• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will Scott Fitterer go down as one of the worst GM’s in NFL history?

hepcat

7 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Fitterer's 1st rounders:

2021 (#8 overall): Jaycee "IR" Horn

2022 (#6 overall): Ickey "Speed Bump" Ekwonu

2023 (#1 overall, plus #1 overall in 2024): Bryce "Super Processor" Young

Mayock was terrible but he didn’t spend years under a good GM (learned nothing) and he drafted Maxx Crosby, Josh Jacobs, Moreau and Renfroe in 2019 even with a shitty first rounder. That’s better than Fitterer’s picks.

Also, more importantly Mayock did not handicap the Raiders upon exit by trading the next draft’s #1 overall pick and the following drafts 2nd rounder. Mayock also didn’t refuse a game changing trade for Burns while also never extending him a year and a half later.

It’s funny because Mayock was a failed experiment and still he was not as bad as Fitterer.

• Pie 3

10 hours ago, hepcat said:

The Bryce Young trade could potentially be the worst trade in the history of the NFL if Bryce is a bust for what they gave up to get him.

His list of failures is long and touches every part of being a GM. I won’t go into all of them but one of his worst decisions is the trade he didn’t make with Brian Burns to the Rams for 1sts and a 2nd round pick. What a dunce. 

The Panthers had a horrendous record during his tenure. 

Anyone else think history will not be kind to Mr Fitterer?

It was Tepper who wanted to trade up for Young. It was Tepper who forced the team to draft Young. 

history may put that on Fitt because owners always get a pass, but that wasn’t on him. 

8 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

It was Tepper who wanted to trade up for Young. It was Tepper who forced the team to draft Young. 

history may put that on Fitt because owners always get a pass, but that wasn’t on him. 

We may never truly know whose decision it really was but I think the fact Fitterer lasted as long as he did despite terrible roster construction shows maybe Tepper did understand he did not set him up for success 

Even if Bryce busts, I don't even know if it's top 10 worst trades of all time, especially when you have the Watson and Wilson trades just within the past few years.

That's not even talking about the trey lance trade, which the 49ers gave up more for even less output for him but fell ass backwards into a pro bowl QB with the last pick of the draft last year.

Then there's Herschel walker which is also infinitely worse.

Don't get me wrong, the trade is a bust unless Bryce turns into a consistent pro bowl QB, but it's not even in the conversation for worst all time. Just worst in franchise history.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, WhoKnows said:

Mayock was terrible but he didn’t spend years under a good GM (learned nothing) and he drafted Maxx Crosby, Josh Jacobs, Moreau and Renfroe in 2019 even with a shitty first rounder. That’s better than Fitterer’s picks.

Also, more importantly Mayock did not handicap the Raiders upon exit by trading the next draft’s #1 overall pick and the following drafts 2nd rounder. Mayock also didn’t refuse a game changing trade for Burns while also never extending him a year and a half later.

It’s funny because Mayock was a failed experiment and still he was not as bad as Fitterer.

Gruden had A TON of say over there as well. I think he had more influence than people really know. 

27 minutes ago, BountyHunter said:

Matt Millen.  drop mic

Still better. He drafted Calvin Johnson and several multi-year starters.

The other thing is that he left the Lions with the parting gift of a #1 overall pick when he got fired which turned into Stafford. He did not trade away that pick.

Terrible drafter yet still overall, his reign of terror was not as bad as Fitterer.

• Pie 2

33 minutes ago, SuperBowlBound said:

Gruden had A TON of say over there as well. I think he had more influence than people really know. 

I have zero clue, just that again when measuring Fitterer against completely awful GMs, Fitterer still seems worse.

59 minutes ago, hepcat said:

We may never truly know whose decision it really was but I think the fact Fitterer lasted as long as he did despite terrible roster construction shows maybe Tepper did understand he did not set him up for success 

Or he learned one thing from Hurney, how to survive the axe.

I think so.

We actually fired him really fast by NFL standards.  Teams will give really bad GMs like 5 years sometimes.  It usually takes that long for their plan to completely bottom out anyway.  Look at how long Steve Keim lasted as GM with Arizona.  Matt Millen lasted EIGHT YEARS.  Imagine 8 years of Scott Fitterer?  Imagine how much more damage he could have done?

