• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ryan Leaf says Caleb Williams needs work, should sit for a year

1 hour ago, Ornias said:

I personally think Jayden Daniels is the best QB in this draft. I don't trust USC of UNC qbs.

I'm surprised how many drafts have the 3 of them going top 5. A Jordan Travis or whoever could be just as good day 2 or 3. Nobody separated themselves from the pack this past season from what I watched

3 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

I'm surprised how many drafts have the 3 of them going top 5. A Jordan Travis or whoever could be just as good day 2 or 3. Nobody separated themselves from the pack this past season from what I watched

Travis could be a steal in the later rounds to someone like Baltimore or GB. Sit for a couple of years to learn and heal up. I just don't see this as a great QB draft. 

• Beer 1

10 minutes ago, Ornias said:

Travis could be a steal in the later rounds to someone like Baltimore or GB. Sit for a couple of years to learn and heal up. I just don't see this as a great QB draft. 

I'm still trying to get a grasp on how scouting reports are saying Travis is undersized at 6'1" 212 when Caleb Williams is the same height and listed at 215, and we just went through this whole Bryce thing with the media generally not making a big deal out of it. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Jackie Lee said:

I'm still trying to get a grasp on how scouting reports are saying Travis is undersized at 6'1" 212 when Caleb Williams is the same height and listed at 215, and we just went through this whole Bryce thing with the media generally not making a big deal out of it. 

I definitely wouldn't consider that "undersized". Less than ideal? Sure. But it's not anomalous size for a high level NFL QB. And yeah, the media will definitely completely overlook things for certain prospects and then knock other prospects for the exact same thing based on nothing other than their preconceived narratives. 

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I definitely wouldn't consider that "undersized". Less than ideal? Sure. But it's not anomalous size for a high level NFL QB. And yeah, the media will definitely completely overlook things for certain prospects and then knock other prospects for the exact same thing based on nothing other than their preconceived narratives. 

Yeah, these guys with another 10 pounds of muscle, not far off from Aaron Rodgers or the like. If Bryce seriously got up to 220 he would be so awkwardly shaped he probably wouldn't be able to throw a functional football any better than now, just different limitations. Russell Wilson has a couple inches on Bryce and a different body type and he struggles to stay at like 215 to be functional at his height

Caleb Williams comes off as a prick who you just want to b*tch slap. Don’t get me started on his father. That family has not one ounce of humility and only cares about me, me, me, me, me. You really think vets in the NFL gonna follow a dude like that? 

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Oh I have Maye as the 3rd best QB. I agree about him struggling at the end of the season. I'm just saying he has the talent to win ROTY if he's on a team with weapons.

I also agree with Daniels going #1. Something about Caleb was off this past season. It's crazy because I was a big fan of his talent before the season. He seems to have a weird personality off the field. 

I think he might just be too confident to a fault. Hero ball caught up with him a few times last year. Those windows are all tighter and those pockets collapse more quickly at the next level. 

This will all seem pointless if he ends up being the talent they claim but he wouldn't be the first QB that had similar faults/tendencies that flopped because of it.

It all just depends on how he adjusts.

12 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Ryan Leaf giving advice to a young QB is not something I care to take serious.

Slow news day. OP you get a free pass today.

Actually, he's a really good analyst. And I think that a lot of what gives his words weight is the terrible journey he had as an NFL QB and the wreckage after it. You either come through something like that either wiser or dead. 

The guy earned his right to say what could be wrong in the NFL for a player.

It’s amazing that Cam Newton, a former NFL MVP who played in a Super Bowl, catches more flack for his comments on NFL QB’s than Ryan Leaf, one of the biggest and most memorable busts in NFL history. 

• Flames 1

The Athletic did a breakdown of Mayes and Daniels and the conclusion was that it is not even close, Daniels is way behind Mayes. Daniels is a great runner, but not as developed as a passer as they had thought. They did a comparison to Lamar due to similar playing style in College, and said the same thing, he is significantly behind where Lamar was as a passer, despite being older. I can’t find the article again as it was a while back, but it was really interesting.

• Pie 1

25 minutes ago, hepcat said:

It’s amazing that Cam Newton, a former NFL MVP who played in a Super Bowl, catches more flack for his comments on NFL QB’s than Ryan Leaf, one of the biggest and most memorable busts in NFL history. 

I don’t think you should discount Leaf because he busted 25 years ago. Do you really think he’s the same guy? I’ve only seen him once or twice in interviews, but he comes across as thoughtful guy.

One main reason Cam gets a lot of flack is his delivery, he’s a smart guy, but he doesn’t always come across that way.

42 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Cam is either hated or loved no in between.

12 minutes ago, Martin said:

I don’t think you should discount Leaf because he busted 25 years ago. Do you really think he’s the same guy? I’ve only seen him once or twice in interviews, but he comes across as thoughtful guy.

One main reason Cam gets a lot of flack is his delivery, he’s a smart guy, but he doesn’t always come across that way.

No Cam gets hate because of his appearance. Guy wears crazy hats and clothes so people hate on him for that reason. Cam is a cocky guy so that rubs some people the wrong way.

• Pie 1

As for Drake Maye, the Justin Herbert comp is pretty much spot on. All the same positives coming out, all the same negatives. The big difference was that Herbert played on a well rounded team for a coaching staff that protected him to the point that it felt like they didn't trust him where Maye played for a team with no defense and the coaching staff approached games with a Mike Shula "please save me elite QB" mindset. 

• Flames 1