• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers interview requests

Mr. Scot

1 hour ago, Evil Hurney said:

Not the worst outcome. Callahan's stock is a bit depressed since the Bengals missed the playoffs. Otherwise he checks a lot of the boxes: multi-year OC, young, history developing a young QB.

And Joe Burrow as a QB. We don’t have Joe Burrow

3 minutes ago, philit99 said:

And Joe Burrow as a QB. We don’t have Joe Burrow

And the other issue.

Their HC is the play caller.  And their HC was the one everyone was giving credit for the QB and the offense just 2 years ago.

This feels very Reichish.  An OC who never called plays.  But point to his work with a backup QB for a few games.  Callahan is essentially what Reich was leaving Philly 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, ncfan said:

And the other issue.

Their HC is the play caller.  And their HC was the one everyone was giving credit for the QB and the offense just 2 years ago.

This feels very Reichish.  An OC who never called plays.  But point to his work with a backup QB for a few games.  Callahan is essentially what Reich was leaving Philly 

Is he, didn’t know that as the bengals games I saw this year, Callahan had the call sheet and sending in plays 

who knows 

let’s face it, not many want to work for Tepper, with a zero sum game of talent, no first rd pick and Young at qb 

It’s a pipe drum to expect much more 

on the other hand, all the names where ‘no names’ at one time 

Edited by raleigh-panther

3 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

Is he, didn’t know that as the bengals games I saw this year, Callahan had the call sheet and sending in plays 

who knows 

let’s face it, not many want to work for Tepper, with a zero sum game of talent, no first rd pick and Young at qb 

It’s a pipe drum to expect much more 

on the other hand, all the names where ‘no names’ at one time 

Taylor is the play caller.

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Why-the-Bengals-are-December-Dominators?pid=1440316#pid1440316

Taylor is also the one everyone was crediting his work with Burrow 2 years ago.  

23 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Taylor is the play caller.

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Why-the-Bengals-are-December-Dominators?pid=1440316#pid1440316

Taylor is also the one everyone was crediting his work with Burrow 2 years ago.  

Whether they do or don’t call plays doesn’t equate to how successful they will be as an offensive HC. 
McVay, McDaniel, Taylor (was QB coach) and O’Connel to name a few weren’t primary play callers before getting HC gigs. 
Basing preference off of wether or not they called plays but then referencing coaches who previously weren’t primary playcallers is kind of backwards. 
This isn’t a vouch for Callahan, just an observation 

• Pie 1

50 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

Do you guys think the list we have out now is all we will interview, or will there be more in the coming days? 

I think the list is big enough as it is. Don't know that we really need to add anybody else.

Hell, I'd have probably preferred a smaller list.

• Pie 1

For me, I have three tiers and would be happy with any of the candidates. I'd prefer Tier 1, but I am not getting my hopes up. I want the next hire to have three things....

1 - A plan for Bryce. He doesn't have to be specifically brought in as a "Bryce Whisperer", but Young is our franchise QB and has untapped talent that was not 

2 - A common vision/alignment with our new GM to build the culture and personnel the right way. I don't care if they are OC or DC, just get this team back on track from top to bottom.

3 - Who is he bringing with him? This can be everything from coordinators to potential players and connections around the league. For example, would having Callahan be the connection that decides on where Higgins goes in FA? Could we land Jamo Williams with BJ's tie to Detroit? The players matter less, but it definitely helps a francise with poor optics around the league right now.

The Big 3 who I want first and foremost. A clear separation from the other candidates:

• Harbaugh
  • Johnson
  • Vrabel

The Young Coordinators that are all lumped together for me for differing reasons. Each are ready but could see differing levels of success/failure once they are the man running the show and not strictly calling plays. I really don't think either is necesarily "better" than the other.

• Evero
  • Slowik
  • Smith
  • Canales
  • MacDonald
  • Monken
  • Callahan

The more "veteran" HCs with experience calling the shots and with SB experience. Both of their last stints didn't end well, but time has passed and shouldn't be held to that forever:

• Morris
  • Quinn

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, Steelo said:

In a digital age where Kellen Moore leads Vegas betting odds as our next HC the rumblings (or lack therefore of)of random people on the net does very little to move me when the only true indicator is a concrete notification that the interview went down. If it doesn’t happen it doesn’t happen, but basing interest on the “reporting” of people with anonymous sources does nothing for me. 

I’m not talking about random people on the net. Falcons beat (who are very much reputable) have been on top of their interest in Harbaugh and Belichick for a while now. And both those interviews wound up happening. Not that our beat reporters have any worth and maybe we’re just that tight lipped but there being no hint whatsoever of any interest in those 2 guys makes it more likely than not that we’re just not considering them. Sure we could hear in an hour that we spoke to Harbaugh this morning. But that’s a much longer shot than if there was some reported interest in him before now.

36 minutes ago, Jmac said:

They can't afford to miss on HC and GM again. If they do, they will not see the light of day for ten years.

An evil little part of me is curious what happens if we get one of those two right but the other wrong 😄

• Beer 1