• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Senior Bowl Targets

30 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Yeah, the more I saw him at the SR Bowl the more I thought "Fool's gold".  More of the same.  I am not sure I see things as Canales, but I am thinking we need YAC guys--and good route runners who are disciplined, not just better athletes--Ladd?

Then you want Malachi Corley. Dude is a good route runner and a tank. Think deebo or Smitty. He's the guy we have a shot at. At 33, idk, he's likely in a few years in that top 33 from the class, but will go lower. Will he make it to 65, doubt it. But he's a guy in covet. He's a #1 wr, but would likely best live in the slot like deebo and Smitty.

Other on the list is Roman Wilson. He really climbed boards this week as more than an athlete but a wr.  Only guy that beat every CB in 1-1. Quniyon Mitchell otherwise locked everyone else up (he punched his 1st round ticket this week, else I 100% be fine grabbing him at 33 as it's a steal). He's a slot guy

Rice was another standout. Helps to have wr blood too. He's not a top guy, but he's going to make it in the league and be a fine #2/#3 as well. 

Ladd is the guy everyone is over valuing to me. I get it, he has good short area quickness, sinks hips and cuts are best of the lot to get separation on timing routes. He's a #2 or king of the slot guy to me. Ask him to just win deep or contested, not the one I'm looking for. Agree we need another like him other than AT who's getting up there. I'm fine waiting for Pearsall as the same, but bigger version later. Another good route runner, good into/out of breaks, and strong handed. 

• Pie 2

21 minutes ago, chbright said:

Then you want Malachi Corley. Dude is a good route runner and a tank. Think deebo or Smitty. He's the guy we have a shot at. At 33, idk, he's likely in a few years in that top 33 from the class, but will go lower. Will he make it to 65, doubt it. But he's a guy in covet. He's a #1 wr, but would likely best live in the slot like deebo and Smitty.

Other on the list is Roman Wilson. He really climbed boards this week as more than an athlete but a wr.  Only guy that beat every CB in 1-1. Quniyon Mitchell otherwise locked everyone else up (he punched his 1st round ticket this week, else I 100% be fine grabbing him at 33 as it's a steal). He's a slot guy

Rice was another standout. Helps to have wr blood too. He's not a top guy, but he's going to make it in the league and be a fine #2/#3 as well. 

Ladd is the guy everyone is over valuing to me. I get it, he has good short area quickness, sinks hips and cuts are best of the lot to get separation on timing routes. He's a #2 or king of the slot guy to me. Ask him to just win deep or contested, not the one I'm looking for. Agree we need another like him other than AT who's getting up there. I'm fine waiting for Pearsall as the same, but bigger version later. Another good route runner, good into/out of breaks, and strong handed. 

I do want Corley.  As the second WR added.  I like Ladd too.  Also like Virginia's Washington--a sleeper with a lot of YAC ability.

• Pie 1

Between our GM looking at talent, attitude, and will to win ontop of our HC's experience and emphasis on looking for and coaching proper technique and fundamentals ...even without a 1st... it wouldn't shock me if this ironically ended up as one of our better drafts. 

It's deep imo... and if you need a playmaker it's quite a few at each tier. 

If we could manipulate the cap to get us (not all stars) just upgrades in FA a BPA draft could set us up nicely.

As for the senior bowl besides Ladd (wait until the combine) it's a couple LB's out there worth a look. 

• Pie 1

Don't put to much stock into guys getting open on 1 on 1 drills. Those drills are designed to literally help the WR get open. I'd put more relevance on it if they did that at actual games and not these practices. Game speed/ability will always show up there. Not saying that guys that had a good week aren't good, just saying that it's not the be all end all.

Finally starting to dig into prospects this year.  Had my favorites during the season (Odunze, Franklin, McMillan), now diving into the guys on teams I wasn't watching as much. 

One standout at WR (who happens to be close buds with my favorite RB in CFB, 2022):

Jha'Quan Jackson

https://www.thedraftnetwork.com/2024/02/02/jhaquan-jackson-nfl-draft-stock-senior-bowl

Short-area quickness and sudden burst are at the forefront of Jackson's receiving skill set. Jackson spent four seasons as roommates with former Tulane running back Tyjae Spears, another ex-Senior Bowl standout who happened to have an incredible rookie season in the pros. Jackson plays like he paid close attention to Spears.

Rare acceleration allows Jackson to make plays in the short, intermediate, and deep portions of the field. Opposing defensive backs have a difficult time matching Jackson stride for stride. The Luling, Louisiana native can utilize a speed release that puts defenders in a blender or a more tempoed release that offers a unique look. Cornerbacks struggled with it all week long in Mobile.

Jackson creates separation through stop-start quickness and an ability to sink his hips and get out of his breaks. He's a savvy, technically advanced route-runner. Jackson then poses a massive threat to the secondary after the catch. Jackson is a natural yards-after-catch producer, one that combines vision with speed in the open field.

Jackson is also almost certain to make an immediate impact at the next level through special teams. An ace as a special teams returner, Jackson totaled 734 yards as a kick returner and 664 yards and a touchdown as a punt returner. NFL special teams coaches will quickly make Jackson a starring special teams performer.

Sign me up for R3-4

On 2/4/2024 at 9:20 AM, 45catfan said:

If we are going to force a WR at #33, we very well could be looking at WR7 or WR8.  Screw Fitterer and David Tepper. So disappointing to know where we could be this draft and the crumbs we actually have.  I know, you 'make lemonade out of lemons' and hopefully Dan Morgan can.  As a guy who usually enjoys the draft process, last draft and this one has absolutely sucked for me.

Same. I love the draft and half the time I go to watch players this year I just get pissed off we don’t have 1.01. Sucked all year and while most teams would then enjoy bountiful rewards in the offseason, we have nothing. Just more pain. Could’ve traded the 1.01 for an absolute haul. If only we just tanked 2022 and didn’t go on that late season run. We’d be so much better off it’s painful

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, Ricky Prickles said:

How is he not good?

Let’s see:

college:

he never once led his own team in yards in college 

had most of his production come vs one poo team

nfl:

this needs to be explained???

0 production 

can’t run routes

runs out of bounds instead of catching perfectly thrown balls