• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Re: Ben Johnson

Mr. Scot

It sounds like he might not really want to be a head coach that badly.

There's been some conflicting reports. General belief is that Johnson still feels like he's not ready for a head coaching job yet.

Another source though said that he didn't like that Commanders executives were "basketball guys" who he believed didn't really know football.

Whatever the story, the general perception is that he kind of screwed Washington over making his decision while they were in flight to come see him.

And as it turns out, the five members of the Commanders brass that were on the plane at the time actually learned that he had turned them down via Twitter before they ever got his text.

Ouch 😕

• Pie 3

you have to imagine that he really just doesn't want to be a HC. 

after twice pulling out that would kind of seal the deal for me in the future. if you're looking for a coach, don't sit and hope for him. just get a guy who isn't wishywashy on the decision. get a guy who who knows he wants the job.

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Whether or not he wants to be a head coach, if this is true he definitely didn't want it to be in Washington.

i think people just like the idea of him as HC. he's not eager, that's for sure. that's a red flag. he's looking for the most ideal situation and i just don't think he's ever going to find it. 

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, rayzor said:

after twice pulling out that would kind of seal the deal for me in the future. if you're looking for a coach, don't sit and hope for him. just get a guy who isn't wishywashy on the decision. get a guy who who knows he wants the job.

He pulled out of Carolina and Washington, probably the two worst organizarions in the league. 

Obviously there’s hope in in DC but for now they are what they are. I don’t think anyone can fault him for steering clear of Carolina. 

As far as the commanders, pairing an air raid offensive coordinator with a defensive minded head coach seems like a recipe to be looking for one or both next season. 

If he had serious reservations about taking the job then its in his best interests, and Washington's, that he turned down the job.

"He is considered a coach who prefers holing up in his office, coming up with game plans and playing with mad scientist vibes rather than leading a locker room."

He may have a good understanding of his limitations. Norv Turner and Wade Phillips were excellent coordinators in their prime. But, neither excelled as a HC.

Another source though said that he didn't like that Commanders executives were "basketball guys" who he believed didn't really know football.

Johnson needs to feel comfortable in the team environment. He very well could be right in his assessment. If he went to D.C. and bombed, it could affect the way he's perceived throughout the NFL for the rest of his coaching career.

I'm looking forward to seeing if he and Campbell can get Detroit over the hump. The really should have made the SB this year.

10 minutes ago, rayzor said:

i think people just like the idea of him as HC. he's not eager, that's for sure. that's a red flag. he's looking for the most ideal situation and i just don't think he's ever going to find it. 

It honestly could just be good self-awareness.

It was reported elsewhere that he and his wife say down and discussed their situation and agreed that they love where they are now.

One thing for sure: If he ever becomes a free agent, he'll have half the teams in the league lining up to pay him.

• Pie 2

23 minutes ago, rayzor said:

While I agree, let's not forget McDaniels actually accepted a job and then reneged and he still got another head coaching gig. If he directs another top 5 offense next year, he'll have plenty of interest next offseason as well. But he may also be like McDaniels and other good OCs in that he's better as coordinator than as a HC.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, axl-69 2.0 said:

Wonder if hes a complete ass like Josh McDaniels? Done well as OC but give him a team and he cant handle it. 

Not sure I see it. McDaniels certainly believes he's head coaching material. The problem is...he's not.

Johnson? Don't know. Some guys just really don't wanna be in charge. Maybe that's him.

• Pie 2