• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Can a QB be “fixed?”

I don’t watch much college ball, and I’m not a QB expert. I was lead to believe by many media talking heads and many posters on here that Bryce’s size was his only limitation. I just assumed that his footwork, mechanics, and accuracy were really sound. That didn’t turn out to be the case.

What are some examples of a QB with questionable mechanics that were corrected after some time in the league? 
I can’t think of any. Give me some hope here. 

I don’t know about his mechanics, but Tannehill improved when he went to Tenn. also, when Josh Allen started out there were many that though he was a bust. I remember watbb cb king early games he had accuracy issues. Then BOOM, he’s all pro. 

• Pie 2

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Unfortunately for us, you can't change a guy's physical talent level and that's where Bryce is lacking most sorely. His arm is always going to be subpar. He's always going to struggle to see down field due to his height. Can cleaning up all the mechanical issues help? Sure, I would think so. Help to the level of making him a legit starter? Eh... I doubt it. Help to the level of making him a legit franchise QB? I'd be shocked.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 3

3 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

I don’t know about his mechanics, but Tannehill improved when he went to Tenn. also, when Josh Allen started out there were many that though he was a bust. I remember watbb cb king early games he had accuracy issues. Then BOOM, he’s all pro. 

Did Tannehill though? I mean, he had one really good year. Other than that he was pretty much still the same guy.

Josh Allen improved more as a pure passer than anyone I've ever seen, but he always had ELITE raw physical talent. Bryce could only dream of the talent level Josh Allen has.

• Pie 3

Mahomes does do some crazy crap with his feet at times, but he has an otherworldly arm that can often overcome sketchy mechanics.  On the flip side, there are also a lot of times where Mahomes does set his feet and throw with excellent mechanics.

Cam had that in common with Mahomes.  It wasn't until Cam's shoulder started giving out and Norv started coaching him that he finally started to improve.

The truth is I can't really think of any QB's who came in with a weak arm and sketchy mechanics who overcame it.

Height wise, Doug Flutie is the best comp.  Unfortunately for the comparison, Doug Flutie had excellent mechanics and it allowed him to throw with pretty good velocity.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2

Hate to be cliche and use another Alabama QB but… Tua.

When McDaniel got to Miami he heavily implemented RPO plays from under center for Tua and it was an instant success after the early struggles for Tua.

It just so happens that Young only ran 26 RPO plays this year but 4 of his 11 TD’s came on those RPO plays and he had a rating of 100.2 on those plays.

Just something to keep in mind.

I have no idea if Canales will use RPO but one thing he did do for Mayfield that really helped him was put him under center more.

Have to wonder if we’ll see Bryce under center much more along with more RPO’s.

Edited by MillionDollarCam
  • Pie 2

10 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

Watching* stupid phone 

13 minutes ago, Shocker said:

He doesn’t need to be fixed…stop with the false dilemma bullshet.  He is great we have to allow him to be what he is

Not being a jerk, I’m being genuine, what did he do last year that showed he is great? I’m honestly trying to be open minded. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

Not being a jerk, I’m being genuine, what did he do last year that showed he is great? I’m honestly trying to be open minded. 

He was literally one of the best QBs in college ever.  The traits are there and he is a flat leader.  My question is why in the world would you think he can’t be great?  He has been great.  We have to help him be what he is in the toughest league in the world.

He is 22.  You seriously believe this is on him and he sucks?  Jesus

Edited by Shocker