• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Canales on fixing Bryce's footwork

1 hour ago, frankw said:

None of us can know that.

You can cope with the pick without these mental gymnastics.

It's easy to say it's mental" gymnastics," but it's really not. It's an educated guess at worst. John McClain, very highly respected in NFL journalistic circles and still a Texans insider though retired from the Houston Chronicle said that he believes that Young would've been their pick. 

At some point, we just have to acknowledge that we were just unlucky. 

• Pie 1

15 minutes ago, frankw said:

You perceive the criticism of Bryce Young to be bashing when it's simply logical application of what we know of him in the National Football League. He finished with one of the worst rookie seasons in history. We can't change that. In this very thread someone just touted his Heisman trophy like that means anything. What do you make of that? You have to evenly apply the standards you are expecting for dialogue on this issue.

As for Canales from what I can tell a good number of people think he can be capable of doing positive things here. They just don't know that he's been given the hand to be able to do that with under the guise that he's been hired to fix Bryce Young. That's precisely why he ended up being our choice for the job if we are just laying all our cards on the table and being honest with ourselves.

Well that's a lovely way to water down what's actually being said here. The fact is that everybody wants to characterize Bryce as a midget who somehow swindled his way into the number one pick. This is far from reality. And also people want to look at the hardships of the offense last year as a whole and pin it completely on Bryce. This isn't atypical, many quarterbacks in the NFL know they're going to have to deal with the brunt of the offenses production because they're the leader. But as soon as anybody brings up the fact that our receivers were absolute garbage in our offensive line could be beat by most of the defensive lines in the SEC, people start calling you a Bryce defender. It's just wild to see everybody tear down a 22-year-old kid after his first year on a horrible team without seeing what he can do in year two with some stability and better talent around him.

Edited by XClown1986
  • Pie 8

Someone needs to make a documentary on this phenomenon at some point looking back on how a QB prospect with so many obvious physical talent red flags duped the majority of the football world when these protests are normally absolutely nit picked to death leading up to the draft.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Someone needs to make a documentary on this phenomenon at some point looking back on how a QB prospect with so many obvious physical talent red flags duped the majority of the football world when these protests are normally absolutely nit picked to death leading up to the draft.

So by this logic Kyler Murray should have gone in the 6th round, and Russell Wilson even though he went in the third round should have gone undrafted. Got it

• Poo 1

14 minutes ago, Johnstonny said:

You can fix his foot work till he looks like Fred Astaire but the crux of the problem will always be there. Glad Canales is taking this on as his pet project.

Canales has little to no alternative than to spread the narrative that he is looking to "fix" Young.  He may think on the inside that there is no way in hell to fix him but he still has to put that out there and try to make it work.  Reich took an alternate approach and I guess it got him a lucrative retirement package but I think Canales has more career ahead of him than behind him so I believe he is right to go in with this mindset. 

That said if you try your best to "fix" him and spend boatloads of money to protect him and it still doesn't work, then you have a case to move on while still being in good standing with Tepper. I'm good with his approach and hope (which is dwindling) it can yield significant results.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

Canales has little to no alternative than to spread the narrative that he is looking to "fix" Young.  He may think on the inside that there is no way in hell to fix him but he still has to put that out there and try to make it work.  Reich took an alternate approach and I guess it got him a lucrative retirement package but I think Canales has more career ahead of him than behind him so I believe he is right to go in with this mindset. 

That said if you try your best to "fix" him and spend boatloads of money to protect him and it still doesn't work, then you have a case to move on while still being in good standing with Tepper. I'm good with his approach and hope (which is dwindling) it can yield significant results.

See this is the type of thing I'm talking about. Spread the narrative that he's trying to fix Bryce? What if he is actually trying to fix the issues that he has? Would that be so insane?

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, XClown1986 said:

See this is the type of thing I'm talking about. Spread the narrative that he's trying to fix Bryce? What if he is actually trying to fix the issues that he has? Would that be so insane?

My apologies if the post caused confusion.  I thought it was fairly clear that I did think he would need to try and make it work but sometimes what I type is not a clear reflection of thought. 

Simply put, the narrative is that Canales is trying to "fix" Bryce.  Canales needs to follow through with said narrative.  If it doesn't work, move on.

8 minutes ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

• Pie 1

Folks you all may be right--you may be smarter than me about this and you may ignore things such as the difference between Baker in 2022 here and 2023 under Canales in Tampa.  You may think that Russell Wilson's decline was not due to Canales' absence, and you may think that Geno Smith would have excelled in Carolina or anywhere other than Seattle.  You may think that constant penetration through A gaps is no big deal, and you may think that getting sacked and blitzed when nobody was open is no excuse for a rookie QB.  Having said that, I am on hopeium and know that if I claimed to know that he is a bust when most experts are still unconvinced, that would mean that I am on dopeium.  Boom.

• Pie 6

34 minutes ago, XClown1986 said:

Well that's a lovely way to water down what's actually being said here. The fact is that everybody wants to characterize Bryce as a midget who somehow swindled his way into the number one pick. This is far from reality. And also people want to look at the hardships of the offense last year as a whole and pin it completely on Bryce. This isn't atypical, many quarterbacks in the NFL know they're going to have to deal with the brunt of the offenses production because they're the leader. But as soon as anybody brings up the fact that our receivers were absolute garbage in our offensive line could be beat by most of the defensive lines in the SEC, people start calling you a Bryce defender. It's just wild to see everybody tear down a 22-year-old kid after his first year on a horrible team without seeing what he can do in year two with some stability and better talent around him.

You say I'm simply watering down what you stated then immediately go on to claim "everyone" is calling him a "midget". You could just acknowledge you are operating with the same level of bias in this discussion as anyone else that you accuse of.

I am hard pressed to recall anyone here that has argued our receivers and oline were very good. Clearly they were not. But you also have to acknowledge Bryce Young didn't help matters himself and that happened apparently more often than you would like to discuss. And if you want to vehemently go to bat for Bryce Young you cannot do so just blanket labeling all the receivers garbage while expecting kid gloves for Bryce Young. Again he played his part. His deep ball all extenuating circumstances aside has been mediocre at best and simply atrocious at worst and that's going back to his proday. It is there for anyone to see. We passed on the QB with the better arm talent. Now we are left to salvage what we can and that is what Canales was hired to do.

You act like he's the first 22 year old QB to be scrutinized. Well sorry but that comes with the territory of being a #1 overall pick. He's had 40+ million reasons to brush it off and get his ass in the weight room and prove any doubters wrong. But apparently he looks exactly the same as last offseason. What are you gonna do eh?

Edited by frankw
  • Beer 2

33 minutes ago, XClown1986 said:

So by this logic Kyler Murray should have gone in the 6th round, and Russell Wilson even though he went in the third round should have gone undrafted. Got it

There's more to it than just height. Stop being simple.

• Pie 2

37 minutes ago, top dawg said:

It's easy to say it's mental" gymnastics," but it's really not. It's an educated guess at worst. John McClain, very highly respected in NFL journalistic circles and still a Texans insider though retired from the Houston Chronicle said that he believes that Young would've been their pick. 

At some point, we just have to acknowledge that we were just unlucky. 

Unlucky how?

• Pie 1

37 minutes ago, XClown1986 said:

But you literally saw a washed up QB put up 300+ yards, 2TDs and 27 points with the same supporting cast.