• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

With the entire season behind us, what's the worst team in Panthers history?

TN05

Which season was the worst in team history?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. With the entire season behind us, what's the worst team in Panthers history?

It's gotta be 2010, but 2023 is close.  

This year's defense would have shut them out handedly and been a solid 6-0 affair if they played.  2001 had the best offense of the three and that was a different era almost.  Hard to really compare IMO.   

2023 was the most disappointing and biggest trainwreck season in our history, but 2010 is the worst team.  Although, I look top down rosters, and maybe it was 2023? I dunno haha

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

2023 is the worst.  Worst talent. 

then 

then 

I'd put money on both of those teams beating the 2023 squad.  2001 was the most competitive despite the record.  2010 was the best actual roster of the 3.  Way more than this squad.    Fox was a dead man walking and didn't give a rip.  I think he enjoyed having Clausen implode it all.  You can't tell me with that OL and RBs.....they couldn't of lined up ran at the 2023 and beat them fairly easily if the coach wanted to.  Hubbard would have been battling Mike Goodson for 3rd on the depth chart on that squad and it probably would have been a battle.  Depth on that OL would have started for the 2023 squad too.  

• Beer 1

Icing on the cake is 2010 and 2001 were the end of eras/regimes.  Being bad made sense.  You could stomach that.  2023 was supposed to be the start of something good.  You weren't supposed to be that bad.  Designed to be a window of hope not the end of something. 

• Pie 5

2023 is easily worse than 2010.  2010 Panthers was an okay team with a terrible rookie QB.  2023 Panthers was a terrible team with a terrible rookie QB.

I mean look at the 2010 Panthers offensive line alone.  Gross, Wharton, Kalil, Schwartz, hell even Garry Williams was actually good that year IIRC.  

2007-2013 era Panthers is such a wasted period of crazy talent.  We had soooo many good players.  Then Delhomme's elbow exploded.  2011 and 2012 had so many soul-crushing losses.  2013 team got unlucky running into the 49ers in the playoffs.  By 2014 our secondary was awful and the OL looked to be in shambles with Gross retired, plus no Steve Smith.  That team had no business in the playoffs.

Edited by Mage
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2

It's 2023 by a long shot for several reasons. The highly picked QB and coaching staff were brand new and were a colossal failure so because of the bleak future and no first overall pick to show for the miserable season, 2023 takes the sh*t cake. 

I sat through each of them and it's a progression of bad to worse to worst in chronological order. 2001 was competitive and we were still trying to get to parity with other NFL teams and shaking off our expansion tag. 2010 was a lameduck season with a coach being made to finish out his contract. 

This year, this year was a special kind of suck. A combination of poor coaching, years of bad team building, over-reach in drafting, poor drafting for three years and a spate of injuries. Woof. That was a dog of a season.

2023 has been the worst so far of the bunch. We can only hope that 2024 doesn't set a new mark for futility and frustration.

Remember, this has been Tepper  trying to fix the team for three tries so far...

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

27 minutes ago, Mage said:

2013 team got unlucky running into the 49ers in the playoffs.

the worst officiated game I can recall outside the 2015 Super Bowl.  We straight up looked to be the better team vs 49ers in the first half yet trailed by 3.  You knew the game was over at that point.   

Only going 2001 because in my opinion that was lead by the worst QB to ever don a Panthers uniform. My hatred for Weinke is only matched by my hatred for meatball Marty. Tepp and his handpicked QB are working on it, but at least Bryce isn't a guaranteed fumble lost every game like the 38 yr old that should've went undrafted we put out there to suck it up. As an overall team effort the 2023 would get curb stomped by the other ones easily. Worst on every phase of the game.

48 minutes ago, Mage said:

2023 is easily worse than 2010.  2010 Panthers was an okay team with a terrible rookie QB.  2023 Panthers was a terrible team with a terrible rookie QB.

I mean look at the 2010 Panthers offensive line alone.  Gross, Wharton, Kalil, Schwartz, hell even Garry Williams was actually good that year IIRC.  

2007-2013 era Panthers is such a wasted period of crazy talent.  We had soooo many good players.  Then Delhomme's elbow exploded.  2011 and 2012 had so many soul-crushing losses.  2013 team got unlucky running into the 49ers in the playoffs.  By 2014 our secondary was awful and the OL looked to be in shambles with Gross retired, plus no Steve Smith.  That team had no business in the playoffs.

That 2008 team could have been a legit title contender if Jake's arm held out a month longer. He had been clutch all season, the running game was the best we ever had, Steve and Moose were as dynamic as ever.

2014 was entirely Gettleman being a complete moron and nuking a position (offensive line) for no reason

18 minutes ago, CRA said:

the worst officiated game I can recall outside the 2015 Super Bowl.  We straight up looked to be the better team vs 49ers in the first half yet trailed by 3.  You knew the game was over at that point.   

Back when Kap was a league golden boy.