wasn't focused on Halaby, but did have a lot of info about him. The primary issue there was the environment created by Lurie and Roseman. Kapadia was familiar with it because he spent years covering the Eagles.

You can find a lot of corroboration to that story in one by another longtime Eagles writer, Jeff McLane. He wrote what amounted to a small novella back in March of 2021 that described all the goings on in Philly. These days, it's only available via subscription that I've found, but at the time I had the full text of it downloaded from somewhere. mcLane does have a podcast titled "Uncovering the Birds" that has more recently detailed problems in the locker room / front office and such.

Whether any of that mentions Halaby specifically? Don't remember. Possible that it did, but Halaby wasn't a name relevant to Panthers discussion back then.

The thing that's most important about those stories right now though is that the dysfunction found in them very much appears to be ongoing.

What's quite possibly the biggest evidence of that for me? That here just a few years later, they're back in the same spot, set to fire a successful coach. And hell, Sirianni was only in the Super Bowl last year so he went from the penthouse to the doghouse even faster than Pederson.

That's a huge red flag.

To explain it another way though, let me ask you this:

Given what's known about the Panthers dysfunction right now, If you were a fan of another team, would you look to this organization as an ideal place to hire from?

I wouldn't. Hell, I'd likely say keep away at all costs.

The Eagles do have a much better track record of success, but they also have an argually worse record of turning on the people who've helped bring about that success.

For a team that's looking to rebound from its own toxicity, do I really want to import anybody from that environment?

I'd call that the question that most needs to be answered, especially when you consider that there are other candidates with equally good or better resumés that don't have those red flags.

You said it yourself that Halaby has never been mentioned to be a part of the problem. Carolina hasn’t had any personnel that has been close to candidates like Halaby in probably over 7+ years. Or a majority of the candidates being considered. I’ve heard people mention Dan Morgan as the GM if so they would have already hired him. IMO I would say name Ed Dodds as GM, and then either Brandt Tilis/Alec Halaby/Mike Greenberg

3 minutes ago, razorwolf said:

You said it yourself that Halaby has never been mentioned to be a part of the problem. Carolina hasn’t had any personnel that has been close to candidates like Halaby in probably over 7+ years. Or a majority of the candidates being considered. I’ve heard people mention Dan Morgan as the GM if so they would have already hired him. IMO I would say name Ed Dodds as GM, and then either Brandt Tilis/Alec Halaby/Mike Greenberg

Only issue with just promoting Dan Morgan is that Rooney rule applies for GMs as well. You have to go through the entire process even if we ended up with Dan as GM in the end.

32 minutes ago, Wolfcop said:

Sorry, but if you are interviewing this year’s Panthers OC, that screams Rooney Rule interview. It sure wasn’t because of production. 

They have 4 or 5 already that meet that requirement 

• Pie 1

36 minutes ago, razorwolf said:

If you read the excerpts from Kapadia's article, Halaby is absolutely mentioned as part of the problem. It was whether or not McLane mentioned him or not that I don't know.

As to Halaby being something special candidate-wise, yeeeah...no. His resumé isn't anything special.

1 minute ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

There really could be three new openings (Steelers, Cowboys, Eagles) man that would be BRUTAL for us

I don't necessarily agree.  Eagles are weird wildcards and go against the grain.  Steelers would probably go offense but like Todd Monken/Callahan type of guy or dig deeper.

1 minute ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

There really could be three new openings (Steelers, Cowboys, Eagles) man that would be BRUTAL for us

Could be a blessing in disguise. Whoever Tepper wants to hire #1 is going to be the wrong guy based on track record. Pushing down to his 3rd or 4th option could be good 

2 minutes ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

Steelers and Eagles moving on now would be idiotic.

Cowboys gonna Cowboy.

Pounce on Tomlin if so. $$$$$

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Selltheteamtepper said:

Thomas Brown is getting head coaching interviews? The Rooney rule abuse is out of control. Why are they wasting this man’s time? 

They have like 5 minorities lined up, by current age terms... they are doing the most lol

I'm not defending the job Thomas Brown did as an OC here.  But I'll just say this

1) There is a lot of evidence of guys being FAR worse here than they are in other places.  Coaches and players included.  Brown still may have a very bright future.

2) Thomas Brown is only 37 years old and was an assistant head coach under Sean McVay (the type of coach every team pursues nowadays) for a team that won a Super Bowl.  Even if he was white, he would be getting HC interviews.  Teams will pursue any notable assistant under McVay.

Edited by Mage
  • Beer 1