• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

RIP Sports Illustrated

17 hours ago, Tbe said:

They are $110 million in debt and missed a $3 million interest payment 2 weeks ago.

They’re not coming back.

Maybe Bezos will buy SI, just like he purchased the Washington Post.

Traditional print media; where capital goes to die.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I first got introduced to Sports illustrated when I was 10 or 11 years old. A neighbor who had been subscribed for years gave me his collection. I immediately started reading all the football articles.

Good times...

Many teenage males start with the swimsuit issue… or so I’ve heard.

I don't even remember when I first read Sports Illustrated. Not that I didn't read it, but the only issue that I went out of my way to see was the swimsuit issue. 

I used to look at Jet Magazine also. The first page I would go to was the Jet beauty of the week. 

Testosterone!

Honestly though, when I was a little kid, Reader's Digest was a favorite, as well as National Geographic. But, When I began to make an allowance (probably about nine), the only magazines that I used to buy were Mad Magazine and Cracked! Those were the good ol' days.

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 1

11 minutes ago, bythenbrs said:

Many teenage males start with the swimsuit issue… or so I’ve heard.

Yeah, I wasn't familiar with it. But then as I was looking through the collection I found my first one. I think it was Cheryl Tiegs on the cover.

My response, of course, was "WHOA! WHAT'S THIS?" 😄

• Pie 1

18 hours ago, Tbe said:

They are $110 million in debt and missed a $3 million interest payment 2 weeks ago.

They’re not coming back.

They might still come back, if someone is willing to pay the licensing fee for the name. No idea who owns the legacy content, but there is some value there too.

There's a market for smart sports reporting. Unfortunately for SI, that role is currently filled by The Athletic

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yeah, I wasn't familiar with it. But then as I was looking through the collection I found my first one. I think it was Cheryl Tiegs on the cover.

My response, of course, was "WHOA! WHAT'S THIS?" 😄

IMG_2087.jpeg

Edited by bythenbrs