• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Go back to power running scheme..

Jmac

3 hours ago, Jmac said:

Most of the teams in the Playoffs can run the ball behind a stout Oline. Fancy blocking schemes only go so far.

and a whole power blocking scheme will only get you but so far either. Teams will stack the box and force Bryce to make throws he has never been able to and will never be able to make.

• Pie 1

The scheme we are probably going to run definitely isnt a power run.  It will actually focus on passing to rb a lot if its anything like they did in TB.  We will probably draft a pass catching rb in the mid to later rounds.

• Pie 1

34 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

The scheme we are probably going to run definitely isnt a power run.  It will actually focus on passing to rb a lot if its anything like they did in TB.  We will probably draft a pass catching rb in the mid to later rounds.

What are we going to use Sanders for?  He's not a power back.  He's better suited for quick passes out of the backfield as he works better in space.  Again, we lack a power back.

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

What are we going to use Sanders for?  He's not a power back.  He's better suited for quick passes out of the backfield as he works better in space.  Again, we lack a power back.

June cut probably lol.  Dont really save anything but the fact Canales mentioned Hubbard and didnt mention Sanders at all probably isnt the best sign.

Canales previously spoke on a podcast last season that it took a bit of time for the line in Tampa Bay to improve from their duo heavy scheme under Brady to a mid zone heavy scheme. So no, we will not be a primary gap scheme.

• Beer 1

13 hours ago, Jmac said:

Obvious the Oline can not zone block or handle lateral blocking schemes. They excell at straight ahead run blocking and building the pass game off of that.

Trying to fit a square peg in a round hole is pointless. Don't waste another season trying to force the issue. Hubbard is a good back who can hit the hole and follow his blockers.

The other dude "not to be named" has shown me nothing. Pick up a power back in the draft and start getting back to what they did best. 

These same guys blocked well for Wilks and ran the ball well. Reich came in and tried to get fancy and fugged it all up. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Pick up some road graders and start kicking ass and taking names again.

This would be the path of least resistance. The alternative(which will likely have to happen anyway) is the almost complete rebuild of the OL over the next 3-4 offseasons. I say that because we will need adequate depth, which we haven't had for a more than a decade.

Edited by kungfoodude

7 hours ago, Tr3ach said:

June cut probably lol.  Dont really save anything but the fact Canales mentioned Hubbard and didnt mention Sanders at all probably isnt the best sign.

He will get moved or jettisoned. I would think there isn't likely anyone left in that building who thinks he has any shot at helping the franchise.

• Pie 1

Nothing would please me more, but that's not the kind of offense this coach runs. So I suspect they'll pivot on the OL and focus on WR that get open quickly and we'll be more dink and dunk. My preference is to get a Derrick Henry type and mash people because it's a different offense, many modern defenses can't handle it. The problem is when you get to the playoffs. Does the downhill smash offense work against the top teams? Can you score with them when you need to? That's a harder sell otherwise more would run it. 

Will tell you what I've read...

Canales' offensive schemes seem to heavily use zone blocking.

There was word in both Seattle and Tampa that their lines werrn't suited for what they were running there (Canales was not the OC in Seattle) but Canales believed they would "catch on" over time, and ultimately felt they did.

If I were guessing, I'd expect a similar approach here.

(hopefully with better results than last season)

14 hours ago, 45catfan said:

We have to get a new RB then.  Chuba, while much improved, is NOT a bell cow back.

you don't need a bellcow RB in today's NFL.  If you have a good pass game and scheme....anyone can run.   You can draft a RB.

CMC is an icing on the cake type player.  Luxury.  

• Pie 1

12 hours ago, Tr3ach said:

Everything I've read makes me think we're headed toward being more of a passing team.

• Pie 2