• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

There’s hope for Tepper…. Jed York example

TheBigKat

Guy went from most hated owner in the NFL to someone most people don’t know exists

he had churned through a ton of coaches prior after they ran off Harbaugh and they finally caught gold in Shanahan / Lynch

he even sounds like a jerk like Tepper so there truly is indeed hope

• Pie 4
  • Flames 1

.....and while he was in prison there was hope for Bernie Madoff too but he went to his grave as a God complex narcissist.

So far Tepper seems to be dripping in that kind of personality fueled first by money and now by public fame whether it be good or bad. 

• Beer 1

Well he has handled this hiring season different than the previous ones.

He wanted a splash and a show and he made himself highly visible throughout. This time through we get none of that.

I know partly it could be sometimes you get who you can get. With Morgan, on a lot of levels he makes sense. And then it's pretty obvious that while Tepper had someone else he was hit for and he's shown in the past that he's willing to wait and do all he can to persuade the guy he wants (even Deshaun Watson), he went with Morgan's guy who I'm sure sold Tepper on FBhim as the guy who can take care of the bulk of this teams problems.

Point is I think he's stepping away from the spotlight/attention (which all he was able to do was make himself look like a pompous spoiled billionaire jackass). I think he's delegating the hiring process to someone else, and he'll hopefully be eliminating himself from the acquisition of players and running of the team.

My hope is that he and his wife just disappears from public and that people forget he owns the team too.

• Pie 2

Just now, rayzor said:

Well he has handled this hiring season different than the previous ones.

I mean, that is the one potential positive with Tepper.  He isn't going to keep doing the same thing.  He might do the wrong thing.  But after a wrong, he makes a noticeable change in approach.  So there is at least reflection into what went wrong or wasn't working. 

Rhule was drastically different than Ron, Frank drastically different than Rhule, new hire is pretty different than Frank.   Rhule era was Retread QBs, Frank era was selling out to get the best possible draft pick QB possible.  I mean, Tepper isn't stubbornly doing the same wrong thing over and over.  He is at least trying to find a secret sauce that works out. 

• Pie 8

Been saying this for a while, Tepper is going through almost the same blueprint as the niners. However, two things concern me.

One, the fact he is literally making mistakes almost to a ‘T’ that have already been done and made. Ironically thinking he’s doing something smarter than everyone else.

And two, more importantly, Tepper is going past the time frame of York to learn those lessons that were already taught long ago.

York is one hard headed mofo even after demotions in his past but what we have is a slower, dumber, much older, and even more hard headed version. I foresee it taking Tepper much longer to learn anything.

• Pie 2

6 hours ago, CRA said:

I mean, that is the one potential positive with Tepper.  He isn't going to keep doing the same thing.  He might do the wrong thing.  But after a wrong, he makes a noticeable change in approach.  So there is at least reflection into what went wrong or wasn't working. 

Rhule was drastically different than Ron, Frank drastically different than Rhule, new hire is pretty different than Frank.   Rhule era was Retread QBs, Frank era was selling out to get the best possible draft pick QB possible.  I mean, Tepper isn't stubbornly doing the same wrong thing over and over.  He is at least trying to find a secret sauce that works out. 

That’s the key difference that makes him better than Richardson. Sure, Tepper hasn’t picked a good hire yet (Richardson hit on one in 20something years: Fox), but at least he isn’t going to fire Morgan and rehire Fitterer. He learns from his mistakes and doesn’t remake them. Unfortunately there’s a lotta mistakes out there for him to make, but hey at least the pool is smaller every time heh

edit: also he’s not afraid to admit he was wrong. After waiting too long to fire Rivera and Hurney, he waited less with Rhule (but still too long), he didn’t hesitate when he saw the problems with Reich and his staff. 

Edited by JawnyBlaze

7 hours ago, onmyown said:

Been saying this for a while, Tepper is going through almost the same blueprint as the niners. However, two things concern me.

One, the fact he is literally making mistakes almost to a ‘T’ that have already been done and made. Ironically thinking he’s doing something smarter than everyone else.

And two, more importantly, Tepper is going past the time frame of York to learn those lessons that were already taught long ago.

York is one hard headed mofo even after demotions in his past but what we have is a slower, dumber, much older, and even more hard headed version. I foresee it taking Tepper much longer to learn anything.

So what your saying is we're going to luck into a pretty decent qb late in the draft this year and trade Bryce for a 4th round pick next year? Only difference is they have a ton of skill players for Purdy to throw to and an all world rb and a great oline and a really good if not great defense.  Maybe tepper will learn like York but San Fran didn't really start trying to address qb until that team was STACKED. we're at least 3 years away from being competitive which sucks because we were also 3 years away in 2020

14 minutes ago, toldozer said:

So what your saying is we're going to luck into a pretty decent qb late in the draft this year and trade Bryce for a 4th round pick next year? Only difference is they have a ton of skill players for Purdy to throw to and an all world rb and a great oline and a really good if not great defense.  Maybe tepper will learn like York but San Fran didn't really start trying to address qb until that team was STACKED. we're at least 3 years away from being competitive which sucks because we were also 3 years away in 2020

Well San Fran found their QB during the time the owner went hands off, like literally disappeared from making decisions he wasn’t qualified to make. Tepper needs to stop lobbying for players he has zero clue how to evaluate. That includes not letting his wife have any influence either as she is not qualified in the slightest either.

Young is going to get another year like it or not. But if he likely fails it is important the football people get to go get their guy (and other players) without any interference. A lot of that stacked 49er team also came together when the owner cut the poo.

It’s hard enough to build a team and find a QB…but it’s important you to let the people you hire prevail or fail on their own merits.

Despite the media bullshit, Tepper’s impatience isn’t an issue, it’s his decision making and drastically overestimating his abilities. Much like York’s past.

Edited by onmyown

24 minutes ago, WarHeel said:

Tepper cares much less about “the culture” than he does about lining his pockets and being the smartest and most powerful dude in the room. 

He doesn’t have to do much to line his pockets. That happens naturally via the NFL and their shared revenue. The money is in the TV deals. The value of every franchise just keeps increasing. 

Does he want to be the smartest most powerful person in the room? Idk, impossible to say what’s in the dudes heart. I do know that he wants to win. If you view all of his actions from the lense of him trying to build a winner as quickly as possible than all of the moves start to make sense. And I mean make sense in the vein that you understand the motivation behind them. 

Did they work? Objectively no. Does he continue to make the same mistake twice? Not that I can see. 

• Pie 1

It's pointless to try to compare him with other owners. The biggest hurdle in all of this is he's letting his ego and emotion control his decisions to the detriment of the franchise. He's shown no sign of that changing much especially considering he still has his wife heavily involved in operations. At this point all we have to hope for is blind luck that he's finally made a good hire or two. But even if that happens he and his wife still have to stop meddling.

Edited by frankw
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, 0kBoomer said:

He doesn’t have to do much to line his pockets. That happens naturally via the NFL and their shared revenue. The money is in the TV deals. The value of every franchise just keeps increasing. 

Does he want to be the smartest most powerful person in the room? Idk, impossible to say what’s in the dudes heart. I do know that he wants to win. If you view all of his actions from the lense of him trying to build a winner as quickly as possible than all of the moves start to make sense. And I mean make sense in the vein that you understand the motivation behind them. 

Did they work? Objectively no. Does he continue to make the same mistake twice? Not that I can see. 

About the only thing he’s gotten right so far is the logo at midfield and bringing soccer to CLT, although I’m sure most of you don’t really care about the latter. 

• Poo 1