• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Getting Crunch Time for the Panthers and Brian Burns

45catfan

What to do with Burns?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Burns should be

• Frachised tagged
    • Transitional tagged
    • Re-singed to a top 5 Edge contract
    • Traded for draft capital or player(s)
    • Let test free agency and if signed away, at least get a high comp pick in 2025

8 hours ago, Shocker said:

If the compensation was 2 firsts we need to take it.  We have Brown to resign as well as Luvu and we need to build an entire offense basically.  
Maybe even 1 first would do it if mid round.

I don’t like the idea of letting good players walk but his asking price is too expensive for what he has done here

I'm not sure if we HAVE to get two first rounders, maybe we can negotiate.  Why?  Nobody is giving us that compensation for Burns.  Possibly a first and some other lesser compensation or player swap Moore to Chicago.  The non-exclusive tag is what I want (two first rounders), but am worried there will be no takers and we will have to play him under the tag which is VERY expensive.

4 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I'm not sure if we HAVE to get two first rounders, maybe we can negotiate.  Why?  Nobody is giving us that compensation for Burns.  Possibly a first and some other lesser compensation or player swap Moore to Chicago.  The non-exclusive tag is what I want (two first rounders), but am worried there will be no takers and we will have to play him under the tag which is VERY expensive.

At this point just get a 2nd and 4rth and be done with this fiasco.  Live and learn

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

At this point just get a 2nd and 4rth and be done with this fiasco.  Live and learn

Do you know if under the non-exclusive tag rules, the trading team HAS to give up two firsts or is that the cap or just a recommendation?  I think we can find a partner, just not for two firsts.

For me, there's two paths here:

• Re-sign him to a 4-5 year deal. 2024 at a fair number, but more backloaded beginning in '25 with a heavy increase that equates to a $28-$29M deal. Every year the market is reset, so $28/$29M per is going to be top-10 money, but won't be outlandish for a 26-year old EDGE in his prime. One who also kept his nose clean, didn't holdout and played on awful teams for three years. This is my preference.

• FT and trade as part of a package for a FRP + Jameson Williams (Burns + Thielen going to DET) or a FRP + 2nd rounder in '25 to replace the SRP lost in the trade-up with Chicago last year. In this scenario we HAVE to already have Bryce Huff or Josh Allen lined up as a replacement. We would then still have a 26-year old EDGE on the team in his prime at a much more digestable cap number (probably in the $10-13M per range for Huff). More money to spend in FA too. We also are now in the first round and still have our #33 pick. Lots more options there adding young talent in a deep OL/WR draft. 
  • Pie 2

25 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

Non-exclusive tag him. Tell him the old offer is the absolute best he’ll get from Carolina and let him go find a team to sign him to better deal. If he does, let him go and get those 2 firsts

• Pie 1

Burns had/had more interest than some Huddlers believe.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2024/02/commanders-inquired-on-panthers-brian-burns-in-2023

Playing on the tag is a real possibility. Although I would like to get a first+ for him, I'm not gonna cry if he remains a Panther for at least the next season. Paying him $30 mil should not happen though (or I will be crying).

4 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Do you know if under the non-exclusive tag rules, the trading team HAS to give up two firsts or is that the cap or just a recommendation?  I think we can find a partner, just not for two firsts.

two firsts. that's the compensation. 

4 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Burns had/had more interest than some Huddlers believe.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2024/02/commanders-inquired-on-panthers-brian-burns-in-2023

Playing on the tag is a real possibility. Although I would like to get a first+ for him, I'm not gonna cry if he remains a Panther for at least the next season. Paying him $30 mil should not happen though (or I will be crying).

i really don't want to pay $20+ mil for burns (tag for him is $23), but if we can get two firsts for him i guess it's worth the risk.

i just don't see that happening.

maybe they can get someone to trade for him for a first this year without having to take the risk of the tag. if someone wants him, they'd probably be willing to jump at the option of only giving up 1 first.

• Pie 1

21 minutes ago, rayzor said:

i really don't want to pay $20+ mil for burns (tag for him is $23), but if we can get two firsts for him i guess it's worth the risk.

i just don't see that happening.

maybe they can get someone to trade for him for a first this year without having to take the risk of the tag. if someone wants him, they'd probably be willing to jump at the option of only giving up 1 first.

I just don't think that we'll accept only a first because it really serves little purpose this offseason. We'd just be creating another hole for little reason, unless it's a really high first where you could possibly pick up Brock Bowers for example. I don't think any team that high is necessarily going to trade with us.