• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hornets Trading Rozier to the Heat

42 minutes ago, HardcoreHokie said:

A “protected 2028 1st” - we just started 2024, 4 years out and protected?!!  I dunno, the (hopeful) salary dump is fine but man

Terry was worth way more than this.  Heat fans and even casual fans are loving this deal for Miami.

It’s a 2027 protected first and unprotected in 2028.

So in reality it’s only three years out and realistically we won’t even be competing for the playoffs until 2026 with a proper rebuild.

At that point we could have an extra first round pick in 2027 or a trade asset.

I get people want a quick fix but trying to fix this thing quickly by acquiring guys like Gorodon Hayward is the reason we are in this position to begin with.

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

It’s a 2027 protected first and unprotected in 2028.

So in reality it’s only three years out and realistically we won’t even be competing for the playoffs until 2026 with a proper rebuild.

At that point we could have an extra first round pick in 2027 or a trade asset.

I get people want a quick fix but trying to fix this thing quickly by acquiring guys like Gorodon Hayward is the reason we are in this position to begin with.

I feel like we could’ve given up Hayward for a similar deal, no?  Lowry for Hayward?  Expiring for expiring?  Old dude for old dude.

31 minutes ago, HardcoreHokie said:

I feel like we could’ve given up Hayward for a similar deal, no?  Lowry for Hayward?  Expiring for expiring?  Old dude for old dude.

Hayward and Lowry will both be traded; Hayward might even fetch a first as well.

People need to take a look around.

Only perennial all-stars are bringing back hauls in trades. Rozier is a good player that has a cap hit of $24M next year and $26M the year after that, that’s all he is, a highly paid, good player. He’s not a Siakam level player.

Additionally, there’s only so many teams that would even be interested in Rozier and they are all contenders. Hell, there’s only so many teams that could even fit Rozier’s cap hit in. Kicking the pick down the road might even beneficial because the Heat are going to be solid for the next couple of years.

Acquiring more veterans on bloated contracts for guys like Rozier and Hayward would just be shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic.

My only complaint is that we didn’t land Jovic in the deal but it could have been a scenario where we chose a future first round pick over Jovic and a second round pick.

Edited by MillionDollarCam
  • Pie 2

Scary Terry has way too many 0-6, 1-7 nights for me. Great trade for us. He shoots 35% from 3pt line, I can't imagine us not finding someone that can do that. BYE Terry, thanks for everything and good luck! Gordon should be next! 

• Beer 1

Terry really hasn't been a good fit here with the current group of players, as good of a player as he is (and he is very good) I honestly think this is addition by subtraction. He'll fit in much better with the Heat. I'd have liked to have gotten a better pick but who knows maybe we'll be getting a high lottery pick in '28 out of it... And don't get me wrong I love me some scary terry at times, he had some incredible games and moments here. But it made sense for everyone to move on

• Beer 1

Is there EVER gonna be a time that the Hornets plan on trying to WIN GAMES? You don't win games by trading your best player away for a pick 3 years down the road. Rozier was one of my favorite players and now he's gone, for NOTHIN. So tired of them not even TRYIN to win...

• Pie 1

40 minutes ago, Big Daddy D said:

Is there EVER gonna be a time that the Hornets plan on trying to WIN GAMES? You don't win games by trading your best player away for a pick 3 years down the road. Rozier was one of my favorite players and now he's gone, for NOTHIN. So tired of them not even TRYIN to win...

Miami has loss 2 straight games with Rozier.

I get he was a good player, but he wasn't helping us win games. It was time to move on. This opens up a bigger role for Miller.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

12 hours ago, jayboogieman said:

Sucks to see it in print but he's not wrong.

We were getting roasted on twitter after the Knicks loss over LaMelo laughing it up courtside with James Bouknight of all people. The culture is nonexistent. I don't know that it's going to get much better either. And if I'm being completely blunt it's a terrible look for Ball after sticking with his friend Miles Bridges through the domestic violence. If the new owners were the slightest bit connected to the fans they would have already relieved Steve Clifford of his duties.

Edited by frankw

33 minutes ago, frankw said:

We were getting roasted on twitter after the Knicks loss over LaMelo laughing it up courtside with James Bouknight of all people. The culture is nonexistent. I don't know that it's going to get much better either. And if I'm being completely blunt it's a terrible look for Ball after sticking with his friend Miles Bridges through the domestic violence. If the new owners were the slightest bit connected to the fans they would have already relieved Steve Clifford of his duties.

Yep. The lack of responsibility and culture was present when JB was coach too. I remember reading that one of the players had been charged about having too much weed with intent to sell or some such.

I don't think the new majority owners care and unless I'm mistaken, have zero ties to the area. I know one of the minority owners is from or lives in NC though.

• Beer 1

9 hours ago, frankw said:

Well, looking at Ball's family should have given us a hint. He may end up being a good to great player, but trying to make him a leader on the team is a mistake. While he is young, he has not shown anything that would support him being a team leader. 

This team needs a strong personality to keep the team in line, as none of them seem to care about anything but "getting theirs".  Terry did seem to care, but that was not enough. Too bad Gordon isn't that guy, with his crazy contract. At least he could provide leadership, we all know he'll miss more than half the games on the court. 

• Pie 1