• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So how did we get it so wrong with Baker Mayfield?!? Coaching / Roster / Culture / Tepper?

TheBigKat

16 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

Baker is a decent QB who can’t overcome a bad team, we were a bad team 2022 , we were even worst this past season. Very few QBs would be successful on this god awful roster and coaching staff 

He couldn't overcome his desire to leave for a better organization. He never wanted to be here, didn't want to stay here, but I'm glad he's finding success after bouncing around the league. 

Baker has much better weapons than we do. We had DJ, CMC for half the year, and a bunch of JAGs last year.

We also shouldn't forget that McDooDoo's playcalling was atrocious until maybe the last 5 games of the year.

Personally, I thought both Baker and Sammy Boy were solid QBs - they are game managers that can get the ball to good skill position players. Not sure if Baker just didn't care to be with us or what, but I personally thought Darnold was good for us last year overall

• Pie 1

27 minutes ago, FugginPoo said:

Does this mean that maybe just maybe Bryce isn’t trash but it’s the overall team and coaching on offense that is trash?  That CJ stroud wouldn’t be rookie of year on this team/coaching?

Nah, Bryce is trash. Good quarterbacks elevate those around him. Bryce has until the end of next season to show he's worth keeping. If not, cut bait. 

1 hour ago, GhostOfDocAnderson said:

He couldn't overcome his desire to leave for a better organization. He never wanted to be here, didn't want to stay here, but I'm glad he's finding success after bouncing around the league. 

Did he get a better offer?

Or was he cut?

1 hour ago, PleaseCutStewart said:

Personally, I thought both Baker and Sammy Boy were solid QBs - they are game managers that can get the ball to good skill position players. Not sure if Baker just didn't care to be with us or what, but I personally thought Darnold was good for us last year overall

Baker was also pretty good filling in for Stafford in LA.

And Darnold has looked pretty good in spot duty in SF.

It’s like all of our recent players and coordinators who looked bad here then thrive elsewhere.  It really is painful to watch.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, csx said:

We traded for a guy we knew the OC wasn't a fan of. Not that it was personal but their styles didn't mix.

And it seemed like he came in late, as an afterthought but not that because it illustrated how unenthusiastic Rhule or whoever was over what they already had done at the position.

You could just tell it was someone panicking behind the scenes, hint hint, about the QB position. Which has been the norm for 4 years at least, I lose track. 

On our team Baker looked like he forgot how to play and would never play again. He could barely complete a pass at times.

There are a lot of issues, but our team culture is trash. Players just don’t want to work/play hard.

Cam said as much when he left.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1