• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Definitely Chose the Wrong QB

Calboyz13

On 1/18/2024 at 10:27 AM, jayboogieman said:

Yeah, the trade was a huge mistake and cost way too much. As for Young being peaked, eh, he can add muscle and get stronger. He can also work on his passing and footwork to improve them. 

these are unrealistic individually and contradictory when done together. 

bryce managed to eat himself to 200 for the combine, but he didn't throw and there were reports he was playing his last year at Alabama at 165. He has a very slight frame, and there's a limit to how much someone can realistically put on their body. And it's not like he was playing at a D3 school; Alabama knows what they're doing in S&C. Now there is some thought that Alabama doesn't let their QBs lift weights that much, but that might ahve just been an excuse for why mac jones looked like poo. Obviously Jalen Hurts was lifting. But even if he puts on 10 pounds of pure muscle (more than 10% of his likely bodymass) he's still going to be undersized. And the only thing that he was good at this year was scrambling. you change his body comp, you're going to lose that. 

And then at the same time if you're doing all that, that's not the ideal thing to do if you're trying to work on his throwing motion and footwork. You dont want to substantially change his body composition while changing all his footwork and throwing motion. And frankly if the number 1 overall pick is a qb who needs his footwork and throwing motion completely changed...well...he shouldn't have been the number 1 pick, but I don't think anyone is arguing that anymore.

so yeah, his frame is too little to add enough weight for him to physically belong in the nfl, and doing so would make it difficult to change all his mechanics and would take away from his ability to scramble

cut his ass

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

On 1/20/2024 at 6:39 AM, OldhamA said:

He went to Alabama - their S&C programme wouldn't look out of place in the NFL. 

Yet Mac Jones and Tua aren’t in incredible shape and Bryce is underweight. Bama might have the facilities but their QBs don’t really look to partake in the weight room or the diet and conditioning programs. 

14 hours ago, Brent Gregory said:

As it stands now this is the biggest talent evaluation miss in nfl history. How you could watch and evaluate these 2 qbs and conclude the little guy with no tools was better than the prototype nfl qb with all of them is just mind numbing.  

I don’t think we were allowed to claim he lacked tools, that sort of talk brought out the pitchforks. I never understood the devotion to the guy when he had never even suited up yet.        

I can’t wait until this is passed.                                                                                                                

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

19 hours ago, Brent Gregory said:

As it stands now this is the biggest talent evaluation miss in nfl history. How you could watch and evaluate these 2 qbs and conclude the little guy with no tools was better than the prototype nfl qb with all of them is just mind numbing.  

Such is the absurd arrogance of Scott Fitterer and David Tepper.

• Beer 1

Now the question i wonder, was hiring dan morgan somehow a move made to protect bryce or was it because he was the best man for role??? A new GM and coach from outside the organization has no ties to the current roster. So it less hassle on Tepper to have to deal with new staff wanting to make changes. Guess we will see

10 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Now the question i wonder, was hiring dan morgan somehow a move made to protect bryce or was it because he was the best man for role??? A new GM and coach from outside the organization has no ties to the current roster. So it less hassle on Tepper to have to deal with new staff wanting to make changes. Guess we will see

Morgan was team Bryce and helped build last years team in lockstep with Fritters. Pretending he isn't more of the same would require blinders. Yes, somethings will change but it's going to be the same show Tepper has put on his entire ownership except he keeps figuring out how to make it worse each year. Same as Fritterer, a well liked guy who performed poorly here before getting the 'he deserves a chance' treatment. 

Expect a HC that is fanatical about Bryce because guess who can't be wrong about Bryce regardless of that first year of film? Yep, Morgan just stepped into that. 

