• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Definitely Chose the Wrong QB

Calboyz13

3 hours ago, PghPanther said:

The bigger picture here is that the Texans and Panthers both sucked at the same time............and now the Texans don't but the Panthers suck even worse..........

Which really begs the question......

......how in the hell did the Panthers ever beat the Texans this year?............and more profoundly how in the hell did Young outplayed Stroud in that game? 

Somethings just don't add up............

Texans fan here and I was at that game. I don’t have time to look it up but I believe after that game CJ kind of called Slowik out about conservative play calling and Slowik started to open it up a bit more after that game. 

on the flip side the six Texans sacks aside I felt Bryce showed off play ability, made some crucial throws, even if the panthers only scored 15 points. 

• Pie 1

On 1/15/2024 at 4:06 PM, Ghostofdelhomme said:

These types of videos are so ridiculous misleading its not even funny. Its the equivalent of showing a typical highlight video of a player which is only gonna show the good plays not the bad ones. 

On 1/13/2024 at 6:49 PM, MtnJax said:

Stroud wouldn’t have looked like the ROY on this poo sandwich of a team this year

This is true. But he's shown that with the right scheme and talent around him he can thrive. Can Bryce?

I certainly hope so but we'll never know if we don't get this head coaching hire right.

• Stroud has the "it" factor and should have been the #1 pick.
  • People should be able to say that without being all doom and gloom.
  • The Texans know they have their QB while the Panthers still hope they have their guy.
  • Stroud is already one of the best QBs in the league.
  • It's too early to say Young is a bust.
  • Young can become one in time, but would still be behind Stroud.
  • It's ok to say the Panthers missed.
  • Says taking Young over Stroud wasn't the big mistake based off what was known at the time. The big mistake was trading up to #1 in the first place.
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

8 hours ago, As1459 said:

Texans fan here and I was at that game. I don’t have time to look it up but I believe after that game CJ kind of called Slowik out about conservative play calling and Slowik started to open it up a bit more after that game. 

on the flip side the six Texans sacks aside I felt Bryce showed off play ability, made some crucial throws, even if the panthers only scored 15 points. 

Thanks for the assessment.  I think this is true, but Bryce has yet to show this consistently.  While he has shown some flashes, there is nothing thus far indicating that he should have been the pick.

The Panther Fan in me will continue to watch and be hopeful that BY can pull it together but the rational person in me has already started telling the fan in me to take another shot of something  so we can go sulk in the corner. 

Congrats on the season and good luck this weekend.  You folks should be very optimistic.

• Beer 1

14 hours ago, CPF4LIFE said:

I will say, I pounded the Tyrique drum and he had a lot of detractors in the draft build-up.  That kid balled out for Chicago this year and he played way more snaps than expected.  

Elsewhere...related to the thread, The Athletic had a lovely new CJ v. Bryce article:

https://theathletic.com/5206755/2024/01/18/c-j-stroud-bryce-young-texans-panthers-nfl-playoffs/

15 hours ago, jayboogieman said:
  • Stroud has the "it" factor and should have been the #1 pick.
  • People should be able to say that without being all doom and gloom.
  • The Texans know they have their QB while the Panthers still hope they have their guy.
  • Stroud is already one of the best QBs in the league.
  • It's too early to say Young is a bust.
  • Young can become one in time, but would still be behind Stroud.
  • It's ok to say the Panthers missed.
  • Says taking Young over Stroud wasn't the big mistake based off what was known at the time. The big mistake was trading up to #1 in the first place.

Young got so many lazy and poor evaluations. It was all look how special he plays in school vs he has a lot he needs to clean up that was actually true.

He is 100% right about the trade. I knew they had fugged up when they announced it. Bad teams don't get fixed with just 1 player.

• Pie 2

8 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

I will say, I pounded the Tyrique drum and he had a lot of detractors in the draft build-up.  That kid balled out for Chicago this year and he played way more snaps than expected.  

Elsewhere...related to the thread, The Athletic had a lovely new CJ v. Bryce article:

https://theathletic.com/5206755/2024/01/18/c-j-stroud-bryce-young-texans-panthers-nfl-playoffs/

Can you break down the article some? Just curious to what the naritive is now out there.

2 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Can you break down the article some? Just curious to what the naritive is now out there.

It has a few anonymous execs being interviewed about CJ vs. Bryce.

A few are still towing the "it's everything around him line" and we gotta do more to make him better. 

Some are saying it's a combination of factors including Bryce, he wasn't posied but we didn't put him in a good situation.  

...and a few others are on the we-made-a-mistake camp.  See below:

Even if it’s acknowledged that the circumstances in Carolina were worse than they were in Houston, it’s also still possible the Panthers simply left the better player on the board.

Young had plenty of support around the league as the best quarterback prospect, but it wasn’t unanimous. The concerns were real over his 5-foot-10, 204-pound measurement at the combine, to the point that some executives said they couldn’t justify spending such a high draft pick on him.

“I was never a huge Young fan,” an executive said. “So I would say they took the wrong guy.”

Another executive agreed.

“I think they took the wrong guy,” the executive said. “(Young) is very small. (There was) no talent around him, but in the end, Stroud was the better prospect.”

So it seems the lively debate here persists in the execs world.  

2024 is going to tell us a lot about Bryce and the future of this team.  This GM and Coaching hire becomes all the more critical.  

The article rounds out by mentioning the S2 leak fiasco and how certain execs didn't buy it because CJ obviously has a strong football IQ.  Also says in a nutshell how you can't close the book just yet but we've created a bad situation.  And that CJ has just been awesome.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Young got so many lazy and poor evaluations. It was all look how special he plays in school vs he has a lot he needs to clean up that was actually true.

He is 100% right about the trade. I knew they had fugged up when they announced it. Bad teams don't get fixed with just 1 player.

They should have stayed at 9 and just taken BPA to keep building the roster, but as I stated leading up to the draft, they had to give people some hope after so many losing seasons and take a QB. As for Young vs Stroud, Young was the better college QB. Young played better when pressured. Stroud just didn't play well when defenses got to him until the Georgia game. In that game, Stroud flipped a switch. Back then, I wondered if the Georgia game was a one off since the entire season had been the complete opposite for Stroud. That's why I preferred Young.

But Stroud has kept up his play. Kudos to him. Now the question is if he can keep that level of play up in the future. The question for Young is if he simply improve and make more plays like he did in college.