• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB Quandary: 2024 Draft, FA Stopgap, or Stand Pat?

rayzor

best course of action at QB in 2024  

86 members have voted

1. 1. best course of action at QB in 2024

• 2024 draft pick
    • FA stop gap to get us through to 2025
    • Stand Pat with who we've got

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We're talking about what they should do not what they will do. We already know that Tepper's Panthers are extremely unlikely to do what they should do.

So in your opinion they SHOULD waste more assets on another QB when they already have one under a rookie contract (That already cost us a ton of assets to acquire) as well as a proven vet starter who has a history of being solid and no first round pick this year?

That's some Fitterer roster building logic.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

i am no way in favor of tanking yet another year in 2024, especially so we can get the #1 or #2 pick in a draft making a desperation move for another bad QB (2025 is pretty blah with QBs).

let us do what we can to see some wins next year. 

2 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I can't write Bryce off yet. I know tons of others have because they're reactionary, think they know better and want to be right, but I can't. Gotta give him next year to prove if he has it or not. The situation was screwed from the jump and literally no one looked good in our offense not named Adam Thielen. Bryce is the QB so he is the punching bag, but he doesn't deserve all the crap he's getting from the fan base because he was far from the only thing wrong with us this season.

If he sucks next year, then he sucks next year, we reassess in the 2025 draft. No reason to keep sending good money after bad year over year with QBs. Ride it out with Bryce and try and fill out the roster to surround whatever QB we end up using going forward, but do it competently this time around.

This exactly. If he is good next year you probably aren’t in a position to draft the best QB in 25. If he sucks, you probably are. This team isn’t going to be great regardless, even if they are improved. Fans need to be more patient with Bryce, at least for one season.

• Pie 3

4 minutes ago, MGH1989 said:

What they should do and what they will do are the exact same thing. If this fanbase had their way we would have given up Derrick Brown after year 1. 

Brown looked very good as a rookie. He had a down second year and a lot of folks overreacted to that. But you are smoking that real good poo if you tink there's any evidence that Tepper's organization will do what they should do.

I'm not saying draft a QB. What I'm saying is that you shouldn't pass on one that you really like. The trade is a sunk cost. Those assets and the pick we spent on Bryce are gone. We aren't getting them back. You have to evaluate him for what he's shown not what you thought he'd be. If there's anything that Tepper should understand as a finance guy it's that.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 2

2 minutes ago, rayzor said:

i am no way in favor of tanking yet another year in 2024, especially so we can get the #1 or #2 pick in a draft making a desperation move for another bad QB (2025 is pretty blah with QBs).

let us do what we can to see some wins next year. 

So we should trot out a veteran QB to win 7-8 games, find out noting about whether our number 1 pick QB can play, but be slightly good enough to not be in position to draft a top QB in 25 and remain in purgatory?

That sounds terrible.

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Brown looked very good as a rookie. He had a down second year and a lot of folks overreacted to that. But you are smoking that real good poo if you tink there's any evidence that Tepper's organization will do what they should do.

I'm not saying draft a QB. What I'm saying is that you shouldn't pass on one that you really like. The trade is a sunk cost. Those assets and the pick we spent on Bryce are gone. We aren't getting them back. You have to evaluate him for what he's shown not what you thought he'd be. If there's anything that Tepper should understand as a finance guy it's that.

People were calling DB a bust after one year.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

fug the stop gap 

If Bryce sucks let him tank for one more year so we can actually keep our first overall in 2025 and draft a better qb. 

Getting one in the 2024 draft is a waste of a pick imo. Build the team and see if Bryce improves or not.

Whatever happens, we need to avoid trading picks away for a while. Having a team this bad missing 1st and 2nds through 2025 is a killer if you're trying to rebuild. 

Getting a vet qb and starting him instead will probably win us enough games to get a mid round pick and not truly be able to solve qb. That's what you don't want to do (this has been the commanders for a while prior to this off season where they're expected to get a qb with pick 2)

Edited by Hoenheim
  • Pie 2

The roster has so many holes they can't waste what little draft capital they have on another QB. They should definitely bring in some free agent QBs (plural) to compete with Bryce. Make him earn it. This franchise has babied Sam Darnold and Bryce Young to pathetic results. Get a QB who earns the f*cking job. 

• Poo 1

11 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Who are "people"? Those people were idiots.

Indeed they were/are, and I daresay that Brown showed much more potential and 'flashed' more (as much as I hate that term) relative to his position than Bryce did this year. Bad OL, bad receivers, yada yada... Bryce still didn't show much above the Mendoza line within the realm of what he could control, and hte little bit that did look good was far from consistent or predicatble.

Edited by KSpan
  • Pie 1

Oh, as for a stop-gap?  We might as well stick with Dalton.  This free agency for QBs is rough!

image.png.1fb3315e917bcd6f92ede42e74ed7785.png

We could always give Darnold another go. *Ducks incoming*  Minshew possibly, but that's it.  No, Cousins ain't coming here to be Young's backup or even to "compete" with him.

20 minutes ago, MGH1989 said:

So we should trot out a veteran QB to win 7-8 games, find out noting about whether our number 1 pick QB can play, but be slightly good enough to not be in position to draft a top QB in 25 and remain in purgatory?

That sounds terrible.

what if you do all that working to lose and wind up with the #1 pick but the #1 ranked QB is a weak prospect?

let bryce compete with a competent QB or two. let him develop. let us try to win some with whoever rises above the others. 

i'm tired of losing. another year of it....THAT sounds horrible.

• Pie 2

Has anyone actually looked at the free agents for 24? 

https://sports.yahoo.com/13-nfl-quarterbacks-free-agents-202717864.html

Either will ask for too much money or not really an upgrade over Dalton.

This delusion that one guy is going to magically fix the whole team is the very mentality that got us into this mess in the first place. We wasted draft capital and cap on Bridgewater, Darnold, Mayfield, Dalton and Young - and gave up talents like DJ/CMC in the process - that could’ve been used to upgrade the rest of the roster. Instead, we let our roster degrade to where I can’t name one position on this team that doesn’t require an upgrade. 

The way I see the QB position for 24, they are more likely to be the sacrificial lamb that's going to take the lumps of a team in the midst of a rebuild. In other words, trying to throw someone other than we already have is going to be a waste of picks/money because we'll likely discard for something better.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1