• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Assistant Coach Chatter

Mr. Scot

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Person didn't seem to characterize that as a Canales decision. Not sure how I feel about that given the prior situation.

Idk Canales might be keeping him around because of the head coaching experience. It’s not like Caldwell is a total nobody to the league. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Steelo said:

Idk Canales might be keeping him around because of the head coaching experience. It’s not like Caldwell is a total nobody to the league. 

As with most things in this process, if it's a Canales decision, I'm on board with it. If it's a Tepper decision, I question it.

I'd really like to believe Tepper isn't stupid enough to keep another "boss's informant" around in the wake of last year's mess, but I've learned to never underestimate just how dumb Tepper can be in these matters.

For what it's worth though, I would agree with those who say that doesn't seem consistent with Jim Caldwell's character.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

As with most things in this process, if it's a Canales decision, I'm on board with it. If it's a Tepper decision, I question it.

I'd really like to believe Tepper isn't stupid enough to keep another "boss's informant" around in the wake of last year's mess, but I've learned to never underestimate just how dumb Tepper can be in these matters.

For what it's worth though, I would agree with those who say that doesn't seem consistent with Jim Caldwell's character.

I think Caldwell is a perfect mentor and advisor for Canales, I’m happy he’s staying.

• Pie 5

This isn't chatter it's just a wish that Luke Kuechly be hired as a Defensive Quality Control coach or Assistant Linebacker Coach he'd be someone that would be able to bring life to the locker room even though he's called a quite man!

Edited by razorwolf
Aitocorrect
  • Pie 2

5 minutes ago, razorwolf said:

This isn't chatter it's just a wish that Luke Kuechly be hired as a Defensive Quality Control coach or Assistant Linebacker Coach he'd be someone that would be able to bring life to the locker room even though he's called a quite man!

He most definitely would bring credibility. 

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, razorwolf said:

Getting Luke Kuechly to just be around the building and in the locker room is a win. Some of his greatness is bound to rub off on someone somewhere 

Regarding Caldwell, a lot of people need to remember he had a winning record in Detroit with a lot less talent than the Lions have now and made the playoffs twice in 4 years.  They fired him and I know a lot of Lions fans weren't happy.  The Lions then hired Patricia from the Patriots who couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag.

He is well respected around the league and feel like he is an asset rather than a liability for the team.

• Pie 4

Considering Reich was the one to convince Caldwell to come out of retirement, I'm a bit confused why he's staying around. This was huge news at the time, because prior to Reich nobody was able to get Caldwell to un-retire. The whole thing with him being retained smells fishy to me.

5 minutes ago, Luciu5 said:

Considering Reich was the one to convince Caldwell to come out of retirement, I'm a bit confused why he's staying around. This was huge news at the time, because prior to Reich nobody was able to get Caldwell to un-retire. The whole thing with him being retained smells fishy to me.

From what I remember last year when he was hired, his family lives in Charlotte and he already owned a house in the area. He was low hanging fruit. He’s almost 70 so he’s got a cushy job being an advisor and he’s probably the true intermediary between Tepper and the coaches. Might not be a bad thing. 

• Pie 3