• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Looks like to clear cap space

Panthero

9 hours ago, SOJA said:

Restructure likely coming for Moton and Bozeman at least. I think they try like hell to trade Hayden Hurst. 

The reason Moton number is so high is we've restructured him time over time.  If he's going to be here long term just extend him and stop pushing the money off.  His cap hit won't shrink magically and then in a season we're going to be sitting here saying "Why is moton getting 40m+"

• Pie 4

They are going to have to get creative and restructure a number of veterans and create voidable years far down the road. It's the only way at this point if we want to compete anytime soon. Yes, we will have a lot of dead money, but the good news is we have a ton a cap space beyond this year to do it.

We can also extend a few guys in order to give us more wiggle room this year.

The other option is to do nothing and eat another year of not competing and focus on the 2025 season.

Edited by Dingo_ate_Babies
blAH
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, BrianS said:

Worst roster in the NFL.  30 million in cap.  This is not my definition of "good".

Yep. Personally, I hope we don’t kick the can down the road. Let’s focus on the draft. Trade anyone we can for picks that isn’t going to be a long term guy or isn’t worth the contract we’d have to pay. Don’t game the cap for a 2024 where we’ll suck anyway. Let’s suck for 2025 draft while trying to get the younger guys better and keep all of our future cap space in tact. Remember pre-2023 we were talking about how huge our 2024 cap space was? 2-15 later and it’s not and we got squadoosh for it. Don’t kick the can so we can bring in more mediocre FAs like Sanders, Hurst and Houston. I’d rather take a chance on UDFAs. Give out top bonuses and see if we can pull another Norwell or Addison.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, BrianS said:

Worst roster in the NFL.  30 million in cap.  This is not my definition of "good".

From what I understand, the cap isn't bad. Personnel wasn't Suleiman's job. We aren't really handcuffed in a way that's earth shattering, which is really what you want.  We have the freedom to clear up a lot of cap by making roster moves. We may not be in the best position, but we're far from the worst. Personnel decisions won't be hamstrung because of cap. We just need to be more discriminating with how we draft and how we spend. I've read that we can have as much as around 45-50 mil before we have to make major decisions, provided that we cut some dead weight. We're still in transition, and it's a process. 

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

From what I understand, the cap isn't bad. Personnel wasn't Suleiman's job. We aren't really handcuffed in a way that's earth shattering, which is really what you want.  We have the freedom to clear up a lot of cap by making roster moves. We may not be in the best position, but we're far from the worst. Personnel decisions won't be hamstrung because of cap. We just need to be more discriminating with how we draft and how we spend. I've read that we can have as much as around 45-50 mil before we have to make major decisions, provided that we cut some dead weight. We're still in transition, and it's a process. 

Bingo. What is important is cap flexibility down the road. Trying to fix everything this offseason is gonna lead to many more offseasons of sub 50M in cap.

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Steelo said:

Bingo. What is important is cap flexibility down the road. Trying to fix everything this offseason is gonna lead to many more offseasons of sub 50M in cap.

"Flexibility," that's the word that I was looking for, and "cap flexibility" is an excellent term.

I'd add that it leads to roster flexibility, which is what you want, especially if you're trying to rebuild.

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 1

The worst is when you have an aging and underperforming roster full of expensive vets and there is no cap relief in sight. The Saints are a team that come to mind. We've been there before, but we're not there now. The flexibility is there to bring in some new blood. 

Last season, we spent our money on a bunch of aging vets who didn't perform (outside of Thielen). Don't make that mistake again.

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, Steelo said:

The reason Moton number is so high is we've restructured him time over time.  If he's going to be here long term just extend him and stop pushing the money off.  His cap hit won't shrink magically and then in a season we're going to be sitting here saying "Why is moton getting 40m+"

I would extend him as well. He’s never injured, plays a position where you can play a long time, he’s a very good player that (I think at least) wants to be here, he’s a team leader etc.

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, Dingo_ate_Babies said:

The ONLY option is to do nothing and eat another year of not competing and focus on the 2025 season.

This is the right way, we arent winning poo next season anyone who tells you otherwise needs to stop huffing glue. 

Edited by PootieNunu
  • Pie 1

Spotrac says we are at $32M - the number I heard was closer to $28.5M - and we are ranked 11th in the league, so we aren't that bad off in those terms.  Also according to Spotrac we can clear an additional $20M if we restructure the 7 available putting us around $50M. Cutting Thomas is $2.2M, cutting Donte is almost $6M.

If we do just the restructures we would still have around $29M - but keep in mind we also have the resign or replace Luvu, Franklin, Henderson, Gross-Matos, Haynes, Grugier-Hill, Chinn, Shenault, ISM - AND rookies which won't be too bad since we have no 1st rd pick.

But yeah this is gonna take a few years boys.

• Pie 1

19 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

This is the right way, we arent winning poo next season anyone who tells you otherwise needs to stop huffing glue. 

In my opinion the only way we spend is extending our players that are worth it and adding long term pieces.  Unless its a CRAZY drastic need I don't wanna see a bunch of 1 year rentals.  We can fill the ranks with UDFA and see what shakes out.

• Pie 1