• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young’s Arm Strength

0kBoomer

Just now, frankw said:

People can certainly blame the player. Might not be fair based on your own individual opinion. But that'a sports. There's no shortage of 1st overall busts that have taken a heap of personal criticism. Was anyone saying what you're saying on behalf or Jamarcus Russell? Hmm? Nope.

Bryce Young got a lot of cover from the media due to playing for Alabama while CJ Stroud was portrayed as a pretty much an idiot and vilified for his upbringing.

It shows not much has changed with the draft process unfortunately.

Now you're talking about the media. You are trying to blame anything and everything except the Panthers for selecting the wrong qb. 

• Pie 1

10 hours ago, MHS831 said:

USA Today:  After acquiring the No. 1 overall pick of the 2023 draft this past spring, the Panthers sent a massive contingent to attend the pro days for each of the top quarterback prospects. Tepper and his wife Nicole, the chief administrative officer of the team, were part of the group.  HEADLINE OF ARTICLE Reporter: David Tepper 'heavily influenced' Panthers' selection of Bryce Young

Nicole has a role in the front office, regardless of her qualifications.   Her husband "heavily influenced" the Young pick.  Do you think Nicole, who visited the pro days, did not share her opinion with her husband?  And do you think it is unreasonable to assume her opinion influenced or empowered him in any way?  

Ahead of Bryce's pro day (Nah, Nicole did not have an opinion):  Fr6lvwUXgAIOLah.thumb.jpg.83192d120bc4cdda57fc4ef20819e535.jpg

Nah, you may be right.  Nicole is not involved.  She probably did not share her opinion with her husband.  How stupid of me. nicole-tepper-talks-with-carolina-panthers-quarterback-bryce-young-9-before-an-nfl-football-game-aga--2023-in-charlotte-nc-ap-photojacob-kupferman-2T03T90.thumb.jpg.2947f6eee952b929ae289f2a8f0637ff.jpg

You’re assuming that the article is accurate in saying Tepper influenced the pick of Bryce. That’s just speculation until Tepper, Fitterer or Reich confirm it. 

13 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Now you're talking about the media. You are trying to blame anything and everything except the Panthers for selecting the wrong qb. 

Oh I'm not at all absolving the Tepper's and their hired yes men believe me.

If you want a scathing assessment I believe the decision makers preferred Bryce over CJ for reasons not entirely about performance on the football field. And they deserve every bit of the ire directed their way for such foolishness.

2 minutes ago, frankw said:

Oh I'm not at all absolving the Tepper's and their hired yes men believe me.

If you want a scathing assessment I believe the decision makers preferred Bryce over CJ for reasons not entirely about performance on the football field. And they deserve every bit of the ire directed their way for such foolishness.

The blame lies solely in the FO decisions.  Blaming Young is like blaming a fire for burning you after you stuck your hand in it.

• Pie 2

10 hours ago, SOJA said:

Drew Brees didn't have the best arms ever and he's one of the best to ever play. You didn't need a bazooka and arm strength was never the reason he was drafted. 

again I wanted Stroud at 1 but what's done is done, I for one would rather cheer for my team than just constantly poo on them. If Bryce is god awful next year at least we have our first round pick 

You guys need to stop. Every fuging one of these QBs that you guys keep naming can throw further and with more accuracy than Bryce off their knees. 

Brees, Brady, etc all had nfl level arms, Bryce does not, end of the cope. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

10 hours ago, SOJA said:

Drew Brees didn't have the best arms ever and he's one of the best to ever play. You didn't need a bazooka and arm strength was never the reason he was drafted. 

again I wanted Stroud at 1 but what's done is done, I for one would rather cheer for my team than just constantly poo on them. If Bryce is god awful next year at least we have our first round pick 

Brees is an example of a great QB with truly NFL average arm strength. His arm wasn't a plus but it also wasn't a deficiency. That's what I was hoping would be the case with Bryce but I also realized leading up to the draft that it was the best case for Bryce's arm. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

The blame lies solely in the FO decisions.  Blaming Young is like blaming a fire for burning you after you stuck your hand in it.

I don't disagree with what you're saying. I'm not saying Bryce is a bad person or that he is necessarily wrong to do what he did. That's for another debate.

All I'm saying is it is perfectly okay to acknowledge that Bryce Young and his agents did engage in deception and game the system to a degree at the combine to retain his draft stock. Because they know what would have happened otherwise.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

13 hours ago, MHS831 said:

USA Today:  After acquiring the No. 1 overall pick of the 2023 draft this past spring, the Panthers sent a massive contingent to attend the pro days for each of the top quarterback prospects. Tepper and his wife Nicole, the chief administrative officer of the team, were part of the group.  HEADLINE OF ARTICLE Reporter: David Tepper 'heavily influenced' Panthers' selection of Bryce Young

Nicole has a role in the front office, regardless of her qualifications.   Her husband "heavily influenced" the Young pick.  Do you think Nicole, who visited the pro days, did not share her opinion with her husband?  And do you think it is unreasonable to assume her opinion influenced or empowered him in any way?  

Ahead of Bryce's pro day (Nah, Nicole did not have an opinion):  Fr6lvwUXgAIOLah.thumb.jpg.83192d120bc4cdda57fc4ef20819e535.jpg

Nah, you may be right.  Nicole is not involved.  She probably did not share her opinion with her husband.  How stupid of me. nicole-tepper-talks-with-carolina-panthers-quarterback-bryce-young-9-before-an-nfl-football-game-aga--2023-in-charlotte-nc-ap-photojacob-kupferman-2T03T90.thumb.jpg.2947f6eee952b929ae289f2a8f0637ff.jpg

SMH. Sure, I’m emotional and angry. It’s called disbelief. Go find some pictures of Stroud with Nicole since he called her mama Tepp.

You said this too:

I have a feeling that Nicole may have made the pick

From your responses, I’m leaning towards you believing that. Everyone on the Panthers staff and ownership had comments and meetings with all of the top QBs. It’s silly to try and use some picture or snippet to prove anything.

I’ll repeat what I said to make it clear. Nicole did not make the pick. I can guarantee that. No reason for you to get upset about my disbelief that someone thinks she did.

55 minutes ago, frankw said:

I don't disagree with what you're saying. I'm not saying Bryce is a bad person or that he is necessarily wrong to do what he did. That's for another debate.

All I'm saying is it is perfectly okay to acknowledge that Bryce Young and his agents did engage in deception and game the system to a degree at the combine to retain his draft stock. Because they know what would have happened otherwise.

If a team falls for the hype like fans instead of doing their own research and self evaluation of a player then they are not professionals. That's amateur fan level ignorance and they should not be in charge of drafting players for a multi-billion dollar team in the first place. 

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

This. All the deficiencies he showed in his rookie year were there clear to be seen in college. The Panthers just thought he could overcome them. 

1 hour ago, frankw said:

Your job as a draft prospect and a draft prospect's agent is to maximize your draft stock. Blaming Bryce for deception is just dumb. 

Honestly, the Panthers were smitten and sold. Bryce could've stepped on the scale at 189 and floated dying ducks at the combine and they would've still drafted him because they were sold on him being a "super processor" who could overcome any and all physical deficiencies.