On 1/21/2024 at 6:10 PM, electro's horse said:

these are unrealistic individually and contradictory when done together. 

bryce managed to eat himself to 200 for the combine, but he didn't throw and there were reports he was playing his last year at Alabama at 165. He has a very slight frame, and there's a limit to how much someone can realistically put on their body. And it's not like he was playing at a D3 school; Alabama knows what they're doing in S&C. Now there is some thought that Alabama doesn't let their QBs lift weights that much, but that might ahve just been an excuse for why mac jones looked like poo. Obviously Jalen Hurts was lifting. But even if he puts on 10 pounds of pure muscle (more than 10% of his likely bodymass) he's still going to be undersized. And the only thing that he was good at this year was scrambling. you change his body comp, you're going to lose that. 

And then at the same time if you're doing all that, that's not the ideal thing to do if you're trying to work on his throwing motion and footwork. You dont want to substantially change his body composition while changing all his footwork and throwing motion. And frankly if the number 1 overall pick is a qb who needs his footwork and throwing motion completely changed...well...he shouldn't have been the number 1 pick, but I don't think anyone is arguing that anymore.

so yeah, his frame is too little to add enough weight for him to physically belong in the nfl, and doing so would make it difficult to change all his mechanics and would take away from his ability to scramble

cut his ass

Said this from day one.........his frame is built more for playing tennis, should have been an Arthur Ashe.

People say he is durable............nonsense, he's hasn't come across that hit yet what RG3 and Vick suffered both also slight framed but at least they had speed which Young doesn't. 

He's been lucky so far..........but the odds will catch up. Folks champions are born as much as they are made......genetics plays a huge factor in all aspects of life.........and Young doesn't have the genetic for the physical frame/muscle twitch fibers that it takes in today's NFL. 

22 minutes ago, PghPanther said:

Said this from day one.........his frame is built more for playing tennis, should have been an Arthur Ashe.

Oh he’s absolutely not big enough for tennis. All your top male players would dwarf him. Maybe in like the eighties. Topspin make a tennis ball very heavy. You have to have enough body mass to absorb it and hit it back. It’s why even like half drunk male country club pros can beat top ranked females; the ball they hit is just too heavy. It’s also the reason Pete Sampras serve was so deadly; it felt like a brick hitting your racquet. My dad played with Pete and Agassi at a pro - am Charlotte racquet club in like 1991. It was just a hit and giggle fundraiser but he said Sampras knocked his racquet out of his hand until he got used to it. 

But yeah those dudes are huge now. I was a decently ranked junior tennis player until it turned out my height in sixth grade was as tall as I was going to get. ask me about drawing John Isner at sectionals and him being like six foot twenty in eighth grade. He blew me off the court. 

28 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

Oh he’s absolutely not big enough for tennis. All your top male players would dwarf him. Maybe in like the eighties. Topspin make a tennis ball very heavy. You have to have enough body mass to absorb it and hit it back. It’s why even like half drunk male country club pros can beat top ranked females; the ball they hit is just too heavy. It’s also the reason Pete Sampras serve was so deadly; it felt like a brick hitting your racquet. My dad played with Pete and Agassi at a pro - am Charlotte racquet club in like 1991. It was just a hit and giggle fundraiser but he said Sampras knocked his racquet out of his hand until he got used to it. 

But yeah those dudes are huge now. I was a decently ranked junior tennis player until it turned out my height in sixth grade was as tall as I was going to get. ask me about drawing John Isner at sectionals and him being like six foot twenty in eighth grade. He blew me off the court. 

I'm thinking tennis back in the 60s - 70s...........golf too during those times

20 hours ago, OneBadCat said:

I dont think CJ would have been the same CJ here. I think there are certainly some plays you could point to that Bryce missed where CJ would have made the throws though.

Coming into the season, Houston's receivers were ranked dead last in the league, and just look at what Stroud has done to elevate their performance. Stroud would have certainly thrived here with our more talented receivers. Also, with Stroud's arm talent, our playbook and play calling would have been a lot different, because unlike Bryce, CJ can play under center and can make accurate throws to all parts of the field.

What could have been and what we now have... Boy oh boy, Tepper sure picks them like nobody else can.

• Beer 1