Think about that.  It took 8 years for the Lions to go 0-16.  The Panthers damn near accomplished that last year.  We came pretty damn close.  Didn't even have a 4th quarter lead - those Lions were MORE competitive than us.  And guess what Millen's Lions didn't do?  Trade away their 2009 1st round pick or WR1 Calvin Johnson.  They got Matthew Stafford out of it.  We are not going to get Caleb Williams out of our suckage.  

We crap on Tepper and rightfully so.  But thank god he pulled the trigger.  Firing a GM 3 years in almost never happens, but that is how fast Fitt tanked this team.  He took a team that was in perfect position for a rebuild, an attractive destination, and he blew it up into flames in 3 years.  And you can't blame Rhule.  If anything, Rhule saved us from Fitt.  Because after Rhule got fired is when Fitt was at his absolute worst, beginning with not doing the Burns trade (I'll admit I was wrong on that one - we should have done it).

So when you consider how far he nuked the team in the shortest amount of time, I think he's gotta be in the convo as worst GM.  We should be thankful we won't have to endure 8 years of it (which does keep Millen at the top).

• Pie 7
  • Beer 1

I’d be interested to know if any GM has made as many trade aways of picks as Fitterer did, in only 3 years no less. Note that I included the full cost to get that player (pick used as well).

Darnold - 2, 4, 6

Young - 1, 1, 2, 2, DJ (GB offered a 1st)

CJ - 3

Baker - 5

Corral - 3, 4

DJ Johnson - 3, 4

Truly amazing for the poo we actually got/drafted. 2 1sts (3 with Moore), 3 2nds, 3 3rds, 3 4ths, a 5th and a 6th.

Oh the humanity, we basically gave 3 drafts worth of 1st to 4th round picks in 3 years of a GM. I mean, I have to give Fitterer credit for just how much he dismantled this team and set back its future.

• Pie 7
  • Flames 1

Mike Lynn, Minnesota Vikings. On Oct. 12, 1989 he traded with the Dallas Cowboys to get Herschel Walker. 

Minnesota received Herschel Walker, a 1990 3rd round pick from the Dallas Cowboys, a 5th round pick from the San Diego Chargers (because the RB that Minnesota sent to Dallas, Darrin Nelson, wouldn't play for Dallas so they sent him to San Diego in exchange for their 5th rounder), the Dallas 1990 10th round pick (10th round... those were the days), AND Dallas' 3rd round pick in 1991.

Here's what they gave away for it: Darrin Nelson (see above), Minnesota's 1st and 2nd round picks in 1990, their 6th round pick in 1990, Minnesota's 1st and 2nd round picks in 1991 AND THEN their 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks for 1992. They also gave them four players, each of whom became some of the aforementioned draft picks when they were cut from the team.

Herschel would go on to have the second biggest failure of his career (counting the ill-advised run for Senate in Georgia as the worst), Minnesota would be relegated to more than a decade of decline and degradation, while Dallas would go on to parlay those picks into even more picks and grab players like Emmitt Smith and Darren Woodson.

Fitterer was bad and was regularly played for the sucker by other GMs, but no one has been taken advantage of like Mike Lynn before or since. 

Then there's the guy who traded everything for Russell Wilson to go to Denver, or the guy who gave up everything to get Deshaun Watson in Cleveland and maybe the guy who got suckered into taking Aaron Rogers to the Jets. 

There's always someone worse. It's just that Fitterer was our fool and that makes it hurt more.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, CPcavedweller said:

it was Tepper who wanted to trade up for no one in particular IMO. 

I feel it was Fitterer who talked Tepper into Young.  Or at the very least, allowed it to occur by not siding with Frank. 

People have always deferred everything away from Fitterer.  Jaycee Horn was Fitterer too.  Not Rhule.  Matt Rhule was never making all the calls.  You can't convince me Matt Rhule on his own opted to use his very first NFL pick on a LOB era DB in the top 10 and it wasn't the Seattle guy.  Young also meshes in well w/ that Seattle mindset. 

• Pie 2