• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Interviews: Round Two

Mr. Scot

I like the idea of canales, but the one thing that would scare me is no one else is interviewing him. Seems strange Carolina is the only one who identified him unless I’m missing something.

i said before the process started these are the only acceptable options in order:

1. Ben Johnson

2. Bobby Slowik

3. Dave Canales

4. Mike Macdonald

and I can be sold on evero if you can’t get one of the above.

28 minutes ago, csx said:

If you like Evero why would you care and how would you know they didn't like Evero too?

Because it just seemed like wasted resources if the overall decision to hire Evero came from Tepper... What was the point of even going through this process then??

57 minutes ago, methodtoll said:

Because it just seemed like wasted resources if the overall decision to hire Evero came from Tepper... What was the point of even going through this process then??

I don't really care about resources. I just think Evero is a good candidate. Tepper is far from the only one who would hire him. He was getting interest at HC before he came here and made our defense respectable amongst the turmoil and scheme change.

6 minutes ago, csx said:

I don't really care about resources. I just think Evero is a good candidate. Tepper is far from the only one who would hire him. He was getting interest at HC before he came here and made our defense respectable amongst the turmoil and scheme change.

I believe if Evero gets hired as an HC elsewhere we get a draft pick, so I’d be down with that.

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Candidate pool isn't complete yet

I don't know... I think I read somewhere (maybe on here) that the Panthers are moving quietly away from Johnson. The only other two we have shown interest in is MacDonald and Monken so is quite possible one, if not both, could get a second interview

But if the reports are true that they want a tandem that has worked together, then Canales makes the most sense. 

1 hour ago, NJPanthers12 said:

I like the idea of canales, but the one thing that would scare me is no one else is interviewing him. Seems strange Carolina is the only one who identified him unless I’m missing something.

i said before the process started these are the only acceptable options in order:

1. Ben Johnson

2. Bobby Slowik

3. Dave Canales

4. Mike Macdonald

and I can be sold on evero if you can’t get one of the above.

The more I think about it I’m a bit torn on Ben Johnson, his oline is very very good, so would he struggle without it? Some of the best plays from the Lions are slower developing because the line gives Goff plenty of time. But maybe I’m overthinking it?

21 minutes ago, methodtoll said:

I don't know... I think I read somewhere (maybe on here) that the Panthers are moving quietly away from Johnson. The only other two we have shown interest in is MacDonald and Monken so is quite possible one, if not both, could get a second interview

But if the reports are true that they want a tandem that has worked together, then Canales makes the most sense. 

Haven't seen that anywhere 

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Haven't seen that anywhere 

*BRIAN Johnson. The one that they didn’t even interview. Unless there’s some new report about Ben Johnson that I haven’t seen circulating yet. 

No denying the Canales prospects may be gaining more steam w/ Morgan taking the helm.

Looking over Tampa's offensive staff - it looks like the majority of assistants were on staff a good bit before Canales arrived in the offseason. Brad Idzik, the current Bucs WR's coach came with Canales to Tampa. Looks to have maybe had a larger role in Seattle offense while with Seahawks - including offensive quality control & assistant qb coach. Also a Wake grad for those keeping local scores. So he was there for both resurgences of Geno Smith & Baker. Too green for OC? Obviously you'd think Canales would call the shots - so maybe that could be the move. 

The big question with Canales would be DC. Wonder what that could look like. Would Evero consider sticking around again at DC - if we pass on him for HC 2 years in a row? There were ties to Capers last year, but his role seemed pretty quiet as the season went on. Not sure if he's planning on hanging around. 

Worth eyeing for sure. 

33 minutes ago, Steelo said:

*BRIAN Johnson. The one that they didn’t even interview. Unless there’s some new report about Ben Johnson that I haven’t seen circulating yet. 

Yeah, could be it but I swear I saw someone posting that the Panthers were quietly going away from Ben Johnson... I am going to research it a little more... Could just be someone talking out of their arse though.

• Pie 1