• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Locked on Panthers: Why the Panthers should pay Derrick Brown

16 hours ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Not really. The clear move was to trade up for Herbert, but instead we backed up the Brinks truck and hooked our future to THE Teddy 2 Gloves. 

How many impact players have we added since Brown?

Herbert hasnt won poo yet, hasnt even been the best QB from his draft, hell you could put him as the 3rd best qb from his draft. He has been better than our QBs but he hasnt been a world beater. 

Teddy also gave us our best QB play post Cam but that isnt saying a whole lot and it still was a dumb ass move. 

The correct play was to ride Grier to the #1 pick but they screwed that up. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

6 hours ago, PootieNunu said:

How many impact players have we added since Brown?

Herbert hasnt won poo yet, hasnt even been the best QB from his draft, hell you could put him as the 3rd best qb from his draft. He has been better than our QBs but he hasnt been a world beater. 

Teddy also gave us our best QB play post Cam but that isnt saying a whole lot and it still was a dumb ass move. 

The correct play was to ride Grier to the #1 pick but they screwed that up. 

Herbert has been better than Lawrence

• Pie 1

14 hours ago, BrianS said:

In fairness, up until this season it's been a valid question as to whether DB was going to be an elite player.  His first two years were terrible.  Last season we started to see glimpses of the player he could be.  It wasn't until this year that we all saw DB become what everyone wanted him to be from the start.

It's a funny thing.  His effect on the passing game hasn't really changed.  His pressure numbers, QB hits, sacks . . . it's not any different than it was his first season.  He takes up two blockers.  That's his job.  It's good that as a fan base we've come to understand the value of a DT who can do that.  We clearly missed the mark back when we made the Star / KK decision.

No they weren’t. He was very good every single year. You just had to know what to look for. Some of us were saying it all along. 

• Beer 2

14 hours ago, BrianS said:

In fairness, up until this season it's been a valid question as to whether DB was going to be an elite player.  His first two years were terrible.  Last season we started to see glimpses of the player he could be.  It wasn't until this year that we all saw DB become what everyone wanted him to be from the start.

It's a funny thing.  His effect on the passing game hasn't really changed.  His pressure numbers, QB hits, sacks . . . it's not any different than it was his first season.  He takes up two blockers.  That's his job.  It's good that as a fan base we've come to understand the value of a DT who can do that.  We clearly missed the mark back when we made the Star / KK decision.

Yay!

My entertainment continues!

• Beer 1

18 hours ago, csx said:

Herbert has been better than Lawrence

Lawrence was beat the heck up pretty good last season over and over. Lawrence is a damn good QB and I have a feeling will be showing it next season. That guy was just born to play QB at a high level and very well. I dont even care for him or the Jags but he is damn good and last season i am willing to bet will be an outlier. Look at the season before.

On 2/16/2024 at 9:16 AM, BrianS said:

I feel like he is much more than that. Watch him, he does so much more than just take up space. That guy is a key piece to a defense and at the top of the league at his position. He is VERY valuable to this team. I did not even realize how valuable until this season.

6 hours ago, Ricky Prickles said:

Lawrence was beat the heck up pretty good last season over and over. Lawrence is a damn good QB and I have a feeling will be showing it next season. That guy was just born to play QB at a high level and very well. I dont even care for him or the Jags but he is damn good and last season i am willing to bet will be an outlier. Look at the season before.

So was Herbert. Though my point was that the number 1 pick isn't the magic pill to get the best QB. 

11 hours ago, csx said:

So was Herbert. Though my point was that the number 1 pick isn't the magic pill to get the best QB. 

Going to have to agree with you there. Honestly it feels like over history having the number 2 or later pick for a QB seems like your chances are just as good if not better to get the best QB as well as it not costing you near as much to move up anywhere after that top number 1 overall pick if a team should so be inclined.

On 2/15/2024 at 7:06 PM, Adb6368 said:

Many reasons to sign him. However, first and foremost, he deserves to get paid because he is not Isaiah Simmons. 

maybe the only smart decision we’ve made in the draft in the past 4 years. 

Eh, don’t want to mention it as Brown has been solid but if we truly wanted him, we could have easily traded up for Herbert who went 1 pick before Brown. The Giants (at 5) and Lions (at 3) said their picks were available for trade and I don’t think it would have cost much, especially compared to the load we handed to the Bears.

Don’t want to be a huge downer, but even when we get something right it’s not always the thing that would have been the best. I’m happy to extend Brown, but he might be done with his second deal by the time we finally find out franchise QB.

Edited by WhoKnows

23 hours ago, TheBigKat said:

A family man

a DAWG 

man O-line wrecker

All the traits for us to drag out this negotiation and BOTCH it

IMG_6844.jpeg

Botch it? Wait till we hear that we traded Brown away for picks so we could extend Burns.

Edited by WhoKnows
  • Pie 1